Author Topic: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.  (Read 103842 times)

Offline Targeter

Re: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.
« Reply #540 on: March 29, 2012, 03:59:10 PM »
I have to agree with Vix here.  Rise of the Planet of the Apes was hands down the best movie of 2011.  It really surprised me with how good it was, seeing as to how the previous remake was not spoken very highly of at all and prequels in general tend to under-perform in quality.  The story was intriguing, the pace was great, the easter eggs/throwbacks to the originals were nice, and the CGI was phenomenal.

Thoughts on other movies I watched:
Captain America - I happen to be a huge fan of this one.  They did a great job setting it up and delivering the Captain to us, had great moments throughout, and I will miss the cast from the '40s in any sequels they make.
Green Hornet - I found it annoying that they turned it into a slacker comedy, and then on top of that they threw in all these weird, stop-the-action-so-we-can-throw-special-effects-in-your-face effects.  Overall, it was okay, and enjoyable enough to watch.
Green Lantern - I tried to like it, I really did.  I really wanted DC's first Non-Superman/Batman movie in - what? forever? - to be really good, and I always thought Green Lantern was a cool superhero and had a simple yet effective costume  The new costume bugged me so much, and I felt it was so unnecessary.  The movie had some nice moments but I felt it really needed a villain we could identify and appreciate and even relate to in some way.  I didn't care at all about what was happening in the climax.  Still, I enjoyed watching it.
X-Men First Class - The relationship between Charles and Magneto made this movie.  The fight scenes were pretty cool.  Everything else annoyed me.  Ha!  I tried not to watch this from the perspective of an X-Men fan boy ("Why aren't they using the ACTUAL first X-Men from the actual comic titled 'X-Men First Class'?") but trying to view the movie from the perspective that it was a prequel to the rest of the movies was also a tarnished experience due to all the inconsistencies even with those.  And there was the question of several characters' portrayals and motives that I didn't like.  It's worth watching, but I found it hard not to cringe time and again.  ("Mutant, and proud!")

All that said, I am really looking forward to watching Avengers this year.  It looks awesome, and I'm a huge fan of Joss Whedon.  He did a great job with the Astonishing X-Men.  I'm sure he won't disappoint.

And in response to why we can have photo-realistic dinosaurs 20 years ago and still can't do the same with people... It's because the thing that we're around the most and know the most intimately is people, so we can pick up even the subtlest details that betray the illusion that what you are watching is a computer generated image and not a real live person.  We're not as picky with animals and especially dinosaurs, because we don't have anywhere near the experience with them (none at all in the case of dinosaurs.)  If you took still images of the Hulk (from any of the three movies) I bet they will all look photo-realistic enough.  It's the movement that gives it away.  Also, the Hulk is green.  Our minds will automatically know that it is fake.  If he were colorized in flesh tones, I'm sure it wouldn't look as fake to our discerning eyes.

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #541 on: March 31, 2012, 03:27:26 PM »
And in response to why we can have photo-realistic dinosaurs 20 years ago and still can't do the same with people... It's because the thing that we're around the most and know the most intimately is people, so we can pick up even the subtlest details that betray the illusion that what you are watching is a computer generated image and not a real live person.  We're not as picky with animals and especially dinosaurs, because we don't have anywhere near the experience with them (none at all in the case of dinosaurs.)  If you took still images of the Hulk (from any of the three movies) I bet they will all look photo-realistic enough.  It's the movement that gives it away.  Also, the Hulk is green.  Our minds will automatically know that it is fake.  If he were colorized in flesh tones, I'm sure it wouldn't look as fake to our discerning eyes.

Yes, there's a phenomenon related to that, called the Uncanny Valley.

I agree that it's the movements that give the illusion away. CGI characters (but also objects) often don't seem to have the right weight or tempo, or move too smoothly.

I don't quite agree with the "green" thing, though: Lou Ferrigno was also green, but there was no doubt he was real shared the same space as the other characters.

Ray Harryhausen miniatures also didn't move realistically, but they at least felt like real objects.

It's probably also related to the lighting: If something is slightly off, the eye will notice it (unconsciously perhaps).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 03:29:54 PM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #542 on: March 31, 2012, 08:03:13 PM »
Here's a couple of surrealist animations.  Watch 'em, or don't, but then answer a question, if you would, please: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJqo90lNYLs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCHM1do5Vqw&feature=related

What's the most surreal UA mod you've played?

My answer to my question would be: 

Blue Kitten (Bluekitt.zip) and its sequel,
Worm's Eye (Wormseye.zip)
both by Suzanne Ferree. 

Whether fighting in a fruit combat dungeon, or fighting as fruits, these mods are so delightfully unique as to be unforgetable, and not-to-be-missed UA experiences.  The ideas and segues have a childlike sense of wonder and possibilities, making them most pleasantly surreal. 

"Doom Patrol: Crawling from the Wreckage" (Dmpatrol.zip), by Nol Drek, converts one of that superhero team's seriously surreal comicbook adventures, and so ought to be mentioned, as well. 

A number of parody mods have surreal elements, such as "The Quest for the Sword of the Things" (Swothing.zip) by Harri Polsa, and "Amway Attacks!" (Amway.zip) by Brad Foster, but the tone of those mods is more comedic than surreal. 

Other opinions...?

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #543 on: April 01, 2012, 03:20:28 AM »
Oh, I've overlooked your question, hans... I'll have to think about it first, but I think some of your mods had clear surreal elements as well.

Meanwhile, here are Billy Wilder's tips for writers:

1. The audience is fickle.
2. Grab ‘em by the throat and never let ‘em go.
3. Develop a clean line of action for your leading character.
4. Know where you’re going.
5. The more subtle and elegant you are in hiding your plot points, the better you are as a writer.
6. If you have a problem with the third act, the real problem is in the first act.
7. A tip from Lubitsch: Let the audience add up two plus two. They’ll love you forever.
8. In doing voice-overs, be careful not to describe what the audience already sees. Add to what they’re seeing.
9. The event that occurs at the second act curtain triggers the end of the movie.
10. The third act must build, build, build in tempo and action until the last event, and then -
    - that’s it. Don’t hang around.

The one I like most is #7.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #544 on: April 01, 2012, 12:41:44 PM »

The Crawling Chaos by John Rudy. This psychedelic cyberpunk nightmare seems surreal to me.

http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/modules/t/thecrawl.txt
http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/modules/t/thecrawl.zip
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline hans

« Reply #545 on: April 02, 2012, 08:26:10 PM »

1. The audience is fickle.
2. Grab ‘em by the throat and never let ‘em go.
3. Develop a clean line of action for your leading character.
4. Know where you’re going.
5. The more subtle and elegant you are in hiding your plot points, the better you are as a writer.
6. If you have a problem with the third act, the real problem is in the first act.
7. A tip from Lubitsch: Let the audience add up two plus two. They’ll love you forever.
8. In doing voice-overs, be careful not to describe what the audience already sees. Add to what they’re seeing.
9. The event that occurs at the second act curtain triggers the end of the movie.
10. The third act must build, build, build in tempo and action until the last event, and then -
    - that’s it. Don’t hang around.

Nice!  Can you think of examples, positive or negative, where some of these relate well to plotting for UA (using any design, including your own, or going back to the original GoldBoxes)?

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #546 on: April 03, 2012, 01:18:05 PM »

The Crawling Chaos by John Rudy. This psychedelic cyberpunk nightmare seems surreal to me.

http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/modules/t/thecrawl.txt
http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/modules/t/thecrawl.zip

I was going to post the exact same thing, Nol! Well, not word for word, but I was going to say psychedelic cyberpunk and surreal in one sentence. heh

Offline hans

« Reply #547 on: April 03, 2012, 04:09:53 PM »

I haven't played that one, yet.  I have it on my list, tho. 

I don't make much progress on that list, I must confess. 

First of all, I give priority to new mods, letting them cut in line.  Of course, it may not make much sense that even tho I have several of your older mods on my list, too, Nol, that I'm currently playing your new one (JG1-CoT).   :P 

Secondly, my habit is to devote the first hour of my UA time, each evening, to my own mod-making, and when a lot of times I don't even have a full hour to give UA, naturally that means no time for playing.   :-[

Still, I very much appreciate recommendations!  Thanks, Nol & Vix!   ;D 

Offline hans

« Reply #548 on: April 05, 2012, 05:37:01 PM »
Wrath of the Titans is very entertaining, as long as you don't think about it too much.  Its cosmology and a number of plot elements, upon inspection and reflection, are quite contradictory.  Still, it's exciting, visually amazing, better acted, and in pretty much every way superior to the first movie. 

In a number of ways, it's also better than John Carter.  Ultimately, however, because of its contradictions, it's less uplifting.  Still, it ought to do better business than the tragic John Carter box office, after Disney totally bungled that movie's marketing (starting, I insist, on that zero-excitement title!). 

Offline Krys Tamar

• Prince of Vagabonds
    • Taer Campaign
« Reply #549 on: April 06, 2012, 02:07:22 PM »
In a number of ways, it's also better than John Carter.  Ultimately, however, because of its contradictions, it's less uplifting.  Still, it ought to do better business than the tragic John Carter box office, after Disney totally bungled that movie's marketing (starting, I insist, on that zero-excitement title!).

Yeah...John Carter is a bit boring name, when you're used to seeing names like "Flash" Gordon for that genre.

Offline hans

« Reply #550 on: May 08, 2012, 09:42:34 PM »
Boy, the UA side of this forum has been as quiet as the UA mailing list, lately. 

I haven't been posting as much as usual 'cuz I've been channelling all my energies into my mod.  Hopefully, another couple weeks will see me enter the home stretch. 

Still playing Nol's mod periodically, but not as often as I'd like.  Never enough time... 

Here's an amusing Statler Bros. tune, ya'll might like, tho:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P6iqSqJORo&feature=related

Offline hans

« Reply #551 on: May 09, 2012, 09:27:28 AM »
I had a dream, last night, that I gotta share: 

I found myself in a public bathroom, empty, except for the body of someone I knew was important, but not why he was.  Perhaps I had a bit of amnesia. 

It was dusty, the lights were out, but the sun shown through a high window.
I was a bit younger than I am now, and wearing regular street clothes. 

Upon leaving the bathroom, I discovered that I was in a nearly-lifeless city after some sort of disaster.  The building I was in, perhaps originally an office building or department store, was in disarray and badly weathered.  Other than the body I'd left in the bathroom, however, there were no others laying about. 

I didn't have much time to look around before I was confronted by team of super-villains leading a small army of henchmen.  These were minor super-villains, the type usually limited to one or two low-level tricks.  Nobody was flying around, or exhibiting godlike powers.  The henchmen were well-armed, in matching uniforms, sort of like Hydra soldiers, but their colors were more orange-red, and most wore full-face-covering helmets. 

Both villains and henchmen showed no sign of wear, indicating that they were latecomers to the city, and had not gone through whatever disaster had hit it. 

The leader of the villains, he of the evil genius variety, demanded to know who I was.  On an impulse, I decided to try a bold bluff:  "You would know me if I had my heat gun!" I replied, with a bit of an attitude.  I simply chose "heat gun" out of thin air. 

The leader fell for it, and unwittingly filled in the gaps of my bluff, himself, probably to show off his intellect in front of the others.  He identified me as an obscure super-villain who used a heat gun, even adding a bit of background information covering some of "my" old exploits.  I didn't disagree. 

I was given permission to tag along with their group, although without a heat gun they didn't figure I would be of much help to them.  They were on the march, where to and to what purpose I did not know.  And they didn't tell me, as apparently, I still didn't have their full trust. 

The city was big, and we were all on foot, stopping occassionally to eat, rest, or let some henchmen reconnoiter.  Being villains, they were generally discourteous and rude.  So, to fit in, I acted likewise. 

My snottiness rubbed one homicidal henchman the wrong way, during one rest stop, and he attacked me with a knife.  I used a martial arts wristlock to disarm him and force him to the ground.  The rest of the villains, I saw, now expected me to kill the loser.  I considered it...after all, he was a bad guy and surely deserved it, but I had an aversion to killing... 

So, judging him to be about my size, I ordered him to strip.  "You are now Underwear Man," I announced.  I took his weapons, provisions, and put on the uniform, except for the helmet, because (in character) I didn't want to blend in with the henchmen "rabble." 

That's when I woke up.  Many questions left unanswered, like what had happened to the city, or how far that disaster had extended.  I didn't even find out if the villains' goal was truly sinister or not. 

Still, of the dreams I've related in this thread, this one may be most mod-worthy... 

So, Dr. Freud, how would you analyze this one...?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:29:59 AM by hans »

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #552 on: May 10, 2012, 10:25:48 PM »
Sounds like you've watched Dark City recently.  :P

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #553 on: May 11, 2012, 09:29:51 AM »
"You are now Underwear Man," I announced.

Sounds like you saw a Hanes commercial before you went to bed.  ;p

Offline hans

« Reply #554 on: May 11, 2012, 10:36:10 PM »
"You are now Underwear Man," I announced.

Sounds like you saw a Hanes commercial before you went to bed.  ;p

LOL   :laughing7:

In retrospect, I probably should've left out that part...   :icon_geek: