Author Topic: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.  (Read 103753 times)

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Re: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.
« Reply #135 on: October 20, 2010, 12:01:06 PM »
Different, but somewhat related topic: It will be interesting to see how the Coens will handle the theme of "children and violence" in their upcoming remake of True Grit.

I'm not sure why the Coen Brothers, who are among the few truly original voices in Hollywood, have to play the remake game like everybody else. Given that "The Ladykillers" was their worst movie, I'm a bit sceptical.
On the other hand, it stars Jeff Bridges and the trailer looks really good.

BTW, RED is a very good comicbook movie, tho non-superhero, of course.     

I've seen the trailer and found it to be funny, and then I saw that Helen Mirren is in it, and now I have to see it.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #136 on: October 20, 2010, 03:32:08 PM »
True Grit does look good, but it also looks like it's going to hit the same major beats as the original.  I'll certainly go to see it, tho.  I bemoan the fact that Westerns have been out of favor with movie-goers for a generation, now.  (Randolph Scott is one of my all-time favorite actors.)  Someday I must do Wild West UA mod, should I live long enough...

Offline hans

« Reply #137 on: October 20, 2010, 07:58:46 PM »
Speaking of "children & violence," kids & teens being put into harm's way and often, then, receiving and/or commiting violent acts has a long history in comics.  I could talk about Robin and the plethora of kid sidekicks he inspired, but let me quickly focus on Bucky Barnes, since I fear that the upcoming Captain America movie will miss his importance (if not his entire character).

40's comics had Bucky engaging in many violent acts, including firing machine guns at the enemy.  He was often in dire peril, rescued by Cap, who seemed to have no trouble with allowing Bucky to head back into harm's way, again.  When Stan Lee & Jack Kirby brought Captain America back in the 60's, it was in conjunction with the story of Bucky's tragic death (long before Jason Todd, and for which Cap blames himself).  I believe that this is key to understanding Cap's character and his thematic power. 

Returned to the context of the 60's, the attitude of America's youth was changing regarding the Vietnam War and war in general.  Cap shows this.  He's no longer the eager-beaver young man who volunteers for a super-serum experiment so that he can go to war.  His moral compass remains intact, but his psyche is scarred.  He's a soldier haunted by his war-time experiences, carrying a permanent wound in his soul.  Bucky can be seen as representing Cap's naive idealism, which died in the war.  Thus, the hero was no longer simply a one-dimensional flag-waver.  Stan & Jack had cannily (or uncannily) given him a new dimension.  This new tone for Captain America struck a responsive chord in America's older, high school & college-age comicbook-buying public. 

Will the new movie grasp this understanding of the character, we shall see, but I fear not...   :-\

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #138 on: October 21, 2010, 12:21:14 AM »
The Bucky Clause: "No one stays dead except Bucky, Jason Todd and Uncle Ben"

But then James "Bucky" Barnes was brought back to life, minus one arm. And then, more recently, Steve Rogers was killed, briefly (he's feeling much better now).

The Bucky Clause version 2.0: "No one stays dead."

Captain America is a complicated figure to bring to the screen. Should he be filled with patriotic fervor and go vanquish the enemies of the U.S.? Or should he be a moral compass in turbulent times, speaking out against injustice? For me, Captain America works best as a character when he is conflicted, and his personal sense of right and wrong is at odds with his call of duty.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #139 on: October 21, 2010, 04:02:49 AM »
Didn't they bring back Jason Todd as well?

That's the downside to having so many different writers working on the same series over the years. You can come up with really good storylines and motivations for your characters, but somewhere down the line, some writer will revisit them and screw them up.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #140 on: October 21, 2010, 06:06:02 AM »
That's the downside to having so many different writers working on the same series over the years. You can come up with really good storylines and motivations for your characters, but somewhere down the line, some writer will revisit them and screw them up.

Btw, any progress with Dark Alliance yet? Mwahahahaha!  ;D

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #141 on: October 21, 2010, 09:40:49 AM »
Btw, any progress with Dark Alliance yet? Mwahahahaha!  ;D

Yes, there has been great progress. I just recently came up with this great plotline where it's revealed that episodes I and II of the AT saga were just Navarre's dream.  ;D
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2010, 10:10:11 AM »
Yes, there has been great progress. I just recently came up with this great plotline where it's revealed that episodes I and II of the AT saga were just Navarre's dream.  ;D

What!? Wait till I kill him off in the last chapter, just for fun!  >:(
Or better yet, I'll also resurrect him again and in the end it is revealed he really is ^'s father. Wouldn't that be totally awesome?   ;D

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2010, 12:13:03 PM »

Or better yet, I'll also resurrect him again and in the end it is revealed he really is ^'s father. Wouldn't that be totally awesome?   ;D

Then I can kill him again and reincarnate him as Mahatma Gandhi!

No, wait, he's already done Gandhi.  :(
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline hans

« Reply #144 on: October 21, 2010, 08:15:38 PM »
Captain America is a complicated figure to bring to the screen. Should he be filled with patriotic fervor and go vanquish the enemies of the U.S.? Or should he be a moral compass in turbulent times, speaking out against injustice?

If I were going to write the Captain America movie...  ;D

First of all, I wouldn't abuse the opportunity by slanting the story to support either a right-wing or left-wing political agenda.  The character of Captain America should never be used to divide Americans.  That should have been editorial LAW at Marvel Comics from day one.  It only cheapens a true icon. 

For the plot, I'd use Hydra or AIM to illustrate, metaphorically (leaving Middle East politics entirely out of the picture), the changing face of war, from that of nations against nations in Cap's original time, to the more difficult challenges of a war on terror, today. 

I'd keep Cap's basic theme of loss of innocence thru war (as I previously discussed) and I'd also play up Cap's culture shock in stepping from the 40's to the 21st century.  I might pair him through part of the movie with a jaded Gen-Xer S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, contrasting Cap's "the greatest generation" traditional values against examples of modern cultural decay ("Don't their parents know what these kids are doing?!").  This could provide good opportunities for some social commentary in-between scenes of wild, Jack Kirby action. 

I could see myself writing, for example, a scene where some femme fatale, like Madame Hydra, tries to seduce Cap, and he has a brief flashback to a WW2-era, black & white, VD training film (like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxNrmf-VoSs), and he rebuffs her with some borderline-cornball statement, like "Not tonight, sister!" or "Lady, I don't even know you!"     

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #145 on: October 22, 2010, 12:12:32 AM »
Didn't they bring back Jason Todd as well?

Jason Todd is currently alive in the mainstream DC continuity. He is the second Red Hood.

Uncle Ben was brought back to life briefly in a recent issue of Amazing Spider-Man.

Thus the Bucky Clause version 2.0: "No one stays dead."

The only thing worse than having a writer screw up a character somewhere down the line is having a writer go back and retroactively fix what are perceived as being mistakes made by previous writers. Try to make sense of Supergirl's origin story. She's been the victim of both death and retconning.

Original Origin: Superman had a cousin who also survived the destruction of planet Krypton.

New and "improved" origin:  Superman had a cousin who also survived the destruction of planet Krypton, but she was killed and all memory that she ever existed was wiped out. She was then replaced by a protoplasmic being created by Lex Luthor invested with Lana Lang's memory which merged with the body of a human woman who is watched over by the guardian spirit of the long dead and forgotten Supergirl. Or, maybe, her memory of her own origin is all messed up because she suffered from Kryptonite poisoning and she really is Superman's cousin after all.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #146 on: October 22, 2010, 06:08:20 AM »

Not if I kill him first! Albeit the Bucky Clause might kick in. Did you read the AT notes that I sent you?  ;)

One thing is for sure: We shouldn't continue the Saga into directions where there is  the danger of adaptation decay.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #147 on: October 22, 2010, 08:15:19 AM »
Did you read the AT notes that I sent you?  ;)

Huh? Don't tell me I've got to check out any notes or even play the designs of previous authors in the series?! What for? I already know what I'm going to do with the characters, I don't need to get to know them first.  :P

Offline hans

« Reply #148 on: October 22, 2010, 07:37:23 PM »
New and "improved" origin:  Superman had a cousin who also survived the destruction of planet Krypton, but she was killed and all memory that she ever existed was wiped out. She was then replaced by a protoplasmic being created by Lex Luthor invested with Lana Lang's memory which merged with the body of a human woman who is watched over by the guardian spirit of the long dead and forgotten Supergirl. Or, maybe, her memory of her own origin is all messed up because she suffered from Kryptonite poisoning and she really is Superman's cousin after all.

See, yet another occassion that really requires for a vomitting emoticon...
 : (====== 

(Okay, it's a work-in-progress...)   :-[
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 09:54:42 PM by hans »

Offline hans

« Reply #149 on: October 22, 2010, 08:44:05 PM »
Halloween moods, again, this time from the incomparable Vic Mizzy: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3P_RXfOG_o

anything