Author Topic: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.  (Read 103597 times)

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Re: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.
« Reply #330 on: June 03, 2011, 02:56:00 AM »
My wife and I both thought that POTC 3 was a complete mess - that's why we passed on the opportunity to watch part 4 in the cinema.

Maybe we should change our minds?

As I was watching the new POTC, I admired the fact that they treat their action scenes (chases & fights) like show-stopper production numbers, well worth an investment of time to let them build, dazzle, surprise, & delight an audience, instead of always insisting that the plot needs to move faster (POTC 4 clocks in at over 2 hours).

The insistence on plot and little else is what's hurting many movies today.

If "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" came out today, the whole climax would probably be cut to a few seconds (and the camera would shake around wildly, to make up for the lack of external action).
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #331 on: June 03, 2011, 03:14:32 PM »
My wife and I both thought that POTC 3 was a complete mess - that's why we passed on the opportunity to watch part 4 in the cinema.

Maybe we should change our minds?

It harks back to the first of the series by moving in, essentially, one direction, rather than firing a broadside of competing subplots.  Moreover, it floats more charm than angst.  Plenty of fun, although few critics will likely say it's as good as the first. 

A superior film, which I just saw today, is X-Men: First ClassThor & POTC 4 were both good fun, and I enjoyed them a lot, but the new X is truly excellent.  (BTW, it also clocks in at over 2 hours.)

The insistence on plot and little else is what's hurting many movies today.

If "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" came out today, the whole climax would probably be cut to a few seconds (and the camera would shake around wildly, to make up for the lack of external action).

Great example!   :D

Offline hans

« Reply #332 on: June 03, 2011, 10:22:36 PM »
Speaking of Pirates of the Caribbean and composers, here are several of my favorite non-POTC pieces by Hans Zimmer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AISphWueZdI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naovSOqgkJE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgRVJksQocM&feature=related

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #333 on: June 04, 2011, 02:11:24 AM »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #334 on: June 06, 2011, 12:58:04 PM »
Just watched 'Hurcules in the Haunted World'.  Mr. Bava's main character was the lustrous and phantastic backgrounds of the various locations and scenes.

Awesomely entertaining.

Offline hans

« Reply #335 on: June 06, 2011, 06:49:14 PM »
Just watched 'Hurcules in the Haunted World'.  Mr. Bava's main character was the lustrous and phantastic backgrounds of the various locations and scenes.

Awesomely entertaining.

It's amazing what Bava was able to do on, usually, a shoe-string budget in his films.  My favorite Bava is Danger: Diabolik for which he did some amazing-looking, but cheap, camera shots. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_rgxec6ezs 

I'm a big fan of peplum (the old, Italian muscle-man movies), but I wish I could go back in time and see them on a big, theater screen, the way they were meant to be seen.  So much grandeur and spectacle is lost in shrinking some of these movies down...   :-\

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #336 on: June 06, 2011, 10:16:45 PM »
A superior film, which I just saw today, is X-Men: First ClassThor & POTC 4 were both good fun, and I enjoyed them a lot, but the new X is truly excellent.  (BTW, it also clocks in at over 2 hours.)

I agree with hans that X-Men: First Class is a good movie.

It has well-written dialogue and a plot, which is rare for an action movie. It is also a chance to give some love to some of the mutants who were left out of Bryan Singer's first 2 films.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #337 on: June 07, 2011, 02:41:11 PM »
I'm a big fan of peplum (the old, Italian muscle-man movies), but I wish I could go back in time and see them on a big, theater screen, the way they were meant to be seen.  So much grandeur and spectacle is lost in shrinking some of these movies down...   :-\

Oh I so completely agree.  I recently got to view Alejandro Jodorowsky's (original format) El Topo and The Holy Mountain.  I can only imagine what the experience must have been like back during the time of their release, and viewing these on a huge screen.  The movie-going experience nowadays seems so much different and for so many reasons.

Offline hans

« Reply #338 on: June 09, 2011, 12:01:31 AM »
I agree with hans that X-Men: First Class is a good movie.

It has well-written dialogue and a plot, which is rare for an action movie. It is also a chance to give some love to some of the mutants who were left out of Bryan Singer's first 2 films.

It's a rare film that I spend extra money on to see twice in the theaters, but I went again this morning.  Two different people in the audience, at two different points in the movie called what they were seeing "awesome."

Alas, despite critics' accolades, its box-office has, so far, been disappointing.  Even tho it was no.1 in its opening weekend, with $56 million, that's a slow start compared to the other Xs:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/06/movie-projector-x-men-first-class-hangover-part-ii.html

It's a pity, since IMO this one rivals X2 as the best of the series.  X3 was good, but not great, while X-Men Origins: Wolverine was somewhat of a mess.  If this new one, at the end of the day, is considered a bust, it's a travesty of justice.

Offline GoldBoxFan

• "We need more cowbell."
« Reply #339 on: June 10, 2011, 12:46:42 PM »
Everyone says the X-Men movie is good, but the trailer and previews don't inspire me. I don't know anyone in the movie at all. Having two iconic characters played by unknowns was a really bad idea.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #340 on: June 10, 2011, 02:03:44 PM »
I would hardly call James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender "unknowns".

McAvoy starred in "Wanted" and the Oscar-nominated "Atonement", and Fassbender's career is on the rise since "Inglourious Basterds", where he gave a knockout performance.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 02:39:40 PM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #341 on: June 10, 2011, 02:48:04 PM »
Everyone says the X-Men movie is good, but the trailer and previews don't inspire me. I don't know anyone in the movie at all. Having two iconic characters played by unknowns was a really bad idea.

Some analysts have said fewer folks are going to see it because of a lack of Hugh Jackman, which I might be more inclined to believe had more of them gone to Van Helsing. :P

After the last two X movies, I wasn't anticipating too much, either.  As my previous comments indicate, however, I was blown away.
:tongue9: 

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #342 on: June 10, 2011, 10:52:07 PM »
I would hardly call James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender "unknowns".

McAvoy starred in "Wanted" and the Oscar-nominated "Atonement", and Fassbender's career is on the rise since "Inglourious Basterds", where he gave a knockout performance.
Just bought Wanted last month. Didn't recognize him. Didn't watch Inglorious. Seemed such a silly idea.

They just aren't royal shakespearean actor material. Not anyone can be Magneto and Professor Xavier. It's like the remade Superman. Who played him anyway? Or Lois Lane? I saw it but can't remember.

Offline hans

« Reply #343 on: June 10, 2011, 11:43:53 PM »
They just aren't royal shakespearean actor material. Not anyone can be Magneto and Professor Xavier.

If you see the movie, I think you'll be very impressed by their acting chops.   :D

Offline GoldBoxFan

« Reply #344 on: June 11, 2011, 12:25:11 PM »
They just aren't royal shakespearean actor material. Not anyone can be Magneto and Professor Xavier.

If you see the movie, I think you'll be very impressed by their acting chops.   :D
Very likely. But to get someone to go see such a movie they need to recognize the main actors.

anything