Author Topic: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.  (Read 103889 times)

Offline hans

Re: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.
« Reply #435 on: September 01, 2011, 10:22:40 PM »
It's good to see you posting again, GoldBoxFan!   :)

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #436 on: September 01, 2011, 10:40:04 PM »
It's good to see you posting again, GoldBoxFan!   :)
It's only been 33 days without a post. ::)

I was checking out the 2,200+ WOTC 4th edition articles, didn't much like the August heat, played a couple hundred games of Minesweeper, and spent most of the month reading Terry Pratchett novels at the rate of 1 every 3 days. And I crossed into my 7th year as a NWN1 modder. As well as being here over a year now (1 year, 9 days.

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #437 on: September 02, 2011, 02:27:11 AM »
Movies are never as good as the books, unless it's a poorly written book adapted from a movie.

However, the BBC productions of The Colour of Magic, The Hogfather, and Going Postal are certainly worth watching.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #438 on: September 02, 2011, 02:31:02 PM »
spent most of the month reading Terry Pratchett novels at the rate of 1 every 3 days.

What's your favorite Discworld novel?

My top three:

1. Small Gods
2. Night Watch
3. Reaper Man
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #439 on: September 04, 2011, 08:46:57 AM »
What's your favorite Discworld novel?

I know you didn't asked me, but here are mine (sorted by mini series, as it makes the decision easier on me):  :)

Witches: "Witches Abroad"
Rincewind: "Interesting Times"
Watch: maybe "Feet of Clay" but they're all quite good
Death: not sure, maybe "Mort" or "Reaper Man"? (don't remember that much of them)
Stand-alone: "Small Gods" or "Going Postal" (pretending it is a stand-alone novel; I hear the sequel is just the same in a different disguise and not that interesting, haven't read it yet)

What's your least favorite Discworld novel?

Mine was "Carpe Jugulum", by far. There were several that were a bit weak but still okay and enjoyable, but this is the only one I, for some reason, really disliked and wish it had never happened (or at least wish I hadn't wasted my time with it  >:( ).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 08:51:15 AM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #440 on: September 04, 2011, 03:36:10 PM »
I know you didn't asked me, but here are mine

Your contributions are always welcome. :)

Stand-alone: "Small Gods" or "Going Postal" (pretending it is a stand-alone novel; I hear the sequel is just the same in a different disguise and not that interesting, haven't read it yet)

I thought "Making Money" was quite good, even if it wasn't as fresh as "Going Postal".

What's your least favorite Discworld novel?

Mine was "Carpe Jugulum", by far. There were several that were a bit weak but still okay and enjoyable, but this is the only one I, for some reason, really disliked and wish it had never happened (or at least wish I hadn't wasted my time with it  >:( ).

In my opinion, Pratchett went through a weak stretch in the late 90's, lasting roughly from "Jingo" to "The Fifth Elephant", when the four "main series" began treading water.
After that, he retired (or semi-retired, in the case of Rincewind) three of the ongoing series (the exception being the City Watch), and the novels got better again. He produced some of his best novels after the year 2000, the best of which - for me - is "Night Watch".
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #441 on: September 04, 2011, 10:33:43 PM »
I only have 10 Prachett novels at the moment: The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Sourcery, Eric, Pyramids, Moving Pictures, Small Gods, The Truth, Hogfather and I Shall Wear Midnight. I read eight of them in the past 2 months, am on Moving Pictures for the second time and have yet to reread Small Gods. The description of Small Gods from the publishers doesn't refresh my memory in any way.

Of these I think The Light Fantastic or The Truth is the funniest. I Shall Wear Midnight is the least funniest since it is written for young adults apparently, and seems rather dark. Moving Pictures seems funnier this time around, possible because I know the characters like the Bursar, Archchancellor and Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler from Hogfather and the Truth.

I did order Equal Rites, Mort, Wyrd Sisters, Guards! Guards!, Interesting Times, The Amazing Maurice and His Rodents and Reaper Man. One of each series though Mort and Reaper Man might be the same series. I didn't want to read several of the same series in a row, but I tried to get the earliest version of each series so I could read them mostly in chronological order. I plan on ordering 6 to 8 more every 2-3 months until I have them all. I don't want to read too much or I won't get anything done due to lack of sleep.

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #442 on: September 04, 2011, 10:46:47 PM »
I also just got the Legacy Collections of Dracula, The Wolf Man, The Mummy, The Invisible Man and The Creature From The Black Lagoon, with 3 to 5 movies from 1933 to 1945 in each collection. I already had the Frankenstein Legacy Collection of 5 movies and Dracula, Frankenstein and The Wolf Man from the Van Helsing Boxed Collection. So when my Frankenstein DVDs got loose in the mail, the damage wasn't worth sending them back for. This time only one disk from the Wolf Man Collection came loose and took two chips out of the disk. She-Wolf of London came out fine, but Werewolf of London had a few places where it slowed down but didn't loose anything. The documentary lost a part during the Abbott and Costello Meet the Wolf Man description.

So of the 24 or so movies from the 30s and 40s classics which was best and which worst? I think The Wolf Man is the best with Dracula and Frankenstein tied for second best. I haven't seen them all yet, though I am anxious to. I Think the Creature From The Black Lagoon might be the worst. These would also be my and TSR's inspiration for Ravenloft, another reason I got them. To inspire me to get back to finishing some of my Ravenloft modules.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #443 on: September 05, 2011, 01:29:49 PM »
Now if I can only find Dolph Lungren's Punisher I think I'll have all of Marvel's live action movies.

Do you have Doctor Strange? Or the Roger Corman Fantastic Four? What about the Spider-Man TV series pilot that was released as a movie outside the US?

Not sure if the old Spider-Man pilot/movie would count as a movie, though. Hmmmm ... And, technically, the Roger Corman FF was never released. Not even on VHS or DVD, I beleive. So that might not count, either.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #444 on: September 05, 2011, 05:26:13 PM »
Check out these great animated movie gifs. :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 05:29:48 PM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #445 on: September 05, 2011, 07:45:27 PM »
Now if I can only find Dolph Lungren's Punisher I think I'll have all of Marvel's live action movies.

Do you have Doctor Strange? Or the Roger Corman Fantastic Four? What about the Spider-Man TV series pilot that was released as a movie outside the US?

Not sure if the old Spider-Man pilot/movie would count as a movie, though. Hmmmm ... And, technically, the Roger Corman FF was never released. Not even on VHS or DVD, I beleive. So that might not count, either.
Nope, don't have them.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #446 on: September 05, 2011, 08:38:48 PM »

Nope, don't have them.

Not missing much.

Offline hans

« Reply #447 on: September 05, 2011, 09:09:25 PM »
So of the 24 or so movies from the 30s and 40s classics which was best and which worst? I think The Wolf Man is the best with Dracula and Frankenstein tied for second best. I haven't seen them all yet, though I am anxious to. I Think the Creature From The Black Lagoon might be the worst.

The Creature from the Black Lagoon was actually a 50s movie.  Judged among the other 50s monster movies, I consider it one of the best.  The scene where the Gill-man is swimming with the unsuspecting (and uber-beautiful) Julie Adams is a mesmerizingly primal and suspenseful piece of cinema.  All the underwater camera work was superb. 

I assume your question is limited to the horror genre, if not specifically Universal horror movies. 

For me, one of the best horror movies of all time was the original King Kong (1933). 

Val Lewton's Cat People and The Leopard Man are amazingly effective horrors despite their small budgets.

Here's a tentative my top ten favorite 30s-40s horror movies list: 

1. King Kong (1933)
2. Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman (1943) --cheezy but great fun.
3. The Wolfman (1941)
4. Dracula (1931)
5. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939)
5. The Leopard Man (1943)
6. The Mummy's Hand (1940) --funnest of the Mummies.
7. Cat People (1942)
8. Mighty Joe Young (1949)
9. The Bride of Frankenstein (1935) --camp over horror.
10. The Island of Lost Souls (1933)

Fave 50's horrors:

1. The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)
2. The Thing From Another World (1951)
3. The Creature From the Black Lagoon (1954)
4. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
5. Them! (1954)
6. It! The Terror from Beyond Space (1958)
7. 20 Million Miles to Earth (1957)
8. The Alligator People (1959)
9. The Creature Walks Among Us (1956)
10. The Bad Seed (1956) --nothing's more horrible than a kid!

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #448 on: September 06, 2011, 10:05:37 AM »
10. The Bad Seed (1956) --nothing's more horrible than a kid!

Just have to chime in here:  we viewed this film as part of our ninth-grade curriculum.  Beat out any speeches about abstinence by a good few miles.  Still get uneasy around little girls with pigtails.

PS:  whatever happened to penmanship skills?  I feel so old.  *sigh*

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #449 on: September 06, 2011, 10:56:54 AM »
I feel so old.  *sigh*[/size]

Well, you're as young as you feel!

(Yeah, me too.)
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.