Author Topic: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.  (Read 103889 times)

Offline hans

Re: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.
« Reply #510 on: January 18, 2012, 01:55:40 PM »
There's always too many ideas in my head to ever find time to do for UA. 

This morning, for old-times sake, I had a bowl of Count Chocula breakfast cereal.  It wasn't too bad.  I hadn't had one since my addled adolescence.  I wish some other old favorites, like Quisp and Quake and King Vitamin were still around... 

I thought about how I might make a mod using cereal characters as pre-made PCs... 

Quisp, Quake, and Count Chocula would have to be in the party, as those are the fond favorites of my youth.  And if I have Count Chocula, I can't really leave out Frankenberry.  For UA combat balance, I really ought to have a magical character, so I could add "Lucky" the leprechaun from Lucky Charms.  That'd leave one spot open, perhaps for the Trix Rabbit, Cap'n Crunch, King Vitamin, Sugar Bear (Super Sugar Crisp mascot), "Sonny" the cuckoo bird (Cocoa Puffs), Tony the Tiger (Frosted Flakes), or Toucan Sam (Froot Loops).  It would be nice to have a female on the team, but I can't think of a major cereal female mascot (Pebbles Flintstone doesn't count, because she didn't start as a cereal ad, plus she's just a baby!). 

The team being assembled, the rest of their "world" I would populate with other cartoon advertising characters, like Li'l Sprout and Chester Cheetah (perhaps too limiting), or Saturday morning cartoon characters, like Rocky and Bullwinkle.   

To accentuate the parody aspect of the mod, I would make the story dark and violent.  It would be interesting to see how I could contrast the innocent images of kid's breakfast cereals with adult themes of corruption and evil. 

Yeah, ...it might've made for an interesting Rocco Taku mod, but I've got better ideas to pursue.   
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 02:03:29 PM by hans »

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #511 on: January 19, 2012, 06:24:32 PM »
One of my ancient mod ideas was very similar.

It was going to use the SHUA worldhack, back when it came out. The player would play a character that was sent to investigate the mysterious deaths of several cartoon cereal mascots, ala Roger Rabbit. He was going to be an anthropomorphic alligator wearing a vest. Yes, name was going to be The InvestiGator.

The InvestiGator would have met with several mascots, fought some cereal related stuff, and found out the deaths were murders. Several more mascots would die, and the investigator would find out Sunny Jim, the world's first cereal mascot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_%28cereal%29) was behind everything, and race to stop his final murder by using a magic spoon..

The name of the mod idea?

Cereal Killer

Offline hans

« Reply #512 on: January 19, 2012, 06:41:18 PM »
One of my ancient mod ideas was very similar.

It was going to use the SHUA worldhack, back when it came out. The player would play a character that was sent to investigate the mysterious deaths of several cartoon cereal mascots, ala Roger Rabbit. He was going to be an anthropomorphic alligator wearing a vest. Yes, name was going to be The InvestiGator.

The InvestiGator would have met with several mascots, fought some cereal related stuff, and found out the deaths were murders. Several more mascots would die, and the investigator would find out Sunny Jim, the world's first cereal mascot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_%28cereal%29) was behind everything, and race to stop his final murder by using a magic spoon..

The name of the mod idea?

Cereal Killer

Wow!  That's a hundred times better than my idea!  Even your synopsis is cool!   :hello2:

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #513 on: January 19, 2012, 08:07:27 PM »
To accentuate the parody aspect of the mod, I would make the story dark and violent.  It would be interesting to see how I could contrast the innocent images of kid's breakfast cereals with adult themes of corruption and evil. 

So the Trix Rabbit would be a prostitute and Sonny the Cuckoo Bird would be an addict?
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline hans

« Reply #514 on: January 21, 2012, 02:09:08 PM »
Think Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Crunch Berry...
 :icon_cherry: 

(edit:  Okay, when I wrote the above, I had no idea that urban slang asserts that "crunchberry" has some nasty connotations already.  Check here if you want to lose all happy childhood innocence about this breakfast cereal:  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crunchberry *warning: X-rated*.  Seems, you were closer to reality than my imagination, Nol.  Man, makes me regret my whole idea.  Apparently, once again, real life is much worse than art could ever be.)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 07:07:10 PM by hans »

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #515 on: February 07, 2012, 04:54:05 PM »
Scale of the Universe: This makes you feel quite small.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #516 on: March 04, 2012, 10:02:13 PM »
"You know what really grinds my gears?"    :angry5:

A movie/tv special effect that has somehow become popular recently, but which I detest, is the superspeed blur movement of vampires, ninjas, and other assorted super beings.
(Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWBezwC48DI)

You know what I find visually more interesting and exciting than an indistinct blur that I can barely see...?  Practically anything. 
 :sad5:
Count Yorga, fangs wide, sprinting toward the audience in slo-mo was a frightening movie moment that I recall fondly.  A blink-and-you-missed-it vampire fight from today's Hollywood brood elicits only resentment in me.
 :angry9:
If they ever do a Flash, "the fastest man alive," movie, they better come up with a more interesting way of showing speed than this wore-out, weak, nonsense.
 :violent5:

Offline hans

« Reply #517 on: March 11, 2012, 08:57:07 PM »
Lately I've been watching an episode or two of Dark Shadows on DVD to relax in the evening.  I was a fan, as a boy, back in the '60's. 

I'm looking forward to Tim Burton's/Johnny Depp's feature version, this Summer, but not without some reservations...  I shudder when I remember what Burton did to Planet of the Apes...  :o

It doesn't look like Quentin Collins will be in this one, but here's his theme, lyrics spookily recited by David Selby, himself: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrPV93e8znQ&feature=related

Offline hans

« Reply #518 on: March 13, 2012, 08:00:07 PM »
John Carter is a terrific movie. 

When I heard it announced, my biggest fear was that the (bland) title would doom it.  I mean, what does the name "John Carter" mean to most folks?  I thought they should've named it "John Carter of Mars," or even "Barsoom" -- at least that would be less completely ordinary sounding.  But I suppose Disney spends many thousands of dollars for focus groups before they settle on a surefire title... 

Judging by the large crowd, today, for a Tuesday afternoon showing, though, it doesn't appear to have hurt the box-office.

Offline Krys Tamar

• Prince of Vagabonds
    • Taer Campaign
« Reply #519 on: March 15, 2012, 05:10:38 PM »
"You know what really grinds my gears?"    :angry5:

A movie/tv special effect that has somehow become popular recently, but which I detest, is the superspeed blur movement of vampires, ninjas, and other assorted super beings.
(Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWBezwC48DI)

You know what I find visually more interesting and exciting than an indistinct blur that I can barely see...?  Practically anything. 
 :sad5:
Count Yorga, fangs wide, sprinting toward the audience in slo-mo was a frightening movie moment that I recall fondly.  A blink-and-you-missed-it vampire fight from today's Hollywood brood elicits only resentment in me.
 :angry9:
If they ever do a Flash, "the fastest man alive," movie, they better come up with a more interesting way of showing speed than this wore-out, weak, nonsense.
 :violent5:

They should do more normal fights, but pay attention to slowing down everything in the backdrop.  Now that would be cool!

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #520 on: March 15, 2012, 11:17:56 PM »
Lately I've been watching an episode or two of Dark Shadows on DVD to relax in the evening.  I was a fan, as a boy, back in the '60's. 

I'm looking forward to Tim Burton's/Johnny Depp's feature version, this Summer, but not without some reservations...  I shudder when I remember what Burton did to Planet of the Apes...  :o

The trailer is out for the new Dark Shadows.  Seems they went .. comedic? o.O

Offline hans

« Reply #521 on: March 15, 2012, 11:52:03 PM »
The trailer is out for the new Dark Shadows.  Seems they went .. comedic? o.O

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!"  :sad6:

Well, this answers the question of why WB waited so long to promote it (releasing the first trailer only 2 months before the opening?!).  DS fandom must be grabbing their pitchforks.

This reminds me of the SouthPark episode where George Lucas & Steven Spielberg blanked Indiana Jones. 

My anticipation has greatly diminished.   :sad5:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 11:53:37 PM by hans »

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #522 on: March 16, 2012, 02:03:54 PM »
Drive was the best movie of last year.

The new Avengers trailer looks neat, but why are they still unable to create convincing CGI characters, 20 years after "Jurassic Park"? I know many people don't mind, but the Hulk looks horrible, and I don't mean that in a good way. Get Lou Ferrigno and paint him green = a lot more scary.

P.S. I'm back, Baby - after a longer absence.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #523 on: March 16, 2012, 05:28:48 PM »
Drive was the best movie of last year.
I rented Drive about a month ago. I got so bored that I fast-forwarded through the relationship stuff until the shootout. The two crooks were the only other interesting part.

Offline hans

« Reply #524 on: March 16, 2012, 07:55:23 PM »
P.S. I'm back, Baby - after a longer absence.

Welcome back, Ben!   :hello:

:happy1:  My vote for best movie of 2011 would go to:
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows 

Other favorites of the year were:
X-Men: First Class
Captain America: The First Avenger
Puss in Boots
Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol 
The Adventures of Tintin