Author Topic: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.  (Read 103529 times)

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Re: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.
« Reply #360 on: June 16, 2011, 03:05:43 AM »
Interestingly, there was a X-Men: First Class comic series which featured the original X-Men lineup: Angel (guy with wings), Beast, Cyclops, Iceman, Jean Grey, and Professor X.

They must have excluded some of the more well-known characters to gain more time to develop the Xavier/Magneto relationship. So they replaced Cyclops with nondescript-guy-who-shoots-lasers-out-of-his-stomach-instead-of-his-eyes, and so on.

And they killed off the most interesting of the new characters (Darwin) first.

But these are minor complaints. Overall, the movie was quite good.

Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #361 on: June 16, 2011, 01:43:33 PM »
The movie X-Men: First Class is in a different continuity from the other X-Men films. As evidence of this:

1) It takes place in 1962.
2) The first class of students are not the traditional X-Men (Beast, Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Angel, and Iceman),
but are instead: Beast, Havok, Tempest, Banshee, Mystique, and Darwin.
3) Stan Lee does not make a cameo in the movie.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #362 on: June 16, 2011, 02:14:33 PM »
!!! SPOILER ALERT !!!

According to the imdb FAQ, X-Men: First Class is indeed conceived as a "reboot" of the series.

But if this is the case, then I don't know what Hugh Jackman is doing in the movie, or how they will continue the series with or without him, and how all of this relates to the Wolverine origin movie. Do they have two separate timelines for X-Men origin stories now?

Here are the interesting bits from the FAQ:

Is "First Class" a prequel or reboot?

It's both actually. First Class goes back to 1962, to a time before Charles Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr took the names Professor X and Magneto, making it a prequel in the X-Men franchise. However, there are changes in continuity because, as director Matthew Vaughn explains it, we "were trying to reboot and start a whole new X-Men franchise and therefore, making a film work on its own two feet was far more important than trying to be referential to the prior movies." [Source]. In short, First Class is an attempt to take the characters back to an earlier period (a prequel) from which future movies can be rebooted.

What are the differences with the other films?

In X2, Hank McCoy appears in human form. In First Class, he goes through his transformation,.

In X2, Sebastian Shaw is speaking with McCoy on television. In First Class, he is killed by Magneto.

In X2, Xavier says he worked with Magneto to build Cerebro, while in First Class Hank McCoy builds it.

In X-Men, Xavier doesn't know why he can't find Magneto using Cerebro, but in First Class Xavier witnesses the effects of the helmet Magneto wears, though the helmets are different designs.

In The Last Stand and Wolverine, Xavier is bald and walking, whereas at the end of First Class Xavier is wheelchair bound.

In The Last Stand, Moira MacTaggert is portrayed as being a British Doctor while in First Class she is an American CIA agent.

Storm and Cyclops appear as children when Charles uses Cerebro for the first time in 1962. Both mutants are children, which would place their adult selves in the first film at older than they actually were.

In the opening of of The Last Stand, Eric and Xavier are working together to recruit Jean Grey in the 1980s or 1990s.

Emma Frost appears as a teenager in Wolverine, in 1979. However in this film set two decades earlier she is a full grown adult.

In the first X-Men movie, Professor X tells Logan that he met Erik Lehnsherr when he was 17 years old. Although there is a difference of 18 years between 1944 and 1962, it is clear that Charles and Erik were born before 1944 as they were both depicted as young boys at that time in First Class. According to First Class, they met for the first time in their mid-20s in 1962.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 02:18:56 PM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #363 on: June 16, 2011, 02:51:54 PM »
Do they have two separate timelines for X-Men origin stories now?

More likely 3, if the producers get their wish.  You've got the First Class timeline, the Wolverine spin-off timeline, and the original trilogy timeline.  The Wolverine sequel is in the works.  The producers also want a new, modern-day X-Men to take up from where the original trilogy left off.  And, with a decent box-office, and more-than-decent reviews, there ought to be a sequel to First Class. 

Additionally, besides Wolverine, there was hope to have other X-Men Origins movies focusing on individual members, so, possibly 4, or more, timelines (or continuities) in the future.   
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 03:13:39 PM by hans »

Offline hans

« Reply #364 on: June 16, 2011, 03:12:36 PM »
You want to see a fantastic movie that looks fantastic in 3D? Go see Kung Fu Panda 2.

I just saw it today (after waiting a couple of weeks for the moppets to subside).  Very well done!  I think I like it better than the original.  I was impressed at how fast they kept things moving! 

As I was watching the stylized closing credits, I thought to myself "I should do another OA mod, soon."  I love the genre, and the way it so easily lends itself to poetic and philosophical colorings.  However, I've got several other projects that have been waiting forever for me to finish Rocco Taku's SHUA project.  And I figure that's going to take at least the rest of the year to finish!  Oofdah! 

I was also thinking that the movie was quite like a hengeyokais-only story.  When I have incorporated one those animal races into my mods, before, they were fairly singular and rare.  I wonder if I could think of a story that would showcase a wider variety in key roles...

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #365 on: June 18, 2011, 04:31:14 AM »
Wow, the reviews for the Green Lantern movie are pretty bad.

Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #366 on: June 20, 2011, 08:32:10 PM »
If you were wondering about what sorts of things Wonder Woman thinks about:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0G2pyNJmXCE/TXJkoGas8rI/AAAAAAAADMM/oluJwz-AslE/s1600/WW+wtf.jpg

Offline hans

« Reply #367 on: June 21, 2011, 03:05:16 PM »
Wow, the reviews for the Green Lantern movie are pretty bad.

I think that the critics are biased against giving a third comicbook movie in a row a positive review.   >:(

I saw Green Lantern this morning (in 3D).  It's very good! 

Better than Thor.  It feels bigger.  The action is better.  The sfx are better.  Although less prominent, it also contains themes of father & son, responsibility & approval issues, but done better.  The love story subplot is worlds better, and felt very real.

It's not quite as good as X-Men: First Class, IMO, but is more accessible and family friendly.  The plot, the background & rules of its galactic organization are presented very clearly.

Plus, it's more faithful to the comicbook than either of those two films. 

The criticisms in many of the reviews I've now read are baseless and bogus.  I wonder if they saw the same movie I did... 

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #368 on: June 21, 2011, 03:08:43 PM »
I want to see the GL movie more than I want to see Thor, so I'm relieved that you liked it, hans. Based on the reviews, I was afraid that this was going to be another "Catwoman".
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #369 on: June 21, 2011, 07:46:34 PM »
I, too, liked Green Lantern. For much of the same reasons you cited, hans.

I do feel the whole green=will, yellow=fear was beaten into the audience a few too many times. After the third or fourth time ... I GET IT!

I also feel more could have done with Hector Hammond. Mainly in the resolution of his plot thread.

The whole father/child theme was pervasive throughout the entire movie, however:

Hal & Dad
Carol & Dad
Hammond & Dad
Sinestro & the Guardians

Offline hans

« Reply #370 on: June 21, 2011, 10:55:35 PM »
Speaking of Green Lantern, I'm pretty sure there's some sorta subtext going on in this comicbook panel, buuuuut I just can't put my finger on it...

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2010/12/cry-for-justice-supergirl.jpg

Offline hans

« Reply #371 on: June 22, 2011, 02:40:17 PM »
...I was afraid that this was going to be another "Catwoman".

I couldn't sit through more than a few minutes of that movie.  Was there anything related to the comics in it, at all? 

I also bailed on the Supergirl movie, lo, those many years ago. 

I'm not predjudiced against superheroine movies (my favorite is HK's The Heroic Trio), but making a good one just seems beyond the talents of Hollywood.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #372 on: June 22, 2011, 03:28:26 PM »
Wasn't there a plan to make a "Wonder Woman" movie?

I wonder why DC is so far behind Marvel when it comes to movie adaptations. Sure, they have the Batman franchise, which is the best of them all, but there seem to be problems with all the other properties.

Let's hope the Zack Snyder Superman will turn out great.

I'd really like to see a big-budget Green Arrow movie, though I doubt that's ever going to happen.

Inspiration of the day: http://dearphotograph.com/

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 03:31:02 PM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #373 on: June 22, 2011, 10:08:28 PM »
I'm not predjudiced against superheroine movies (my favorite is HK's The Heroic Trio), but making a good one just seems beyond the talents of Hollywood.

That reference may have been very obscure for some folks, so here's a music video of The Heroic Trio's theme song with clips from both their movies: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK25g6DZm3Y

Offline hans

« Reply #374 on: June 22, 2011, 10:44:49 PM »
Wasn't there a plan to make a "Wonder Woman" movie?

Wonder Woman was in production for NBC as a new series, quite recently, but was cancelled in May.  Invisible jet or glass ceiling, you be the judge...!  :P 

Fanboys, from what I've heard, strenuously objected to her new "pants" look.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeWi7j0aitU&NR=1&feature=fvwp