Author Topic: REVIEW: The House  (Read 3151 times)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
REVIEW: The House
« on: January 21, 2011, 07:49:42 PM »
The House
DC design by Merikallio

Title picture

Compared to the huge number of designs made for FRUA, the number of DC designs is really low. The ultimate DC designs thread in the FRUA forum lists eleven, and among these, there are only a few designs which can be considered more than a demo. One reason for this lack of DC designs is probably that people still wait for DC version 1.0 to be ready.

Therefore, every new DC design should be appreciated. And so should “The House” be, the first design by Merikallio. His short description: “Your party accidentally discovers the dark past of some noble family and struggle for survival in hostile place.”

And this is indeed what your party has to do. The party is spending their evening in an inn, but suddenly a mysterious chain of events places them in a most unpleasant situation: Trapped in a spooky park next to a mysterious house. The only chance of leaving the cursed(?) area is to throw some light on the dark secrets of the house and its inhabitants.

Gameplay and story (6/10)
You start the design with four pre-generated characters (interestingly, not created via the NPC-editor), showing different personalities from time to time, which makes the game more interesting.

“The House” is a short game. Although I am generally a slow player, I played through the game within thirty minutes. I felt well-entertained during these thirty minutes, even though “The House” tells a horror story, something I generally not enjoy. Merikallio did a good job in increasing the tension from event and event, and after a while I really wanted to know all the secrets of the “The House” and of the strange royal family you meet.

One thing which disturbed me, though, was the linearity of the game. Furthermore, it lacked interaction: For example, you can find a dead person in one of the rooms, but are not allowed to examine the corpse or something like that. However, after visiting other locations and returning to the corpse, it becomes quite important for the story. A little bit more freedom to examine things would have been nice, especially in such a short design. Furthermore, I think that some events (e.g., transfer units and some of the interaction events like question lists) could have been handled better.

However, the story is really the strong point of the game. I assume that some elements will be familiar to horror story fans, but I found some turns surprising and original.

Screen layout, font, English (no rating)
“The House” uses the “classic” 640x480 resolution with default frames and default screen layout. Merikallio chose Bookman Old Style, a well-readable font, but unfortunately it is not so well suited for DC, e.g. because questions list with 5 options are partly displayed outside the text section.

Screen layout and font

There are some minor errors concerning the language (as far as I can tell as a non-native speaker), but I think the English is generally correct, and the texts are well-written. (Impressive, since I assume Merikallio is also not a native speaker... Polish, perhaps?)

Graphics (3 of 10)
Merikallio took graphic files from different sources which quite often do not fit well with each other or even look like graphic errors (e.g., chests appearing “inside” walls). This hampers the (otherwise nice) atmosphere built-up. One thing that really annoyed me was the use of backgrounds. The same moon appearing in all 4 directions? Roads suddenly disappearing from one step to another, or turning together with the party? Such things can be avoided with only a little effort. Merikallio’s selection of small pics however was good and fit well with the mystery/horror story of this design.

Two 3d views

Sounds (5 of 10)
I don’t know if Merikallio did the sound effects himself or took them from other sources (there is no source mentioned in the design description), but some of them contribute very well to the dark atmosphere of the design and compensate a little bit for the weak graphics.

Conclusion
As I stated above, I enjoyed playing “The House” and invite everybody to give it a try. Considering that this is Merikallio’s first design and that he did not spend too much time in creating it, I am looking forward to what he comes up with in the future.

Overall rating: 5 out of 10
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 10:53:54 AM by Dinonykos »
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
Re: REVIEW: The House
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 08:16:20 PM »
Hmm, I am not a fan of horror myself, either, but judging from the screenshots, this mod looks quite nice (although there are some bugs as noted by Dinonykos)!  I like the idea of the dried grass/wheat/??? walls, too...

Only one more design and we will have a Dozen Designs for DC!  :D
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 02:52:50 AM »
Only one more design and we will have a Dozen Designs for DC!  :D
There are already 11 designs in the ultimate list, thus, adding "The House", we have a dozen!  ;D

Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline merikallio

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 05:18:27 AM »
Thanks for the review, Dinonykos. Hope, I'll take some lesson from it. And yes, I demand for adding "The House" to the ultimate DC designs list ;D

Definitely, I am no native speaker. Once again, thank's to Nologgie for language correction and playtesting.

In the matter of music:
- intro was taken from "Mask of the betrayer"
- tho other fragments (camp, lady) are from "Planescape Torment" soundtrack
- ending is a main theme from "The exorcist" movie
- I've used some sounds from "In the service" od Aldorf DC design
- some sounds, like hag laughing were made by cutting and converting some movies fragments

One more suggestion about music - "Mount and blade" PC game (famous knights life simulator) is a true mine of all type of medieval sounds. Highly recommended, since all of them are gathered in one directory, easy to use.

Well, my next project, longer and hopefully more interested is waiting impatiently for the DC v 1.0. Art pieces, even some new walls, are ready, as well as a plot, but it can't works without spells and special abilities working properly.   

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 08:18:01 AM »
The design was added to the module list!

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 12:56:45 PM »
The design was added to the module list!
Thank you, also for adding the exe-file!

Thanks for the review, Dinonykos.
No need to, since I really liked the design. In my opinion, you used the right approach by starting with a short design, and not right away going for a huge epic adventure (I needed around 5 years to learn that this is a reasonable way to start with editors like DC... :D ).

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 08:53:50 AM »
The link to this module is dead. Is there a new link to it?  :(

Offline merikallio

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 03:26:09 PM »
Because the first link for "The House" is dead, I've just upploaded this module on rosedragon. It should appear soon:)

Because of size limit, I divided the contest of this module into five zip files. Just join them in one The house.dsn directory and it should be all right.

UAforwin.exe file is included.

Have a nice play and share with your suggestions

Offline Donnie Ewald

• Administrator
    • Ego's Abode
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 04:52:39 AM »
Combined back into one file and uploaded:

http://frua.rosedragon.org/dc/modules/thehouse.zip

Offline merikallio

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 07:56:53 AM »
Thank You Donnie :)

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 08:22:50 AM »
Interesting :) I will try it soon I hope.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 11:30:50 AM »
I've updated the module list!  :)