Author Topic: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.  (Read 103889 times)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
Re: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.
« Reply #345 on: June 11, 2011, 01:27:35 PM »
But to get someone to go see such a movie they need to recognize the main actors.

Depends on that someone.  ;)

Just because actors are still unknown doesn't necessarily mean they're bad actors. I actually think it's refreshing to see a few new faces now and then, and personally I often find it more reliable to check who's the director and who's the screenwriter when I want to determine if a movie might be my cup of tea. Besides, I think first and foremost people go to watch X-Men movies because they're interested in superhero comics and movies, not because they're fans of Hugh Jackman.   :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 01:29:27 PM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline hans

« Reply #346 on: June 11, 2011, 03:08:51 PM »
I was very intriqued by First Class's take on the younger Xavier & Magneto.  The film ends at turning points in both their lives, and I'd really like to see a sequel by all the responsible parties, to see their collective vision for those next steps...   
:happy1:

Offline hans

« Reply #347 on: June 12, 2011, 10:37:34 PM »
I would hardly call James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender "unknowns".

McAvoy starred in "Wanted" and the Oscar-nominated "Atonement", and Fassbender's career is on the rise since "Inglourious Basterds", where he gave a knockout performance.

It's funny, I'd seen both Wanted & Inglourious but didn't recognize either guy.  In my defense, it'd been awhile (okay, so I wouldn't recognize Superman if he wore Clark Kent glasses). :P  Plus, I hadn't read much press on the new X movie before seeing it.  McAvoy looked about the same, but his actor's aura had changed radically from moderately-geeky-assassin-in-training to confident scholar. 

Wanted was so ultra-stylish, it almost covered up its weaknesses, but still a pretty good movie.  It was soooooooo much better than the Mark Millar comicbook.  I'm not a real big fan of Millar.  Kick@ss was a much better movie than comicbook, too.  It seems like he has good, interesting ideas but fails to invest them with real heart or depth.  Fortunately, the screen writers have done a good job in adding it, so far, but I wonder of future adaptations of his work will manage as well... 

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #348 on: June 13, 2011, 08:34:07 AM »
I'm going to watch "X-Men: First Class" tomorrow. But I forgot to check if it's in 3D.

hans, you've seen it, is the film in 3D?

If yes, I'm going to make me a pair of 2D glasses beforehand.  8)
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #349 on: June 13, 2011, 12:53:04 PM »
I dunno if it is available in 3D, but just go see in it a regular 2D showing.

You want to see a fantastic movie that looks fantastic in 3D? Go see Kung Fu Panda 2.

Oh, if you are ever in a 2D movie and you see TWO projector beams coming out of the booth ... complain. It means that for whatever reason the projectionist left on the 3D filter. You get the 2D experience, but with all the wonderful color loss and darkening you would experience in a 3D showing. (This is common, but only in smaller theaters that do not have dedicated 3D and 2D auditoriums.)

Offline hans

« Reply #350 on: June 13, 2011, 03:53:18 PM »

Nope.  Maybe it would be doing a bit better if it were, as 3D seems to be in such vogue these days. 

It's not doing bad (http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=xmenfirstclass.htm), but I know that movie mogols get nervous real easy...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:01:07 PM by hans »

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #351 on: June 13, 2011, 06:32:47 PM »
The last movie I saw in a theater was either Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Matrix Reloaded (or whatever the third one is called), or Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. I just buy them on 2-disc sets when they come out now. It's 46 miles to the nearest theater from here.

Offline hans

« Reply #352 on: June 13, 2011, 10:25:55 PM »
The last movie I saw in a theater was either Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Matrix Reloaded (or whatever the third one is called), or Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. I just buy them on 2-disc sets when they come out now. It's 46 miles to the nearest theater from here.

Although I try to avoid the crowded showings, I love  :love7: the movie theater experience. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:29:06 PM by hans »

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #353 on: June 14, 2011, 03:13:35 AM »
Glad to hear that X-Men is not in 3D.

Oh, if you are ever in a 2D movie and you see TWO projector beams coming out of the booth ... complain. It means that for whatever reason the projectionist left on the 3D filter. You get the 2D experience, but with all the wonderful color loss and darkening you would experience in a 3D showing. (This is common, but only in smaller theaters that do not have dedicated 3D and 2D auditoriums.)

Yes, I've read about that too, at Roger Ebert's blog.

The light and color loss are among the reasons I don't want to pay extra for 3D.

To me, 3D means paying more for inferior product. The picture looks desaturated, dim and blurry, the presentation has nothing to do with the way the human eye sees, and it adds nothing to the story. You can show a 3D movie in 2D and nothing about the plot is lost.

Plus, the glasses are annoying and it gives me headaches.

If more venues start showing 2D movies with dim 3D-lenses out of pure lazyness, there won't be a reason to go to the movie theater anymore.

I recently watched John Carpenter's The Thing on Blu-Ray on a widescreen TV, and the movie has looked better than it probably ever has in theaters.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 03:16:22 AM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #354 on: June 14, 2011, 05:04:47 AM »

Nope. 

Great, then I can enjoy it, too!  :P
I didn't know it's already shown in theaters over here, thanks for the heads up, Ben J!

Although I try to avoid the crowded showings, I love  :love7: the movie theater experience. 

Ditto.  :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 05:06:39 AM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #355 on: June 14, 2011, 04:04:50 PM »
I saw X-Men: First Class today in good old 2D with a nice, clear picture and vivid colors, and it was pretty good.  :)

I predict a bright future for Mr Fassbender.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #356 on: June 15, 2011, 10:11:37 AM »

Hee you can learn a lot about yourself and where you fit into the spectrum of individual taste when attending a full theatre review.

I laugh inappropriately, am solemn when some of the crowd is roaring, and fall asleep easily during any screening of 'Fantasia'.

Offline hans

« Reply #357 on: June 15, 2011, 01:57:40 PM »
I laugh inappropriately, am solemn when some of the crowd is roaring, and fall asleep easily during any screening of 'Fantasia'.

Fantasia is one of my all--time favorite movies. 
I have shed tears over the sheer beauty of the animation.   :tearyeyed: 

Art is interactive.  An audience connects with it in their own unique way.    ;)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 02:02:57 PM by hans »

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #358 on: June 15, 2011, 03:26:53 PM »
The only thing that I wasn't thrilled about in X-Men: First Class were the mutant powers (besides Xavier and Magneto, of course).

After four movies, the powers begin to repeat themselves. The red demon guy was basically a red version of Nightcrawler, the whirlwind guy had the powers of Storm, Havok was a cross between Pyro and Cyclops, the Angel character had insect wings instead of bird wings, there was another telepath, etc.

I'm not that familiar with the X-Men backstory, but shouldn't Jean Grey and Cyclops be among the first recruited X-Men?

Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #359 on: June 15, 2011, 05:53:51 PM »
WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS or even SPOILED POSSUMS!

The only thing that I wasn't thrilled about in X-Men: First Class were the mutant powers (besides Xavier and Magneto, of course).

After four movies, the powers begin to repeat themselves. The red demon guy was basically a red version of Nightcrawler, the whirlwind guy had the powers of Storm, Havok was a cross between Pyro and Cyclops, the Angel character had insect wings instead of bird wings, there was another telepath, etc.

I'm not that familiar with the X-Men backstory, but shouldn't Jean Grey and Cyclops be among the first recruited X-Men?

<select text for easier reading>

I'm not fully up on current X-comics lore, but I'm guessing the "red demon guy" does the nasty with Mystique and their baby is Nightcrawler.  Havok is Cyclops' older brother (that much was established in the comics waaaaay back when I was but a teen).  <edit: I misspoke -- in the comics Havok was the younger brother of Cyke, so movie must've switched their birth order.>  I had never heard of the whirlwind guy or the dragonfly girl before this movie.  The power similarities didn't bother me, but I did particularly appreciate the new ones, like Banshee. 

I tried not to think about the math too much.  The Cuban Missile Crisis was 1962, while X-men was a 2000 release & X-men: the Last Stand was 2006.  Since they showed Storm (in Cerebro cameo) as a kid in First Class, that would mean that she was over 40 in the first film, and maybe pushing 50 in Last Stand.  Figure Jean & Cyclops would be at least as old.  They looked pretty good for their ages!  <edit: Halle was born in 1966, so I guess the age difference isn't that much of a stretch...>

As to continuity between the films, it's clearly been bent some (which is fine with me).  Magneto we found out did not help Prof. X build Cerebro (which was a pivotal plot point in X2), but all the credit should rightfully go to Beast.  But, so what?  I'm no more concerned with continuity in the X films as I am with the Bond or Apes movies of the past.  Just as long as the film is consistent with itself, and is a good film.  And X-men: First Class was X-cellent! 
  :headbang:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:04:54 PM by hans »