Author Topic: NEW DESIGN: Friedrich's Revenge  (Read 15620 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: NEW DESIGN: Friedrich's Revenge
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 03:33:48 PM »
I'm ready for a Silver Edition. :) I thought the voice acting, sound effects and music were all amazing. I think this kind of thing is what CocoaSpud was hoping would take place. Especially since it was done so responsibly. There was a design I tested for someone in the Ironworks forum that was over 60 MB to download, and literally 57.5 of it was in mp3s which I never even encountered... (I don't mean Sihram's giant design which is a little above 60 MB, but it could probably be smaller with better sound handling, but it's fairly full of content, and you actually get to use it in the game. :D)

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 04:49:14 PM »
Things should not slow down on any reasonable machine.
Any Pentium IV should suffice. 

But it is easy to write a script that would bring it
to a complete halt.

I cannot (at least I will not) debug any but the
latest version.  And, of course, you do not have
access to the latest version.  If Manikus wants to
give you access to the latest version and you are
willing to adapt your module and test it and provide
a playback file demonstrating the problem, then
you can expect my help.

If I were doing this work for pay then this would be
an unreasonable stance.  However.......

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 05:04:02 PM »
I will gladly extend to Dinonykos the use of the most recent editor/engine and my expertise (in return for a full bug report on what he encounters working on his project). But, I did not get any slow down with this module. I did quite extensive playtesting for it and never encountered a single bit of slow down, and now I've played it on my "lower" end laptop which has a third the RAM of my desktop and a third of the operating speed, and did not notice any slowdown on it either. I have not tried it in Linux yet, though... ;)

Ben, perhaps you could describe your issue in more detail, like what is happening at the 10 minute mark when things start to slow down for you, and attach your error logs as well.

Offline Jadefang

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 07:54:54 PM »
Oh yea, another bug.

Against the final boss, if you fight Defensive Style and lose (but nobody dies), and game still continues rather than move you to the game over location.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 03:06:58 AM »
Oh yea, another bug.

Against the final boss, if you fight Defensive Style and lose (but nobody dies), and game still continues rather than move you to the game over location.

Oh! That is a serious one! (And I thought I had already checked that, but maybe I made a second mistake... It is really a challenge to keep track of all the small event trees in each combat...) I'll look after it tonight. Thank you! And nice to hear that you have already met the final boss!

Some slight spoiling now:
What about the time limit? Ben J told me in a PM that he only had a few minutes left after the final boss, so that I am wondering if I should give four days instead of three.

In any case, I am happy that several people are already playing the design. :D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 03:08:47 AM by Dinonykos »
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 03:25:15 AM »
I'm ready for a Silver Edition. :) I thought the voice acting, sound effects and music were all amazing.
Concerning aditional voice acting in a Silver Edition of FR, any volunteers? I guess most of us have at least a microphone, and it would generally be nice to have some standard sentences as wav/mp3-files (as we discussed elsewhere).

For the main protagonists, I still plan to ask some of the guys with whom I used to make radio plays some years ago. They are not so much into RPGs as I am, but I guess Friedrich's Revenge looks good enough to make them join (and act in helmetlands, too, which would be good for the consistency).   

However, since I voiced the all townspeople myself (except for one), I could imagine to replace some of the files. Furthermore, there are some priests/priestesses and a knight and a warrior who could say at least something like "greetings".
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Jadefang

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 05:56:57 AM »
Some slight spoiling now:
[snip]

Dunno why this actually needs spoiling, but anyway...
I beat it with about half a day left. However, I save scummed a lot (i.e. loaded the game if I ran into too many dead ends or took too many useless steps around the town and stuff, saved/reloaded for maximum hit points at level up, saved/reloaded for successful pickpockets, relied on training to restore my HP back to max). Also I didn't spend money on anything but training, and ended up with 1.4k on each char at the end, plus 6 or so potions. Overall, I didn't feel too rushed in my playstyle, until I realized it hit Day 3 anyway.

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 06:01:01 AM »
Concerning aditional voice acting in a Silver Edition of FR, any volunteers?

If it's only a couple of sentences, I'd like to give it a try.

I can voice evil and insane characters.  ;D
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2010, 06:34:36 AM »
If it's only a couple of sentences, I'd like to give it a try.

I can voice evil and insane characters.  ;D

Excellent! I do not want to do complete dialogs at the moment anyway, just one or two sentences per character.
Insane sounds good, would fit to some of the priests you can meet in the game, and evil fits with one of the shopkeepers. I will check which sentences would be fitting and send you a PM (maybe even tonight already).

You could do the boss, too, but since Friedrich also occurs in Helmetlands, I would then have to ask you to do some additional voice acting later (for consistency :) ).

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2010, 06:38:57 AM »
Dunno why this actually needs spoiling, but anyway...
Well, you are right, these were not top secret elements...  :)

Thanks! I guess I will keep the time limit then as it is.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 03:28:12 PM »
I've never heard the term "save scummed" before. :) Thanks, Jadefang. I like the way it perfectly describes the action taken.

The first time I played through to a win, I save scummed the last half day because I had spent too much time exploring. :) I found on subsequent attempts, that if I didn't spend a lot of time looking for stuff in the woods, that I was finishing up with at least 12 hours to spare.

I would be willing to do some voice work too. :) I volunteer to do as much or as little as you would like. There is not a particular kind of voice that I wouldn't try, either. letting you be the judge on if it is what you want. :D
Incidentally, since some discussion elsewhere about having a computer as an NPC, I have gotten really motivated on an idea that will be using voice acting. So, my story text, has a script being written along with it. :) I'm just in the writing stage right now, but I'm having a lot of fun.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2010, 04:53:13 PM »
Okay, dear voice actors, here is a list of short sentences which could need voice acting. It would be very nice to have one or two female voice actors, too!

Waran Priest: "Hey, you! What are you doing here?" (Ideal for Ben J, I'd assume...)

Priest (Novice): "This part of the temple is not open for visitors."/g

Knight: "Get out, scum!" (Manikus?)
Knight: "Welcome, Travellers!"

Healer (female): "Do you need healing?"

Priestess: "(What are you doing here?) Do you want to visit one of our celebrations?"

Hooded Priest (female): "Greetings, my friends!"

Maiden: "Greetings"

Dark person: "You smell like real heroes... I will not trade with you. Get out!"
Dark person: "What do you want? Buy something - or leave!"

Silfid (female): "Get out! I won't talk to you!"
Silfid (female): "Welcome, travelers!" (Or travellers, if you prefer British English... :D )

Amazon commander (female, of course): "You entered our sacred forest without permission! You will pay for this!"

Please volunteer for any sentence you like. I will of course also accept double roles, as long as you do not mind me transposing a little bit - or as long as you are good at changing your voice... :D

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 03:15:16 AM »
Waran Priest: "Hey, you! What are you doing here?" (Ideal for Ben J, I'd assume...)

I'll try this one. But I have to wait until I'm alone... I don't want to scare my kids.  :D
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 03:36:16 AM »
I'll try this one. But I have to wait until I'm alone... I don't want to scare my kids.  :D
I have trained my daughter by changing my voice quite extremely when reading books like "You're a Hero, Daley B"
BTW, she wanted to see the carnosaur in Friedrich's Revenge all the time.
"The dinosaur roars, but it is only painted!"

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 11:16:17 AM »
Doh!  Wish I had a microphone...  Or maybe my Mac has one already?   :P  Not sure how to record sounds, though...
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

anything