Author Topic: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.  (Read 103889 times)

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Re: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.
« Reply #525 on: March 17, 2012, 04:58:20 AM »
I rented Drive about a month ago. I got so bored that I fast-forwarded through the relationship stuff until the shootout. The two crooks were the only other interesting part.

Drive is a movie that relies on atmosphere, style and performances, rather than the quick cutting and constant banter that so many other movies are dependent on these days (movies too timid to show anything on screen for longer than 0,05 seconds). And Ryan Gosling's performance was captivating.

The guys from Half in the Bag absolutely nailed it in their review.

Welcome back, Ben!   :hello:

Thanks. It's good to be back. :D

:happy1:  My vote for best movie of 2011 would go to:
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows 

Other favorites of the year were:
X-Men: First Class
Captain America: The First Avenger
Puss in Boots
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol 
The Adventures of Tintin

Of these I have only seen X-Men: First Class, which was pretty good (mainly because of Fassbender and James McAvoy), and Captain America, which I thought was a decent movie, but everyone else I've talked to seemed to think it was total trash - can't really explain why.

Released designs:

The Sect

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #526 on: March 17, 2012, 10:36:34 AM »
I rented Drive about a month ago. I got so bored that I fast-forwarded through the relationship stuff until the shootout. The two crooks were the only other interesting part.

Drive is a movie that relies on atmosphere, style and performances, rather than the quick cutting and constant banter that so many other movies are dependent on these days (movies too timid to show anything on screen for longer than 0,05 seconds). And Ryan Gosling's performance was captivating.

The guys from Half in the Bag absolutely nailed it in their review.

I agree with the guy who was in the minority. I also liked Contagion better. Weird movie though. Like the Walking Dead without the zombies at times.

I liked Captain America. It's on my list of must buys as well as First Class. Puss N Boots was decent.  I just bought the original Sherlock Holmes (Downey) yesterday and played it again. Very atmospheric. Jeremy Brett is my favorite Holmes and David Suchet my favorite Poirot. I have the complete annotated Sherlock Holmes in a 2-volume set. Will either rent TinTin on monday or buy it on tuesday.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #527 on: March 17, 2012, 01:37:14 PM »
2011 was a weak year for cinema, IMO. There wasn't a single movie that I awaited with anticipation and I guess none of the few I saw will ever make it into my top 50 (or even top 100?). "True Grit" and "Biutiful" could have been good but all in all I found them rather disappointing; I didn't think much of "Tree of Life" either. I think the ones I liked best were "Black Swan" and "Super 8" but that's not saying a lot. Other movies I've watched at the cinema and enjoyed even though they weren't great include "Winter's Bone", "Carnage", "Somewhere", "The Guard", "The Tree" and "Submarine".

I wil admit though that I didn't watch any of hans' list except for "X-Men: First Class", and that one only on DVD, since I missed it. I liked it, it was well-written and entertaining. I thought about watching "Drive" but some bad reviews convinced me to pass on it; dunno, something about the story and dialogues not being all that great and the depicted violence being gratuituously brutal or something, but it seems I put my trust in teh wrong people. I'll make a note of renting it and make up my own mind.  :)

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #528 on: March 17, 2012, 06:49:27 PM »
John Carter is a terrific movie. 

It's nice to see this for the 100th anniversary of the serialization of "A Princess of Mars" in 1912. The story is fast-paced, episodic, and there are many alien races to encounter. It reminds me of a Flash Gordon serial, and I mean that in a good way.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline hans

« Reply #529 on: March 17, 2012, 08:20:39 PM »
2011 was a weak year for cinema, IMO. There wasn't a single movie that I awaited with anticipation and I guess none of the few I saw will ever make it into my top 50 (or even top 100?). "True Grit" and "Biutiful" could have been good but all in all I found them rather disappointing; I didn't think much of "Tree of Life" either. I think the ones I liked best were "Black Swan" and "Super 8" but that's not saying a lot. Other movies I've watched at the cinema and enjoyed even though they weren't great include "Winter's Bone", "Carnage", "Somewhere", "The Guard", "The Tree" and "Submarine"...

We seem to have quite different tastes, amigo.  My own seem to revolve around heroic fiction.  I enjoy watching larger-than-life heroes through many genres (action, spy, superhero, sci-fi, western, fantasy, kung fu, etc.).  While I occassionally watch something else, like comedies or horror, the tight economic times have narrowed my cine-going budget to almost nothing but heroic fictions --"blood & thunder."  (If I had more spare cash, I would probably go see Casa de Mi Padre this week.)  Of my all-time favorite movies, only Walt Disney's Fantasia isn't anchored by a strong heroic presence.   

In self-reflection, I wonder why I seem particularly drawn to the hero stuff.  Do I seek emotional reinforcement of the positive traits the great heroes emphasize, to better incorporate those into my own, less-adrenalinized, life?  Or do I egotistically seek to identify myself with someone of far superior cloth, to make me feel better about myself?  Or am I seeking their protection in my frequent escapism?  Or, any of another half-dozen pop psychology theories.   :P

I do know that I prefer them in situations far removed from normal life.  This enhances the possible metaphors, which I greatly enjoy contemplating.  I used to like grittier action hero fare in my youth, like urban vigilantes, but soured of such fare.  I find revenge to be the lowest of motivations for a hero, something better left to villains.

Inspiration, wish-fulfillment, comfort...whatever.  I know what I like.  Souls respond to art in their own, unique ways. "I yam what I yam."       

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #530 on: March 18, 2012, 03:38:48 AM »
]I agree with the guy who was in the minority.

Which one? Mike, who liked the movie, or Jay, who also liked the movie? ???

2011 was a weak year for cinema, IMO. There wasn't a single movie that I awaited with anticipation and I guess none of the few I saw will ever make it into my top 50 (or even top 100?). "True Grit" and "Biutiful" could have been good but all in all I found them rather disappointing; I didn't think much of "Tree of Life" either. I think the ones I liked best were "Black Swan" and "Super 8" but that's not saying a lot. Other movies I've watched at the cinema and enjoyed even though they weren't great include "Winter's Bone", "Carnage", "Somewhere", "The Guard", "The Tree" and "Submarine".

"True Grit" and "Black Swan" were both from 2010 - and both great. :D

I agree that 2011 was a weaker year then 2010 and 2009 (which were exceptionally good years for cinema). But there are some films from 2011 that I still have to watch - Hugo, The Artist, Mission Impossible, Sherlock Holmes, etc.

I thought about watching "Drive" but some bad reviews convinced me to pass on it; dunno, something about the story and dialogues not being all that great and the depicted violence being gratuituously brutal or something, but it seems I put my trust in teh wrong people. I'll make a note of renting it and make up my own mind. 

It's not a movie about plot or dialogue. It's a style-over-substance-movie in the best possble way.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #531 on: March 18, 2012, 06:16:05 AM »
We seem to have quite different tastes, amigo. 

I guess so. I like to watch superhero movies too but they're not my favorite genre and I think I might like superheroes more for their inner struggles than their heroic feats, the human side of the "superman", so to speak. So I'd also prefer movies with emphasis on character development over pure action spectacles.

It's not a movie about plot or dialogue. It's a style-over-substance-movie in the best possble way.

Ah. Not sure if I'd enjoy it then, but my curiosity is aroused enough to give it a chance sooner or later.

"True Grit" and "Black Swan" were both from 2010 - and both great. :D

I agree that 2011 was a weaker year then 2010 and 2009 (which were exceptionally good years for cinema). But there are some films from 2011 that I still have to watch - Hugo, The Artist, Mission Impossible, Sherlock Holmes, etc.

Ah, yeah, well, you're right and I kind of feared someone would make this objections about a few movies I named.  :) I tend to remember them by the year I watched them and since a lot them arrive her later than in the US ... I actually saw "The Artist", too (in 2012 though). It's a good movie, but maybe also a bit on the style over substance side. The performances by the lead actor and actress are great and it's fun to watch for the most part but the plot is kept simple (maybe due to it being a silent movie or in reverence to the old movies that were like this), so it doesn't offer you lots to think about. I guess that might be my one of my own prioritized incentives to go to the cinema, good stories, interesting characters, clever story-telling and food for thought. Well, that and quirkiness, probably.  ;D I love screwball comedies with creative visual ideas, too.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #532 on: March 19, 2012, 01:18:30 AM »
I saw about 100 movies last year between the theater and DVDs. I went to the movies once a week for most of the year. The few weeks I missed were made up for by weeks where I saw 2 or even 3 movies. The rest were rented via Netflix DVD and/or Streaming ...

I think I'll post my favorite move for each month, based on release, even if I saw it on DVD well after the release date ...

So, a Top 12 (by month), I guess:

01 - The Green Hornet
        (Special Mention: Season of the Witch - horrible movie, but awesome if you look at it as if it were a live action D&D game session!)
02 - Drive Angry 3D
        Bugnuts insane Nic Cage movie that is all kinds of awesomesauce.
03 - Rango
        Awesome CG, wonderful deconstruction of the Hero's Journey, and a western, too boot!
04 - Source Code
        I don't like Jake Gyllenhaal much, but he was great in this Mystery Box action/thriller
05 - Kung Fu Panda 2
        I love this series, and the Nickelodeon cartoon, too.
        (Note: If Thor had stuck mostly with the Asgard and non-Earth story, it would have likely been my 2nd most favorite of the year. But, noooo ... they had to muck it up with our mudball.)
        (Note 2: Hobo with a Shotgun is another bugnuts crazy movie that must be seen to be believed!)
06 - X-Men: First Class
        Fassbender and McAvoy steal the show, as I think does Bacon. Best X-Men movie to date.
        (I really liked Transformers: Dark of the Moon, too, but X-Men was far superior story and character-wise)
07 - Captain America: First Avenger
        They did the character justice, but I wish there were more of the Howling Commandos.
        (Special Note: Attack the Block was really, really good for a low-budget sci-fi action movie, but my heart belongs to super heroes)
08 - Rise of the Planet of the Apes
        Probably my favorite movie overall this year. Fantastic all around.
09 - Drive
        For the reason expounded above. Great atmospheric thriller.
        Tucker and Dale vs. Evil was my guilty pleasure this month. So awesome for a reverse horror movie. hehe
10 - Real Steel
       A bit cliche overall, but .. c'mon! Liva action Rock-'em-Sock-'em Robots!!!
       (I just saw The Big Year two days ago, which came out in October 2011. I haven't fully processed it yet, but i think I might like it better in the long run.)
11 - The Muppets
        Ahhhhhhh, nostalgia!
12 - Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
       It eeked past Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows because I enjoyed the actiony-ness of MI bettere than the cerbreal-action of Holmes.

Favorite of 2011 - Rise of the Planet of the Apes

My Highly Anticipated But Wound Up Disappointed Movie of 2011?  Cowboys & Aliens
How could that go so wrong? Still, worth watching Harrison Ford in it. One of his better recent performances.
Thor falls into this category, too, but I still watched it twice at the theaters and several times at home just for the Asgrad scenes. (Loki rules)

You guys have True Grit listed, but that was Dec 2010. I actually did not see it until January 2011, and would definitely beat out Green Hornet, but sticking to release months. :(

« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:21:50 AM by Vix »

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #533 on: March 19, 2012, 04:55:01 AM »
Great list, Vix. Lots of movies in there that I still have to see.

Ah. Not sure if I'd enjoy it then, but my curiosity is aroused enough to give it a chance sooner or later.
(...)
 I guess that might be my one of my own prioritized incentives to go to the cinema, good stories, interesting characters, clever story-telling and food for thought. Well, that and quirkiness, probably.  ;D I love screwball comedies with creative visual ideas, too.

I didn't want to say that "Drive" offers nothing to think about. It's rather similar to Taxi Driver in more than one way: On the surface, that movie also had a fairly simple story - but it always depends on what a movie is doing with a story like that. The way it's told matters a lot.

Released designs:

The Sect

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #534 on: March 19, 2012, 10:47:32 AM »
2010 was a really good year. I still only own half the movies I liked (I buy big groups durng TV lulls). 2011 seemed to be a dismal year until the end of it. The only one I really want to see is the Adventures of TinTin. I'll probably buy that sight unseen tomorrow. I like superhero movies because I used to collect comics. They are usually old friends.

Just saw the last episode of season 2 of The Walking Dead. Didn't realize it was based on a comic. So the question is: If you have the disease in you already why do you get infected and die if bitten? Won't amputation or penicillin stop death?

Offline hans

« Reply #535 on: March 25, 2012, 03:13:07 PM »
I confess to being disappointed... 

After the rip-roaring successes of the Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes movies, I was expecting other literary detectives to get their own full-on action hero treatments. 

Charlie Chan as a kung fu master... 

Hercule Poirot with a body buffed up enough to justify his first name... 

Miss Marple as portrayed by Angelina Jolie... 

...etc...

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #536 on: March 26, 2012, 05:55:35 PM »
The Rock is Encyclopedia Brown ... and he doesn't give any quarter. But he does take them.

Offline hans

« Reply #537 on: March 26, 2012, 08:03:29 PM »
The Rock is Encyclopedia Brown ... and he doesn't give any quarter. But he does take them.

LOL   :laughing7:

Offline hans

« Reply #538 on: March 27, 2012, 11:32:51 PM »
Neat quote from Adventure Time: 

Finn: "I can't just beat up the Ice King for no reason, that's against my alignment."

Offline hans

« Reply #539 on: March 28, 2012, 11:40:36 PM »
Here's a couple of surrealist animations.  Watch 'em, or don't, but then answer a question, if you would, please: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJqo90lNYLs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCHM1do5Vqw&feature=related

What's the most surreal UA mod you've played?

anything