Author Topic: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.  (Read 103842 times)

Offline hans

Re: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.
« Reply #825 on: October 29, 2014, 12:38:10 PM »
I'm giving up on The (new) Flash tv show. 

I've been enduring the torture of all the overblown angst scenes, hoping that maybe there would be some interesting Rogues stories, but so far the villains have been very one-dimensional and disappointing.   :sleepy4:

The special FX are pretty good, but the fight scenes hurt my brain.  I can't take any more scenes of the Flash confronting the villain (standing still before him), exchanging a few lines of trite dialog, then watches as the villain goes into action first, starting his power, or raising and aiming then and firing a weapon, all while throwing away a few more lines of dialog, before the Flash finally goes into action.   :violent5:

Why doesn't the Flash just clock the villain before the villain even knows the Flash is there, or has time to blink?  Seriously.  :icon_shaking:

This, tho, is why super-speed is one of my least favorite super-powers.  If someone really had that super-power, the fights should be over before they begin.  In order to inject any suspense, therefore, the writers have to make the hero a fool.    :puke:

X-Men: Days of Future Past had a sequence devoted to Marvel's super-speedster, Quicksilver.  While it was a wonderfully done scene, a real show-stopper, it necessarily lacked any suspense or sense of danger.  It was amusing rather than thrilling.   :happy3:

Lots of modern vampire movies also give their monsters super-speed, so they can zip in front of their victims from across a room and suddenly "appear" --providing a scare so cheap as to constitute a complete rip-off.   :protest:

Faster is not always better.   :tearyeyed:

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #826 on: October 30, 2014, 02:27:01 PM »
Why doesn't the Flash just clock the villain before the villain even knows the Flash is there, or has time to blink?  Seriously.  :icon_shaking:

I am no expert on the Flash, but as someone working for the police, maybe he always wants the villain to attack first to have a moral justification for using his powers? And if the villain even shoots at him, it is an additional felony and results higher sentence?
(The tv show is not yet on air here so it is just a general guess...)
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline hans

« Reply #827 on: October 30, 2014, 11:23:49 PM »
I am no expert on the Flash, but as someone working for the police, maybe he always wants the villain to attack first to have a moral justification for using his powers? And if the villain even shoots at him, it is an additional felony and results higher sentence?
(The tv show is not yet on air here so it is just a general guess...)

It's more like one of TV's unwritten laws of days gone by, wherein the hero in a gunfight could never shoot first. 

It's this same ridiculous thinking that had George Lucas have Greedo shoot first at Han Solo in his revamp of the original Star Wars (A New Hope).  Of course, it was necessary to make Greedo, like so many villains before him, a very bad shot (missing Solo completely from only a few feet way).   :P

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #828 on: October 31, 2014, 03:47:51 AM »
The outrage was so great that in a later edit they reduced the time between the shots so that, although Greedo still shoots first, it is only a split second before Han, meaning that Han was not reacting to Greedo. So they returned some of the moral ambiguity (which, in my opinion, was an interesting feature of the Han Solo character, but the removal of which was apparently Lucas' purpose in changing the scene in the first place) while still leaving Greedo as an unrealistically bad shot. Pointless!

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #829 on: October 31, 2014, 07:45:55 PM »
I've been watching The Flash as well. The characters all exist in a world where everyone is under 25 (except for token father figures). I have tolerated the dialogue and been rewarded with appearances by Weather Wizard, Mirror Master, The Mist, and Captain Cold. Other members of the Rogue's gallery that have been hinted at so far include Gorilla Grodd, Professor Zoom, and Heat Wave.

The show is uneven, granted, and I'm still trying to figure out if Flash's top speed is 350 MPH or the speed of light, but I'm willing to keep watching.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #830 on: November 03, 2014, 06:04:19 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out if Flash's top speed is 350 MPH or the speed of light, but I'm willing to keep watching.

No matter what his (fictional) actual top speed is, Flash will always move at the speed of plot.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #831 on: December 26, 2014, 03:24:59 AM »
New Hobbit movie is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUYqUGXxopU

For me i am trying to start again my old Ruins of castle Greyhawk campaign mixed with FR on Roll20.net, and new thing is that i got 2e version of this books. Campaign is called Northern Journey and is set in FR North, it has 3000 pages and i really don't know how to print all that, though i will try in parts. Here is link, everything has a lot of story and not much dungeons and i would like to see DC version of it :) or at least something like that http://www.candlekeep.com/campaign/nj_main.htm

Those guys converted to 3e but when 4th editon came it seems they started something on their own http://www.vintyri.org though site with PBeM is still active http://www.nj-pbem.com/ and most interesting is part with complete FR dieties from many books http://www.nj-pbem.com/data/Gods/Gods.htm

I am hoping that i will be able to use all this with DC and explore realms even more :)

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #832 on: January 04, 2015, 01:51:16 PM »
Yes it seems i will continue to run Ad&d campaign and Greyhawk Castle for now. I expect to continue working on my DC mod too, been some time since i haven't :)
Expedition to Castle Greyhawk (3e) Intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYbHIlkIA9U

Offline hans

« Reply #833 on: January 08, 2015, 02:17:08 PM »
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies is superb. 

I hadn't been able to see it till now 'cuz of all the holiday and post-holiday hustle & bustle.  It was well worth the wait, as I knew it would be.

Seeing it causes me to wonder, tho, now that there have been two full trilogies spanning some 13 or so years, all critical and commercial super-successes, how come Hollywood (which is notorious for following trends) isn't making more of these types of movies?   

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #834 on: January 10, 2015, 03:51:51 AM »
I think because special effects like wizard spells and other magic which are hard to make. Also I think in D&D there is no good stories. There are some but they are all a bit not so traditional and probably not so good for movies.

Lets just take example of D&D movie, I watched first part. Spell effects were not done so good, like fireballs, dragons and so on. I am guessing that budget for that needs to be high. Story also is just some random adventure and even Jeremy Irons was there still for me it just was not so good.

I think I watched 2nd part too, as i remember a beholder not done so good. Anyway good fantasy movies are hard to make i guess. New Conan is i guess something nice, though those are like LOTR low on magic by my opinion.

Here is something I watched ten years ago on TV in Belgrade, haven't finished it yet, it is something like Xena, done nicely https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2trwbwPJno4
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 03:53:26 AM by Milos Gulan »

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #835 on: January 10, 2015, 11:06:34 AM »
Seeing it causes me to wonder, tho, now that there have been two full trilogies spanning some 13 or so years, all critical and commercial super-successes, how come Hollywood (which is notorious for following trends) isn't making more of these types of movies?

I think that Hollywood has mistaken the Middle Earth novels for "Young Adult Fantasy".

My evidence:
1) Harry Potter films
2) Hunger Games films.
3) Narnia films.
4) Percy Jackson films.

At least we have the TV show "Game of Thrones".
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline hans

« Reply #836 on: January 10, 2015, 01:45:25 PM »
I think that Hollywood has mistaken the Middle Earth novels for "Young Adult Fantasy".

My evidence:
1) Harry Potter films
2) Hunger Games films.
3) Narnia films.
4) Percy Jackson films.

At least we have the TV show "Game of Thrones".

I think you're right.  We've also had a slew of fairy-tale movies with young adult twists to them, ...with rather spotty results.   :P

I hear that the Shannara books will be turned into a TV series, as well.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #837 on: January 10, 2015, 05:18:42 PM »
Tried reading them, but...

Offline hans

« Reply #838 on: January 11, 2015, 02:19:36 PM »
Tried reading them, but...

I never got into the Shannara books, myself, either.  I did follow the newspaper cartoon adaptation for a little while...   :P 

The Dragonlance Chronicles by Hickman & Weis I did read, and have thought would probably make a good set of movies in the Rings/Hobbit mode.  They were critically-acclaimed bestsellers, too. 

There have been other good fantasy novels in a similar vein.  I really think it's more important to capture the scope & tone of the Rings/Hobbit movies than to try and find a classic to adapt, tho.  After all, Peter Jackson & his team took lots of liberties with The Hobbit.  Maybe Hollywood really needs more Peter Jacksons...

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #839 on: January 11, 2015, 03:48:11 PM »
I agree. I tried reading Shannara in high school it was recommended to me by a friend but somehow i couldn't read it, not sure why probably it wasn't that interesting. I remember that i have read LOTR back then and i couldn't stop reading it till finished.

I tried reading Shannara lately same happened :). I probably would like to see Dragonlance too though I am guessing it would be hard to do. Drizzt also. I just watched a bit of Star Wars movie i think called Revenge of Sith, didn't liked it.

anything