Author Topic: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.  (Read 103753 times)

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
Re: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.
« Reply #421 on: August 17, 2011, 01:38:24 AM »
No Robert Crumb on anybody's list?

(Okay, it's about mainstream comics, but still...)

R. Crumb probably belongs on the list in place of either Chris Ware or Basil Wolverton.

I also question the choice of Mike Mignola, even though I think he is a great illustrator. The article has this to say about Mike Mignola:
As he let his imagination run rampant, his artwork grew darker, more experimental, and more daring: abstract backgrounds, rough faces, exaggerated anatomy, and impenetrable pools of shadow became his hallmarks.

This would be high praise, if it weren't for the fact that Frank Miller's Sin City came out about 2 years before the first appearance of Hellboy.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline hans

« Reply #422 on: August 17, 2011, 04:27:34 PM »
R. Crumb probably belongs on the list in place of either Chris Ware or Basil Wolverton.

I would object to Basil Wolverton being replaced.  Not to slight Crumb, but Wolverton was a groundbreaking original whose art (and influence) extended earlier (the Golden Age) and within the mainstream of comics (even tho his style was arguably most embraced by later alternative comicbook artists). 

My list was pretty centered on artists who've left major mainstream imprints.  Including alternative artists certainly adds a good many more names to an already crowded discussion of giants in the artform.  Even moreso if the discussion is expanded to include comic strip artists or manga or fumetti. 

Will Elder and Harvey Kurtzman are also two that should be included before Crumb, IMO, because their influences were also earlier and greater than Crumb's.  Crumb is arguably the most important creator of the alternative comics movement, but those two created and polished panel pacing storytelling techniques that have since been used almost constantly in comics, to great effect, in everything from MAD to Watchmen. 

When connecting the dots of whose contributions were most influential to the comicbook form it's difficult but important to look beyond levels of popularity, either current or longterm, however deserved that popularity may be. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 04:29:45 PM by hans »

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #423 on: August 19, 2011, 11:31:10 PM »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #424 on: August 20, 2011, 03:00:51 PM »
Thanks for that. Here's a cookie for you.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline hans

« Reply #425 on: August 22, 2011, 10:38:44 PM »
A couple of robot music videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zQj6iwoitg&feature=related

Video game throwback images included in this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoeuZCPLdgA&feature=related

Offline hans

« Reply #426 on: August 24, 2011, 07:07:09 PM »
The new Conan the Barbarian is not as bad as its abysmal opening weekend would indicate (barely over 10 mil!).  It's no masterpiece, tho.  Jason Momoa makes a better, more convincing Conan than Schwarzenegger, but most other comparisons of the films prove the newer to be the weaker.  It's a B-movie that probably should've been kept to Spring or Fall release instead of fighting for the last few crumbs of a blockbuster Summer.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #427 on: August 25, 2011, 01:36:03 AM »
My favorite clip from the old Conan

Practically anybody is a better actor than Mr Schwarzenegger, but the new Conan has several things working against it. Marcus Nispel hasn't made a good movie... ever. Not even a halfway decent one. Tyler Bates can't hold a candle to Basil Poledouris, etc.

This is one to watch on DVD, I guess.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #428 on: August 25, 2011, 01:56:23 AM »
This is one to watch on DVD, I guess.

Or not.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #429 on: August 25, 2011, 11:30:48 PM »
Or not.

Yeah, or maybe not even that. :D
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #430 on: August 28, 2011, 10:07:53 PM »
Surfer rock and roll tunes with a Russian slant: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjYySx1_IGQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj4o2OCPwwc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=m_dEngPjKZg

For Guard-Ĉon (Shuaaeon.zip), I had decided that it would help keep a sense of speed (or dynamic energy) in the mini-mod if I used only surfer rock tunes.  That design certainly reflected a different, unusual approach in both narrative and musical cues for me, but I was satisfied with the result.  I don't think it would work as well with a longer mod, tho.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #431 on: August 28, 2011, 11:42:24 PM »

Nice. Now let's find some balalaika tunes with a Texan accent. ;D
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #432 on: August 29, 2011, 12:41:27 AM »

Nice. Now let's find some balalaika tunes with a Texan accent. ;D

Be careful what you ask for. You might get it.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #433 on: September 01, 2011, 03:47:34 PM »
Chump and Clump

Funny animated short.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #434 on: September 01, 2011, 10:01:38 PM »
It appears I am inspired by Terry Prachett. I didn't think anyone but Tolkien and Moorcock inspired me, but after finding my 9 Discworld novels (including an unread Hogfather several years old), I started reading/rereading them and noticed similarities in my Totenwelt campaign world. There are also some similarities in my 1978-1983 Moonshadow campaign world, but it predates Discworld so it must be a coincidence.

I never really got Discworld until I saw a trailer for the Hogfather. It looked good so I bought the DVD. It had the wizards, death, susan, the assassins, the beggars and the watch. Basically all the recurring characters except the witches and Rincewind. I had been ignoring any discworld novels that involved the witches, the watch or anything that seemed modern (I didn't like reading Moving Pictures). So I ended up with two Science Fiction collections of 4 Rincewind and 3 unconnected novels, The Truth and The Hogfather. The SFBC only had Unseen Academicals and I Shall Wear Midnight, so I bought the later. I am mostly through Pyramids again. I just ordered 7 Discworld novels and Good Omens.

After many years toiling away at killing the same monsters over and over again, I got a bit jaded. So I decided to make my new game world (Totenwelt) a more humorous world based more on faerie tales and arthurian ballads. I describe it as the Brothers Grimm meets Terry Prachett with some Hitchhiker's Guide thrown in as well. It only has one small area with your standard humanoid cannon fodder to kill. And a bunch of legends like the Jigsaw Man and Old Man Gnarly. I'm close to finishing the first module for NWN1, which I will then try to convert to FRUA.

Actually its my 4th module in Totenwelt, but the first in a series from 1st-40th level. I might consider converting one of the other ones. I also made a short parody for FRUA which is 80% complete if I can remember it to finish it.

On the comic front, I just saw the original live action Captain America (1990) with Darren McGavin, Ned Beatty and Ronny Cox. It has never been on DVD, but it had commercials for the new Captain America. And I'm eagerly awaiting Thor on DVD. Now if I can only find Dolph Lungren's Punisher I think I'll have all of Marvel's live action movies.

anything