Author Topic: Two New Daniel Martin Modules?  (Read 4668 times)

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Two New Daniel Martin Modules?
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 10:37:18 AM »
Tom, I assume you are just translating for yourself to understand while playing? Or did you actually write the text down somewhere or even update the design with your machine translation?

Btw, is there a way to translate the text in the design without updating each event individually?

I'm updating for myself. I was initially going to do just enough to get the gist of what was happening, but I've since started trying to improve the quality. I'm running the text through four different online translators, and there are some parts that all of them choke on. When this occurs, I'm improvising (making stuff up) based upon the context, and hoping I match what the author intended.

I'm using Geotext (by Merric Blackman) to extract and reimport the text. It could also be done with Geoaid.

After the initial translation is imported, I play through that section. At this point, many of the more glaring translation errors become VERY obvious, and I use the standard FRUA editor to make corrections.

If I can come up with (in my judgement) a pretty good translation, I'll offer it to Dr Dan on the chance that it might prove helpful in making an "official" translation.

It's going slowly, though, because I'm only working on it when I need to take a break from DC. (When the scripting is hurting my head and my editing makes things worse instead of better. Or when I'm stuck and need to clear my mind and start over.)
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2011, 01:49:33 PM »
If I can come up with (in my judgement) a pretty good translation, I'll offer it to Dr Dan on the chance that it might prove helpful in making an "official" translation.

Cool, that's what I was going to suggest, if you're going to update it for yourself anyway. And feel free to ask the opinion of a native speaker ( :angel: ) whenever you can't make sense of what the online translators tell you.

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2011, 08:49:58 AM »
Thanks, Olivier!  :D

Here's one that I dont think translates well, although it translates as "WELL". Some translations say "adhesive", some don't, but in any case, I have a hard time picturing a well in the middle of a lake.

MITTEN IM SEE STEHT EIN RIESENHAFTER BRUNNEN. ^ ENTDECKT, DASS ER ARCHITEKTONISCH SCHON URALT SEIN MUSS.

Translates as:

IN THE MIDDLE IN THE LAKE A GIANT ADHESIVE WELL STANDS. ^ IT DISCOVERS THAT HE MUST ALREADY BE ARCHITECTURAL AGE-OLD.

What is he really saying?  ???

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2011, 05:35:03 PM »
MITTEN IM SEE STEHT EIN RIESENHAFTER BRUNNEN. ^ ENTDECKT, DASS ER ARCHITEKTONISCH SCHON URALT SEIN MUSS.

Translates roughly as:

IN THE MIDDLE OF THE LAKE STANDS (or: THERE IS) A GIANT WELL (or better: FOUNTAIN?). ^ RECOGNIZES BY ITS ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN THAT IT'S GOT TO BE ANCIENT (or: VERY OLD).

So yeah, it actually is a well or rather fountain, but the "ADHESIVE" is killing me.  :D

("-haft" in German adjectives often means a likeness, in this case "like a giant"; it has nothing to do with an adhesive quality but the German word for that is very similar: "haften(d)".)

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2011, 05:15:27 AM »
Thanks! I think I'll go with fountain. I've seen fountains in the middle of lakes (or ponds) before.  :)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2011, 08:23:40 AM »
In German there's only one word for both but if I understand correctly a well is connoted with a deep hole in the ground to get water from and a fountain with a piece of architecture pouring water?

WELL
FOUNTAIN

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2011, 09:57:53 AM »
Exactly. A fountain often has the characteristic of fluid being forced upward (naturally or artificially), then falling back downward. As a not particularly nice example: I once had a fountain of blood spraying from my arm after I nicked an artery. (I don't recommend it.)  ;)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2011, 10:12:11 PM »
Thinking about it, while "Brunnen" can be both a well or a fountain in German, you can make a distinction by calling a fountain "Springbrunnen" ("Spring" meaning "jump" in this case, because the water 'jumps' upwards). And there's the German word "Fontšne" (meaning spout) which seems related to the English word "fountain".

Not that it's got any relevance for your translation or this topic. Sorry for derailing the thread with my musings on languages.  ;D

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2011, 11:17:26 AM »
I'm playing "Deeds of a Devil" right now (in German) and i like the writing style!

One first criticism though: The introductory text claims that the PCs have fought in many battles, yet they start at a measly level 1 with next to zero experience.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Ixnatifual

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
One first criticism though: The introductory text claims that the PCs have fought in many battles, yet they start at a measly level 1 with next to zero experience.
The monsters the PCs fought had their XP values changed to 0.

Or the last battle they fought had wights in them :D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 11:35:48 AM by Ixnatifual »

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2011, 01:08:39 PM »

Maybe they were battles of this kind:

"I got this scar on my face during a mighty struggle!"

Offline nologgie

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2011, 01:37:17 PM »

Maybe they were battles of this kind:

"How appropriate, you fight like a cow. No, wait... Ouch!"

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2011, 08:01:34 PM »

I hope now you've learned to stop picking your nose.

Has Guybrush ever featured in a FRUA mod?

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2011, 08:33:20 PM »
I hope now you've learned to stop picking your nose.

Wow! You're good enough to fight the Sword Master!

Has Guybrush ever featured in a FRUA mod?

Not that I know of. But the jolly tavern in Serial 3 borrowed some music from MI2 (*tsk, tsk*). Sadly, it doesn't sound as good in DOSBOX as it did on my Win98 computer.

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2011, 06:21:56 PM »
I'm still in the first city, but I like the game so far.  :)

DrDan, did you ever own the German version of FRUA?
Released designs:

The Sect