Author Topic: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.  (Read 103529 times)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Re: Inspirations: Movies, Music, Websites etc.
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2010, 06:32:24 AM »
Here is James Rolfe's review of "Infra-Man"

Thank you so much for pointing me to this movie! And 50% of the monsters have horned helmets! That is so inspiring!!!!
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2010, 06:34:14 AM »
I hated Fincher's Alien 3, as well as his Se7en (I don't think he's gotten anymore of my money since those).

I don't care all that much for his other movies (especially not Panic Room), but Fight Club rules!  8) That's one excellent movie he made.

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2010, 06:36:26 AM »
I hated Fincher's Alien 3, as well as his Se7en (I don't think he's gotten anymore of my money since those).  Gimme Infra-Man, anyday!

Fincher has made some movies that I didn't particularly care for (Alien 3, Benjamin Button, Panic Room), but Seven, Fight Club and especially Zodiac are genuinely great movies. And from what I've seen, The Social Network could be another one.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2010, 04:15:18 PM »
I realize that I'm in the small minority regarding Se7en.  My biggest beef was how dumb the police detectives were in that film.  It was CSI-haven't-a-clue. 

Offline hans

« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2010, 04:29:25 PM »
Here's another really nice end credits sequence: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MqJ3iGBdOo&feature=related

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2010, 04:57:08 PM »
I realize that I'm in the small minority regarding Se7en.  My biggest beef was how dumb the police detectives were in that film.  It was CSI-haven't-a-clue.
Se7en was quite dumb in my opinion, last not least since the killer left his own scheme in the end and sacrificed the - obviously innocent - character played by Gwyneth Paltrow. Maybe that was a stylistic device...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2010, 05:07:37 PM »
Se7en was quite dumb in my opinion, last not least since the killer left his own scheme in the end and sacrificed the - obviously innocent - character played by Gwyneth Paltrow. Maybe that was a stylistic device... but too me, it seemed not convincing.

Offline snoop

« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2010, 02:21:21 PM »
I guess if the hero was called Mr. Smith, he would have said: "Not going to Washington today, eh Mr. Smith?"

Of if he was called Mr. Deeds, he would have said: "Not going to town today, eh Mr. Deeds?"

Yeah, yeah...

I guess I'm just a sucker for attempts to break the fourth wall...  :-\

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2010, 05:42:25 PM »
We watched "Kick-Ass" tonight, and I know that many people love that film, but I'm not sure about it...

The parts about the ordinary guy who dons a superhero outfit were enjoyable (even if the teen comedy sub-plot about the hero faking to be a girl's gay best friend made me squirm), but I found the whole affair with Big Daddy and Hit Girl to be seriously creepy. It's not enough that we get a 11-year-old girl saying stuff like "it's in the shape of a giant cock" or "I'm just fucking with you Daddy", at the end we can witness a grown man repeatedly kicking a little girl in the face, slamming her into a table, etc. Not really my idea of fun.

Also, Nicolas Cage looked like a sad sack, both in and out of costume. I didn't buy him as a "real" superhero. Maybe that was the point, but looking at a panel from the original comic, I don't think that it was the point.

Now while I didn't hate the film, I can't say I loved it either.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 05:44:59 PM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline hans

« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2010, 06:38:39 PM »
We watched "Kick-Ass" tonight, and I know that many people love that film, but I'm not sure about it...

I thought it was great, even tho it has a title neither I, nor the ticket guy, could say out loud.   :P 

Besides being full of suprises, laughs, & thrills, it presents a chance to look at the psychology of superheroes, --the drives, problems, and maladjustments. 

Hit-Girl is particularly interesting to examine. 

Her sailor talk can be seen as an attempt to act tough (as if she needed to), overcompensating for the fact that she's a little, 11 or is it 13-year-old girl.  Or is there something deeper prompting her verbal vulgarities?  Her dad never swears... 

More interesting is to meditate on how she perceives herself, and her relationship to her dad, and her world (if, in fact, those subjects are not linked to the above).  She clearly knows of the outside world, it's value systems, and cultural norms (evidenced by the fact that she's picked up swearing someplace, knows what normal little girls like, and freely surfs the internet). 

My thought is that she has come to realize that her dad is, mentally, damaged goods.  He's no longer all there.  Yet, she loves him, and humors his superhero psychosis (even if she also enjoys it) because it allows them bond.  She probably doesn't think there'll be a happy ending for them, but rather they'll go out in a blaze of glory, yet she prefers that to losing him to a mental institution.  A big reason I think this, is because her last words to him in the movie seem to have reversed the parent/child relationship.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 06:40:27 PM by hans »

Offline hans

« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
BTW, as I once said, the best music cue from the movie is this song;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS8RVkaIM9c&feature=related

--but played thusly: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flMS2gHFOH0 

I always preferred the Dickies' version of Gigantor to the original toon, too: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlhQi1a0CXo&feature=more_related
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 07:45:51 PM by hans »

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2010, 07:55:16 PM »

*SPOILERS*

I'm of two minds about Kick Ass, too, but maybe for different reasons. I think it looks great, the soundtrack is cool and I enjoyed most of the movie but my big issue with it is that it's pretty inconsequential and the ending was a huge disappointment, for me it ruined everything that seemed interesting about the story. I don't know if that's supposed to be clever if you first pretend to show superhero stories from an anti-heroic, more realistic point of view just to trash the whole concept for a happy Hollywood ending... I don't get it.

Big Daddy and Hit Girl are not portrayed as heroes in the movie, they're freaking psychopaths on a revenge trip so excessive that you'd almost sympathize with the "bad" guys (but you don't because they're too stereotypical to feel anything for them). Kick-Ass is a jerk living in his own fantasy world, never asks questions and therefor doesn't really get it and becomes a more or less willing pawn in their game, until his girlfriend (the only positive character in the movie) opens his eyes to the real world and values in life. So far, so good. I actually liked it.

The rest of the movie consists of showdown action scenes that are a feast to the eyes and at the same time extremely disturbing - personally I felt most uneasy watching the underage gun freak on the rescue mission for her father, presented in a way as if she was playing a 3D-shooter. Conjures up some very ugly associations...

Fast forward: After Hit Girl has taken her revenge with Kick Ass' help it's suddenly as if they're the greatest superheroes ever and everyone lives happily ever after. I'm sure Kick Ass' girlfriend is very thankful that he chose not to listen to her and instead chase his fantasies and risk his life, well, because it was for a good cause, wasn't it? Just like the time Hit Girl slaughtered her friend because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong people. And how good for Hit Girl that she can go to a normal school now, I bet her classmates and teachers will welcome her with open arms - just pray that noone at school will ever piss her off... That totally creeped me out and I didn't understand how and why the movie could make such a U-turn at the end.

To a smaller degree I had similar issues with Watchmen and in both cases I can't tell if it's the fault of the comics or the movie scripts but if the ending of Kick Ass is supposed to be ironic I think the director didn't do a good job to convey that. Why make a movie (or comic) that has all the pretence of deconstructing the superhero genre and give more depth to it when you don't really want to go there in the end?

Don't get me wrong, I actually like revenge movies. Some of my favorite movies are. I'm also not one to cry outrage if there's violence and amorality on the screen. And like I said, I enjoyed large parts of Kick Ass, from a visual standpoint even the showdown was awesome. But I've got a problem with apologetic attempts to downplay violence and amorality and pass them off as heroic and good. There's a big difference between revenge movies and the superhero genre and it seems to me Kick Ass just couldn't decide what it wanted to be. It was one of the most interesting movies I saw this year but I still feel it could have been a lot more interesting and profound if not for that stupid ending. Now the movie's thought-provoking only because the second part of the script is so controversial. :-\   

Besides being full of suprises, laughs, & thrills, it presents a chance to look at the psychology of superheroes, --the drives, problems, and maladjustments. 

I agree with the first part and I also see the tendency of the the latter, I just didn't really buy it at the end. Besides, for me Big Daddy and Hit Girl are not really superheroes and Kick Ass is a greater jerk at the end of the movie than he was at the start. He developed and matured a bit but then chose that maturity is not for him - after all he's a superhero! :P
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 08:03:58 PM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline hans

« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2010, 09:08:48 PM »
*MORE SPOILERS*

Even your negative comments, Olivier, indicate that Kick-@ss contains a thematic depth and complexity absent in most other superhero movies.  We judge most other superhero movies on fairly superficial elements, and how well, or poorly, those were done (sfx, fight scenes, etc.).  Kick-@ss, like Watchmen, and perhaps a lesser degree, the X-Men movies, demand discussions of character arcs, moral perspectives, and other more cerebral dramatic elements. 

I propose that the ending had to veer closer toward the superheroic archetypes than the beginning.  Thematically, it continues the titular protagonist's allegory to an addict, immersing him fully into the fantasy elements he'd been craving, even if they have an ironic or pernicious edge.  He must become trapped by his addiction, then he must confront and defeat it (or completely lose himself to it -- whichever way you wish to interpret the film on that level). 

Besides which, it would be impossible to continue a fully realistic examination of a costumed "hero" without it quickly becoming just pathetically sad.  (Also, John Ritter already did it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75EXgcE3EMs --a movie that became increasingly unwatchable as it went on.) 

KA's ending, as well, had to complete the Hit-Girl arc, which I think it did fabulously in the scene where she's being flown over the city, as if by an angel, creating a perfect, visual emotional catharsis for giving closure her relationship with her dad.   

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2010, 02:42:53 AM »
Also, Nicolas Cage looked like a sad sack, both in and out of costume.

Nicolas Cage always looks like a sad sack. He's Nicolas Cage.
Sells a lot of tickets, though.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2010, 03:46:58 AM »
Nicolas Cage always looks like a sad sack. He's Nicolas Cage.

Yes, but it doesn't always work for the roles he's portraying. In "Adaptation" he was brilliant as a sad sack. In "Kick-Ass" he was miscast, imho.

But I haven't given up on him. Next up I'll watch "Bad Lieutenant", that should be a role more suited to him, plus it's a Werner Herzog film.

I will stay the hell away from "Drive Angry 3D", though.
Released designs:

The Sect

anything