Author Topic: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.  (Read 103529 times)

Offline hans

Re: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.
« Reply #555 on: May 13, 2012, 10:13:02 PM »
BTW, The Avengers deserves its billion dollars.  It's a mighty awesome movie. 

Offline hans

« Reply #556 on: May 15, 2012, 08:52:27 PM »
Dark Shadows is more than the inky box-office goo found under the Hulk's foot this past week.  It's actually a pretty good movie. 

Much better than what I was anticipating (or, rather, dreading), after viewing its trailers.  It suffers from some of Burton's chronic weaknesses, but moreso benefits from his strengths.  In fact, I'd say it's one of my favorite Tim Burton films. 

The ad wizards at Warner Bros. probably would've done better than to assemble a trailer of nothing but the movie's jokiest bits.  There are also horror, action, and emotional chords struck.  An entertaining blend.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #557 on: May 22, 2012, 07:43:59 AM »
Would you mind elaborating about the strenghts and weaknesses of Dark Shadows? So far I've watched almost all of Tim Burton's movies, but I found Alice in Wonderland rather weak and I'm a bit put off by the Dark Shadows trailer, too. The jokiest bits didn't even put a mild smile on my face and the combination of Burton & Depp and the way Johnny Depp plays these roles begin to feel like déjà-vu. The trailer presents something that might have been original and fun to watch 25 years ago returned from the grave of the 80's, or in other words, something dusty and quite possibly undead.  ;)

I have to admit though I know nothing about the series it's based on (the feeling I get when watching the trailer might be related to the series being old, but in any case I couldn't enjoy any references and hommages to it and would only be able to judge the movie for how it appears to me from an ignorant perspective of today). Can you convince me to give the movie a try nevertheless? :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 07:46:56 AM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline hans

« Reply #558 on: May 22, 2012, 08:36:13 PM »
Dark Shadows has what you would expect from a Tim Burton film:  Exquisite visuals, offbeat characters and situations, unexpected juxtapositions, and a melding of disparate elements such as light with dark ones.  What makes it a better than average Burton film, however, is that it has a clear, strong theme.  It has meaning beyond simply following a character through a series of events.

The theme of Dark Shadows is "family."  And Burton adheres to it throughout his film, which gives its oddities a fine, richness of metaphorical depth.

For example, the term "generation gap" was popularized in the late 60's, and early 70's (when most of this movie is set).  The term refers to differences between people of younger generations and their elders.  Johnny Depp's role of Barnabas Collins wildly widens that gap. 

Burton does not sabotage his theme by adding unsupporting or contradictory scenes simply because they're cool.  He doesn't abandon one theme in the middle of his movie to embrace a different one for the second half.  He doesn't give credit to a overarching theme in one scene that the rest of the movie has had nothing to do with.  These are cinematic sins that Burton has been known to commit, but, fortunately, refrains from in Dark Shadows.

Plus, it really is fun.   ;)

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #559 on: May 23, 2012, 12:31:51 PM »
I might see Dark Shadows if time and money permit.

I wanted to see Battleship, but it has such mixed reviews ... and most of the positive reviews are of the "it is not as bad as it looks." Which, to me, is akin to saying "I ate cherry flavored poop". It might have tasted just like cherries, but it was still poop.

I saw 21 Jump Street with my 15-yo last Sunday for his b-day. It is R-rated, and deservedly so, but it was still a fun movie. I enjoyed it, and he did, too. (Lots of drug use, tho centered on a fake drug; lots of drinking, LOTS of cursing, no nudity I recall; over-the-top violence with minimal gore; and a scene near the end which sorta breaks the no nudity thing, but not quite really ... don't wanna give it away.)

This weekend I am going to go see MIB3. I always though that Men in Black could make a great UA mod. Lots of hacked weapons for the Agents, weird monsters to fight. Story would be fun with a humorous tone. Ghostbusters was another movie franchise I felt would also translate well to UA.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #560 on: May 24, 2012, 03:24:52 PM »
Plus, it really is fun.   ;)

Hm. Still doesn't sound like my kind of movie, I'm afraid. But I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on it, hans. Thanks a lot!  :)

Offline hans

« Reply #561 on: May 24, 2012, 03:47:39 PM »
I wanted to see Battleship, but it has such mixed reviews ... and most of the positive reviews are of the "it is not as bad as it looks." Which, to me, is akin to saying "I ate cherry flavored poop". It might have tasted just like cherries, but it was still poop.

Yeah, I passed up on Battleship, today, because of the poor reviews and mediocre trailers, to see The Avengers, again, only in 3D, this time.  I waited to see it in 3D until after the huge crowds died down, 'cuz I always want a good, central seat for 3D.  Fantastic movie.  The 3D was very nice in some parts, and maybe only detracted in a couple of quick scenes (3D and shaky cams don't go well together). 

Too many great-looking movies are coming up, too, for me to try to catch it later. 

Somewhere there's probably a toy/movie mogul saying "Hulk sunk my Battleship!"

Offline hans

« Reply #562 on: May 27, 2012, 12:17:02 AM »
It's Memorial Day weekend in the U.S.  Here's a vid both apropos, yet, somehow, not

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbbUK3vOjlE&feature=related

Offline hans

« Reply #563 on: May 28, 2012, 04:08:58 PM »
Last night I drempt I was walking my neighborhood street at night, and a sportscar pulls up, and out leaps this teenage girl dressed like Nightveil (http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/264/9/1/Nightveil_01_by_xanaman.jpg).  I've never been a fan of the character, but there she was.  In my dream, I didn't believe she was the actual comicbook character, but just a girl in a costume. 

Like a true superheroine, though, she challenged my motives, demanding whether or not I was up to no good.  I told her not to worry, and pointed out a life-sized lawn ornament of the golden age DC comicbook character Starman I had made (I've not made one, but there it was, lit up like Christmas -- I am a fan of that character, however).  The lawn ornament seemed to buy me some sorta geek cred, and she relaxed. 

With her was a young Molly Ringwald.  I asked Molly if she was the "sidekick."  Apparently she was. 

The two weren't on patrol, I was told, but were tracking a master criminal.  I think they were about to let me join them in the hunt, when my alarm clock went off. 

Sigh. 

It was promising to be a very unusual dream, too...sort of 80's John Hughes in a superhero vein...possibly putting me in an Anthony Michael Hall role...

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #564 on: May 28, 2012, 07:31:09 PM »
What the hell do you smoke before bed? You have the craziest dreams!  ;p

I do have my share of crazy dreams, tho ... Last night I had a disjointed dream about zombies, my cat, Harold and Kumar, Neil Patrick Harris, the Avenger's FB game I am playing, and the MIB.  (I had read the last issue of Walking Dead and watched Harold and Kumar's 3D Christmas just before going to bed. I play the Avengers game most every day and was planning on seeing MIB3 the next day ... today. So it all makes sense, but it was a crazy dream.)

Also, you like Starman? Have you been reading the Shade mini-series from DC?

And, MIB3 was very fun, btw.

Offline hans

« Reply #565 on: May 28, 2012, 10:34:15 PM »
What the hell do you smoke before bed? You have the craziest dreams!  ;p

Well, I do often have a chocolate frosted pop-tart, or two, before going to bed...but that's not immoral, and only borderline decadent. 
 :tongue8:
Still, I expect that you, and everybody else on the forum, have had probably hundreds of cool dreams, equal to mine.  The trouble is, people forget most of their dreams, often within minutes of waking up. 

I think I've only remembered the ones I've shared because I made a mental note to post them here.  Even so, I'd now have to review the board to remind myself of them.  This is the closest I've ever come to keeping a dream journal. 

I do have my share of crazy dreams, tho ... Last night I had a disjointed dream about zombies, my cat, Harold and Kumar, Neil Patrick Harris, the Avenger's FB game I am playing, and the MIB.  (I had read the last issue of Walking Dead and watched Harold and Kumar's 3D Christmas just before going to bed. I play the Avengers game most every day and was planning on seeing MIB3 the next day ... today. So it all makes sense, but it was a crazy dream.) 

Well, that explains everything but your cat...    :cat: 
Obliviously the key to the whole puzzle!

Also, you like Starman? Have you been reading the Shade mini-series from DC?

Every issue!   :read2:

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #566 on: June 02, 2012, 01:16:13 AM »
The Avengers was pretty amazing!
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #567 on: June 22, 2012, 10:34:57 AM »
A video-game-style music video that old-schoolers should appreciate: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-tNUur2YoU&feature=related

Offline hans

« Reply #568 on: June 23, 2012, 10:27:04 PM »
A few quick thoughts on some current movies: 

MIB3  --Excellent fun. 

Snow White & the Huntsman  --Aimed for the Young Adult crowd who like the Twilight movies.  Does nothing particularly brave.  Outside of the CGI, it's actually very conventional and old fashioned.  Similar to the Narnia movies, in many ways, but without the richness of subtexts. 

Prometheus  --Plenty of gory frights, but also one of the purest science fiction movies to come out in a looooong time.  Extraordinary.   

Offline hans

« Reply #569 on: June 25, 2012, 10:34:14 PM »
A nice Gorillaz music video featuring a mix of animation styles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_aUF46r5No&feature=related