Author Topic: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.  (Read 103578 times)

Offline hans

Re: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.
« Reply #390 on: July 14, 2011, 12:32:41 AM »
For many years, I used to listen on the radio each week to the Doctor Demento Show.  Some examples of the demented music he'd play:

Soggy Cereal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1bQlTrv8ts  

The Hostility Rag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1PvImWU3fk

I'm A Fool For Beans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGg4qMKiKro

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #391 on: July 21, 2011, 01:23:36 PM »
Going to randomly post some of my favorite movie themes.

Today: "The Conversation" by David Shire
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #392 on: July 21, 2011, 01:51:01 PM »
More superhero stuff:

I'm slightly underwhelmed by the new Spider-Man trailer.

Do we really need to see the same story that the first Raimi film told all over again, only this time in a somber and depressing mood rather than a cheerful one? At least that's the impression I get from the trailer.
And what's up with the videogame-like POV shot? I hope that's not going to be in the actual movie.

The trailers for Captain America and The Dark Knight Rises are looking way better.

Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #393 on: July 22, 2011, 03:15:18 AM »
Favorite movie themes continues with "Dance of the Vampires" by Krzysztof Komeda
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #394 on: July 24, 2011, 02:43:47 AM »
Another cool theme: Assault on Precinct 13.
By John Carpenter, of course, not the already-forgotten remake.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #395 on: July 28, 2011, 12:04:58 AM »
Captain America is outstanding!  Best comicbook movie of the year.  One of the best comicbook movies, ever! 

And it was also very refreshing to have a superhero movie extol the old fashioned morality of the Golden Age without a hint of satire or mockery, unlike The Spirit or The Green Hornet.  It is serious without being pushed into the dark territories of Batman or Watchmen.  There is humor without a tongue slipping into a cheek, unlike Iron Man or The Fantastic Four.  Moreover, the Captain deliberately chooses to pursue heroism out of his own free will, without being backdoored into it after gaining his powers, like Spider-Man or Green Lantern.

It's a superhero and a movie worthy of a salute.   :icon_salut:

I'm slightly underwhelmed by the new Spider-Man trailer.
Do we really need to see the same story that the first Raimi film told all over again, only this time in a somber and depressing mood rather than a cheerful one? At least that's the impression I get from the trailer.
And what's up with the videogame-like POV shot? I hope that's not going to be in the actual movie.

The POV shot looked much better on the big screen.  More exciting than people sitting down to dinner and talking or looking at each other in a lab someplace, etc.  Makes me fear the makers are shooting for 100% angst.   :icon_puke_l: 

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #396 on: July 28, 2011, 08:15:24 AM »
Today's movie theme: Krull by James Horner.

Awesome score for a somewhat less awesome movie. 

I'm not sure if James Horner has lost his mojo in recent years... was there a single memorable theme in "Avatar"?

Captain America is outstanding!  Best comicbook movie of the year.  One of the best comicbook movies, ever! 

That sounds pretty good. :)

The POV shot looked much better on the big screen.  More exciting than people sitting down to dinner and talking or looking at each other in a lab someplace, etc.  Makes me fear the makers are shooting for 100% angst.   :icon_puke_l:

On the PC screen, the shot looked exactly like something from Mirror's Edge.
It comes off as somewhat unintentionally funny, like they're trying too hard to be "contemporary" (them kids of today like video games, don't they?).

I hope they don't overplay the teen angst angle. Like Superman, Spider-Man needs a brighter, more positive vibe. Leave the darkness to Batman.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #397 on: July 29, 2011, 11:16:01 AM »
The Captain America movie does look interesting, unlike the last X-Men movie. Don't know the star of this one either. I'll be buying Thor soon to see how that went. Don't know the guy who played Thor either.

I guess there are now enough origins movie for the Avengers movie to be made now. Didn't it have the Hulk, Nick Fury, Iron Man, Thor and Captain America? Maybe the Fantastic Four? I don't remember.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #398 on: July 30, 2011, 07:15:24 PM »
Avengers is already in production. It comes out next July (2012).

If you stay through the credits after Captain America you will see a teaser trailer for Avengers.

This version of Avengers is based on the Ultimates version. Though no Hank Pym and Janet van Dyne ... I am saddened. It will have Nick Fury, Maria Hill, Agent Coulson from SHIELD, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Hawkeye and Black Widow (from SHIELD but on the team).

If you really want a great Avengers thing now, stream the Avengers cartoon series (2010) from Netflix. It is all kinds of awesome.

Offline hans

« Reply #399 on: July 30, 2011, 08:02:41 PM »
The Captain America movie does look interesting, unlike the last X-Men movie. Don't know the star of this one either.

Cap is played with wonderful dignity and sincerity by Chris Evans, who also played the Human Torch, Johnny Storm, in the two Fantastic Four movies.  After seeing his performance as Captain America, I forgive him for Johnny Storm.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #400 on: July 31, 2011, 01:24:14 AM »
This version of Avengers is based on the Ultimates version. Though no Hank Pym and Janet van Dyne ... I am saddened. It will have Nick Fury, Maria Hill, Agent Coulson from SHIELD, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Hulk, Hawkeye and Black Widow (from SHIELD but on the team).

The Hulk is part of the Avengers team?
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #401 on: July 31, 2011, 04:56:08 PM »
Great movie theme for today: Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid by Miklós Rózsa.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #402 on: August 01, 2011, 03:57:13 PM »
The Hulk is part of the Avengers team?

Yes.

In the early Avengers comics, Hulk is both part of and battles against the Avengers. The original team consisted of Ant-Man, Wasp, Iron Man, Thor, and Hulk. Loki tricks Hulk into attacking something hoping to get Thor and Hulk to fight, then the others respond as well. They figure out Hulk was tricked and band together to defeat Loki.

Loki is definitely going to be in the Avengers movie, so I suspect Hulk will wind up fighting them similarly before "joining" them.

Anyhow, in comic continuity, Hulk leaves the team (issue 2 or 3) because he feels the others distrust him. They sorta kinda fight again and wind up finding Captain America in the ice (via Namor's help). Cap joins the team then.

Sp, technically, Hulk was an Avenger, if only for a short time.

Offline hans

« Reply #403 on: August 01, 2011, 07:05:37 PM »
--"Let Hulk join, or Hulk S M A S H ! "

--"Welcome to the Avengers!"

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #404 on: August 04, 2011, 07:47:53 AM »
I wonder how (and if) they manage to give each character enough to do while at the same time telling a good story. We'll see.
The Watchmen movie handled a similar number of characters well, but it needed almost three hours for that.
Released designs:

The Sect