Author Topic: REVIEW: The Illuminodi (by UAHuma)  (Read 629 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
REVIEW: The Illuminodi (by UAHuma)
« on: January 25, 2009, 08:20:19 PM »
The Illuminodi
by UAHuma

Overall Rating: 8.5

Reviewed by Rob

Having finished my entry in the competition I thought I could kill a few hours by looking around GIGA for a few old gems. I certainly found one in the Illuminodi. There was a discussion about combat mods on onelist not so long ago, and I think this mod falls into that catagory.

It's no great secret that I'm a fan of modules where you have to think your way though combats, and this is most of the reason this module scores so highly. The basic premise is that you are competing in a tournament(the Illuminodi) of one on one magical confrontations with other mages. The combats therefore are mostly of a magical nature.

Aside from the combats the storyline is very good. The town of Ufrustus is well set up and you get the feel that this is a real place as you wander around. There was only one event that may have misfired, and that was a stair event that denied you access to a building. Upon looking into the editor it seems this was a simple case of not blanking out the question after unchecking the ask yes/no question box. Of special note is the magic shop which gained items as competitors supposedly dropped out of the tournament(we won't discuss the inflation rate on a potion of healing tho).

There are only two NPC's of note in the mod. The first is Teijo, who is Gunner's(your character's) friend. Teijo accompanies you to the tournament and sits in the stand cheering you on. The second NPC of note is Duncan, the counsellor of Magi. Duncan befriends the young Gunner and gives him helpful tips on his opponent throughout the Tournament.

Overall this module is exceptional mod and I'll be looking at other work from this author as soon as possible. Sadly he appears to have headed off into the army so this will be his last work.

To those who like elaborate storylines with unexpected twists and turns this module won't be for you. I picked the ending before my first fight, but that didn't reduce my enjoyment at all. The artwork is good, the combats are great, the story is believable, the NPC's are well carried out.

I recommend this module highly. Overall I rate it at 85% A few small spelling mistakes can be found, and one event not executing as planned. My only regret is that I was part way through designing a module with a similar story. This seems to happen to me a lot...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 05:46:09 PM by Olivier Leroux »
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
Re: REVIEW: The Illuminodi (by UAHuma)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 05:43:32 PM »
The Illuminodi
by UAHuma

Reviewed by Susan McKinney

You play a mage sent to participate in the annual tournament. This tournament determines who is the best of the new mages. Getting some help from your childhood friend, you strive to beat your opponents. This design was unique and intriguing. The background for the world was interesting as well. The main storyline is classic hack-n-slash.  The only real thinking involved is strategic spell usage.

Mycroft Rating: 7

Offline UA HUMA

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 10:09:08 PM »
Hi team, UA Huma checking in. Thanks for playing my mod. I enjoyed making this probably summer of 95. I was wondering if my other mod is available? I can't remember the name, but it was a bigger more involved mod about a knight Huma from the dragon lance world. I think it was Adventures of Huma, or Companions of Huma? If not, it may have had the name Krynn in it.  It would have been MAC side. I also handmade the sprites of the companions for the game. Be great if I could see those again, as I wasn't an artist, but was so passionate about making my mod I just figured it out through trial and error.

I can't believe these files are still around. So cool. I'll have to figure out how to download and get everything running. There was a lot of mods I never had a chance to get to back in the day because I left for the army out of high school and lost touch with the AOL community. I dont know if AFA Alice is still out there, but shout out if so.

Warm Regards,

Jonathan
UA Huma

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 08:12:01 AM »
Was it possibly “The Beginning of Huma?”

If so, you can find a review here: