Poll

How would you describe your relation to Unlimited Adventures nowadays?

I like UA and/or the community but I'm mostly a lurker on the mailing list / forum these days.
14 (7.4%)
I'm an occasional (or even avid) player.
17 (8.9%)
I consider myself a designer (regardless of any release).
19 (10%)
I'm an artist or mostly preoccupied with importing cool graphics.
7 (3.7%)
I'm a hacker or programmer.
2 (1.1%)
I'm a supporter of the community but personally I'm not really interested in playing UA designs anymore.
2 (1.1%)
I'd gladly play UA designs but I lack the time to do so.
4 (2.1%)
I'd gladly play UA designs but I can't get the game to work on my computer.
1 (0.5%)
I'm interested in all kinds of new designs.
10 (5.3%)
I'm interested in new designs but I am / I have to be quite selective of which to play.
11 (5.8%)
Give me something new, new settings, new experiments, things I've never seen before!
4 (2.1%)
I prefer classic material.
7 (3.7%)
Generally I prefer mini-mods.
4 (2.1%)
Generally I prefer epics (or rather long and huge designs).
9 (4.7%)
I like series (of mini-mods) and/or campaigns.
10 (5.3%)
I'm working on a design right now (or from time to time).
11 (5.8%)
I'd love to create a design but I need help with the editor, graphics and/or hacks.
3 (1.6%)
I'd love to create a design but I can't think of a good plot.
3 (1.6%)
I prefer to follow my own ideas, think up my own stories and settings, without limitation.
9 (4.7%)
I'd gladly take part in a Designers Challenge.
4 (2.1%)
I'd gladly take part in another Serial Project.
3 (1.6%)
I have never heard of either Designers Challenge or a Serial Project...
1 (0.5%)
I run UA on Win98 (or actual DOS?).
3 (1.6%)
I run UA on XP without emulation.
4 (2.1%)
I run UA on XP or Vista via Dosbox.
20 (10.5%)
I run the Mac version on a Mac.
1 (0.5%)
I run the PC version on a Mac, via Dosbox.
3 (1.6%)
I use an entirely different setting than the ones mentioned above to run UA.
3 (1.6%)
This poll did not really allow me to explain my relation to UA, I prefer to post a comment below.
1 (0.5%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: POLL: UA Community Census  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
POLL: UA Community Census
« on: January 22, 2009, 11:58:07 AM »
I thought I'd test the option to create polls by repeating the Community Census questions from the mailing list here, this time as a multiple-choice poll. You can select as many statements as you see fit to describe your relation to UA. Additionally (ir instead) you can choose to post a more detailed comment below. Feel free to criticize the poll or give suggestions for improvement.  :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 11:11:11 AM by ProphetSword »

Offline magnusfalkirk

Re: UA Community Census
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 12:47:33 PM »
Just a quick comment that it might also have been interesting to add a question to see how many people in the community run FRUA on a Mac. From there it could also be asked if they run the Mac version or use DOSBOX to run the PC version. I know I'm one of the few who runs the Mac version.

Dean

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
Wow, great poll!

Also, if you want to know how many people use Mac vs. DOSBox, or whatever...feel free to start a poll of your own...
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 02:17:29 PM »
I added questions about the system people run UA on. Even if you already voted I think everyone should be able to edit their vote, as I allowed for it. It seems that I on the other hand can't do that with a poll I created myself... Any suggestions?

Anyway, I've set up UA to run on Vista via DosBox, but I feel it's not the same as it used to be; doesn't run as smoothly and doesn't look that nice (I tend to be very fussy about those things). Luckily, my old Win98 computer still works.  :)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 02:25:43 PM »
Besides, I was not given the option to change the number of possible votes. So I guess it's still 19 although there are about 25 statements now. I don't think that's a problem with this poll now; just a heads up that it could theoretically become one when editing a poll.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 02:51:28 PM »
You forgot to set the option to allow voters to "remove" their vote.  I've set it for you (I hope that's okay).

That will make it so that people can remove their previous vote and vote again (thereby allowing them to give information about what system they are using).

If I over-stepped my bounds, be sure to smack me around and let me know! :D

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 02:59:35 PM »
Ah. I thought I had activated that option but that was probably just the first time when I didn't know yet that I was going to be logged out after 60 minutes... after that I had to create the poll from scratch and apparently forgot that.  ;D

Thanks for setting it right!

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 10:34:54 AM »
I don't play nearly as much as I used to.  While I have created a dozen or so designs on my hard drive, I have only completed and released two of them (three if you count a demo for Gamma World UA).  I prefer the classic settings, but I'm open to anything, especially science fiction.  I enjoy lengthy designs or campaigns, but I'm happy to play shorter adventures as well.

Offline Rosestar

• Keeper of the Blue Kitten
Re: POLL: UA Community Census
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 08:44:37 PM »
 |sf>At the moment, I'm preoccupied with creating art.  I do still want to play modules, but I'm a bit hesitant as to what will run correctly.

Back in 2006, the 3.11 computer that I used to run FRUA modules died.  The hard drive data survived, which I burned to disk.  I ended up importing everything to this XP computer, but it's the old 3.80a UAShell version that works perfectly (sound and everything) in DOS box.  Trying to run the most recent version of UAShell doesn't make everything work perfectly and I have to run through a mob of hoops (every single time I boot up UAShell, I have to run through all the sound settings) in order to get the barest of primitive sounds (PC speakers or something?) to run within DOS Box. 

Therefore, I haven't played anyone else's new modules in a while, because it's a tough situation.  Either way I might lose out on hearing the game in the manner that the designer intended. 
---
Suzanne M. Ferree
  ev322@netzero.net

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 10:05:45 PM »
Welcome to the UA forum, Suzanne!

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 10:18:31 PM »
Trying to run the most recent version of UAShell doesn't make everything work perfectly and I have to run through a mob of hoops (every single time I boot up UAShell, I have to run through all the sound settings) in order to get the barest of primitive sounds (PC speakers or something?) to run within DOS Box. 

I'm not sure what the newest version is, but I run with 9.20, which is dated in 2003.  It seems to work with no serious issues in DOSBox (the sound works fine).  I've got the install files for that version if you want to try it.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 05:53:16 PM »
There is a new version of DOSBox available for you Windows folks. :) It just came out this May 27th. I don't see anything specifically about improved handling of PC sound, but it does mention  improved sound for Mac.

Offline Iranon

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 06:43:26 PM »
I run UA on an ancient laptop under windows 98... works quite nicely, apart from hackckit (no luck installing some component it needs).

While I have a few designs in the works, I'm not sure if I'll ever get to releasing them. I tend to get bogged down too much in hacking/tweaking to do anything creative.

Thematically, I like classic D&D settings... bonus points if they make me go 'this is what the games SHOULD have been like in the early 90ies' or if it includes something new and groundbreaking that nevertheless fits seamlessly with the rest.

Offline hans

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 06:48:18 PM »
While I have a few designs in the works, I'm not sure if I'll ever get to releasing them. I tend to get bogged down too much in hacking/tweaking to do anything creative.

Have you considered a mini-mod...?   ;)

Offline Rosestar

• Keeper of the Blue Kitten
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2009, 08:22:22 PM »
Trying to run the most recent version of UAShell doesn't make everything work perfectly and I have to run through a mob of hoops (every single time I boot up UAShell, I have to run through all the sound settings) in order to get the barest of primitive sounds (PC speakers or something?) to run within DOS Box. 

I'm not sure what the newest version is, but I run with 9.20, which is dated in 2003.  It seems to work with no serious issues in DOSBox (the sound works fine).  I've got the install files for that version if you want to try it.
|sf>As I tried to explain, I have two copies of FRUA on the hard drive.  One of them is connected with 9.whatever (the one that only works with PC sounds) and the other is the classic 3.80A (which allows Soundblaster to work and I don't have to run the reconfiguration file all the time).  The only thing that I know 3.80 clearly doesn't allow is the extended MIDI files on the DQK2 sound file.  I also have to run Toolbox and Show from the prompt instead of within UAShell itself.     
---
Suzanne M. Ferree
  ev322@netzero.net