Author Topic: Modules to play  (Read 14762 times)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Re: Modules to play
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 02:48:30 PM »
It meets these criteria but it really is only one single room without any events or sounds in... You can take a few steps around the room and look at the wall design.
Well... Then I withdraw my former opinion. (Would be different if there weren't other designs out there with high walls...)

I almost forgot: Why did you not add a small description for your own nice design?
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 02:56:44 PM »
I almost forgot: Why did you not add a small description for your own nice design?

I asked myself the same question today.  :D

It's curious that, apparently, I didn't include a detailed readme file, just a credits list. So I didn't have anything to copy and paste at my diposal and today I'm not in the mood to write something myself.  ;)

I hope to add a description another day.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 03:45:11 PM »
So I didn't have anything to copy and paste at my diposal and today I'm not in the mood to write something myself.  ;)
I just found my short review and changed the first sentence a little bit:

In "The Lesson", the party (creatable) follows a criminal into a small mansion. The combination of an enthralling background story, well-chosen wall art (partly imported from "Eye of the Beholder"), great sound-effects from various sources, and well-positioned text events generates a very strong, convincing atmosphere.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 03:59:46 PM »
Heh, that's already a bit more than a description and it will look suspicious if I make my design stick out by adding this open praise but I'll blame it on you.  ;)
Thanks, I'll just take that risk for now and might edit it another time.

I'd love to add a description to manikus Academy Demo, too, if someone can provide one.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 04:10:32 PM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 04:10:51 PM »
Heh, that's already a bit more than a description and it will look suspicious if I make my design stick out by adding this open praise but I'll blame it on you.  ;)
Thanks, I'll just take that risk for now and might edit it another time.
I assumed that you would avoid to praise your design yourself, so I had to do it...

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 04:17:51 PM »
Wow! The sticky looks great, Olivier.

Maybe we can have a second post that includes demos. It would be nice if the Tavern demo was listed somewhere, mostly for historical reasons, as it is the demo that made tall walls possible. :) I'm being a little nostalgic I guess.
What about other DC design stuff? There is at least one unfinished mod that was released for anyone who wanted to use it as a base (it's in the Yahoo group, but I could host it on my Divshare site no problem)? This particular one is called the "Sunless Citadel" and I believe is based on a TSR module of the same name.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 07:48:30 PM »
Awesome sticky!  The screenshots and descriptions really help, I think a lot more people will play these designs because of the sticky... :)
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 09:45:22 AM »
Awesome sticky!  The screenshots and descriptions really help, I think a lot more people will play these designs because of the sticky... :)
And how nice it would be to see an Uatu design there... :D
I of course do not know how big the design you are currently working on is, but have you considered doing a very short design, maybe only one level?

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 09:58:22 AM »
Sigh...  My plans are great and grand, but I've only managed to finish very little (besides lots of plans)...  I guess it would be nice to have something finished at all, but I don't have any ideas for small mods... :-\
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2010, 10:30:56 AM »
Sigh...  My plans are great and grand, but I've only managed to finish very little (besides lots of plans)...  I guess it would be nice to have something finished at all, but I don't have any ideas for small mods... :-\
If you plan an epic design, would it not be possible to swap a side story branch into a short design of its own? Or to do an introductional design? I was really surprised myself that I managed to do two designs in less than two years, while spending 5 years on Helmetlands earlier without any result apart from huge levels without events (well, and tons of art... :D).

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 03:32:12 PM »
If you plan an epic design, would it not be possible to swap a side story branch into a short design of its own? Or to do an introductional design? I was really surprised myself that I managed to do two designs in less than two years, while spending 5 years on Helmetlands earlier without any result apart from huge levels without events (well, and tons of art... :D).

Good suggestions, for all of us I think. :)

An introductory design need not be long or complex at all - just enough to introduce a character or two, or a theme or two, or some nifty trick or two. :)

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 06:38:26 PM »
and while I can't exactly preach about how to finish a design, I've been thinking about how I could start a grand epic adventure, but release it in installments. Like do the town and a dungeon or two. then re-release the first part and second part once the "trial" episode has been reviewed/playtested by some people here.

Just an idea
ST

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 06:55:44 PM »
and while I can't exactly preach about how to finish a design, I've been thinking about how I could start a grand epic adventure, but release it in installments. Like do the town and a dungeon or two. then re-release the first part and second part once the "trial" episode has been reviewed/playtested by some people here.

Just an idea
ST

I think this is a good idea. :D I think you should go for it, ST. I would love to play an introductory design to a grand epic you have planned.

Maybe this is the start of a trend...you could do a short intro design, Uatu could do one, I could do one (oh yeah, I've already started on something like this).

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2010, 04:14:45 AM »
Just an idea
ST
I think this is a good idea. :D I think you should go for it, ST. I would love to play an introductory design to a grand epic you have planned.
My solution for Helmetlands will probably somewhat be inbetween. I plan to make the second design based on the first one, with the original level design of the first design and additional new levels. However, certain events in the levels of the first design will be removed or altered and new events will be added to the old levels. Thus, it will be interesting to re-explore the levels already known from part I. :)
A similar approach was, to my knowledge, used in Might and Magic 4 and 5...

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2010, 03:34:31 PM »
I should probably play Might and Magic some day...as I should probably play Ultima. :)

I have thought about Prohovost being an introductory design to a series, and it is in fact set up that way. But the constant throughout will be the party of characters - the same database will be used for all of the adventures in the series so that the party can be transferred, and there will be at least 1 NPC that keeps popping up. :)

But, when I remake Dungeoneer, which was also meant to be the first of a series, I want to do this method. I don't think it gives a lot away to say that there are dungeons to be explored in this design, but the above ground stuff will stay the same layout, with changes as you describe to make it interesting to play in for each new design.

anything