Author Topic: add-on for monsters database: UNDERWATER - now LIVE  (Read 3827 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: add-on for monsters database: UNDERWATER
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2016, 03:46:20 PM »
I've got different info for Tiger and Mako sharks, plus I was looking at some smaller than average varieties because I was looking at North Atlantic data (British web site list data for sharks off the coast of Britain? Crazy. ;) )

I am going to do a Tiger Shark icon - 12' average length (according to Sharks-World.com) - because I like Tiger Sharks. :D This same web site is saying 6' to 9' for Mako. Hmm. This is not the British site...maybe I need to find something more "definitive"?

I will use your list to look for sharks, though. :D

Edited to add:

We could use the Dwarf Lanternshark at 1/4 HD - it's only 8 inches long at maturity. That would be like five or six pixels long. ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 04:18:08 PM by manikus »

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2016, 09:03:10 AM »
Ha ha - 5-6 pixels should be a pretty easy fix...

As for sharks and others critters' sizes - it's always a challenge, since statistics seem all over the place sometimes.  One problem is that "big is always better" - so everyone seems to try and put the biggest sizes for each species ever - but that's like describing human beings as being "up to 9' in size" which MAY be true, but isn't really representative of the species.
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2016, 01:06:41 PM »
You are completely right about this - most sites want to give the longest and heaviest, especially shark sites that have a section on shark attacks or that focus on shark attacks.

I did find a nice new interactive graphic at National Geographic though that didn't answer my questions, but was cool to use and pretty to look at.
It turns out that Wikipedia is actually a good place to start - use their info and then follow their links to get to better sources. Sharks on Wikipedia are done very well.

Icons other than the Dwarf Lanternshark that I am considering...
Starfish: 2 - 4 pixels
Sea Urchin: 2 - 3 pixels
Seahorse: 1 pixel
Sardines: 2-3 pixels

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2016, 12:45:06 PM »
Spells are done and work on the Special Abilities has begun.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2016, 01:24:57 PM »
Lest people think I am not still working on this, I've gotten about 3/4ths of the spells done and toook a break to do some icons for it, one of which is attached to this post. :D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 01:29:03 PM by manikus »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2016, 01:54:49 PM »
How about another icon? While I am using 3D resources for this and the whale, I am trying to do them in a style siilar to Uatu. :) That won't be the case for all of the ones I am doing, but as many as I can.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2016, 12:53:49 PM »
I am now finished with the spells database and have started thinking about the special abiliities database. I am also working on some more icons. :)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2016, 01:02:37 PM »
I'm about 25% done with the special abilities. This is going to take way  longerr than I anticipated, but that's not a bad thing. What am I talking about? Looking at the default database for models, I discovered that many SAs were incomplete or had scripts that were redundant, and even a couple that didn't do anything at all. Those are all fixed and I'm looking through the database for other similar scripts. I've also decided to add in some SAs that aren't used by the other databases, but will be in place for a designer to easily add them to their own monsters/spells/items.
I'm going to continue to work this way, and when I am done with the Underwater add-on, there will be a nice update for the default databases too.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2016, 05:39:47 PM »
I've got a few more SAs done, but mostly did some icons this weekend. Would you like me to share one?

I am only going to be sharing my original icons - all fo the color conversions, minor tweaks of Uatu's, you will have to wait for the download to see those.

Today, I present the Aboleth. This is kind of a weird monster, I've always thought of it as somewhat mechanical because of those eyes...

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2016, 06:57:30 PM »
Today, I present the Aboleth. This is kind of a weird monster...

There's nothing weird about a gigantic, amphibious, slimy, telepathic 3-eyed fish with tentacles.

Thanks for making this icon!
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2016, 10:33:08 AM »
I got dibs on the seahorse - wait, it might be smaller than 1 pixel...

Nice icons!  I didn't even know what a blue shark was until now...  and the humpback whale is very humpbacky.  Aboleth looks good, too, that was always a weird creature!
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2016, 12:42:48 PM »
I am sorry to say, Uatu, that a Sea Horse will not be included in the database. They're not in the monster books. ;) Now, Giant Sea Horse, it's in there. :D What would the Sea Horse attack be? "You are swarmed by a school of cute little creatures that flap their fins at you and then flee." Special attack is "Distract by Cuteness".

Just out of curiosity I did a quick search on Aboleths, and didn't find anything per the 1e version in the first 20 results, but lots of references to the Pathfinder, d20 and D&D 3.5+ versions, where it is quite a bit bigger (almost twice the size), slimmer, faster and a "master of mind magic". ??? To me, that 1e pic in all of it's line-drawing glory, looks like a cross between a mollusk, catfish and bathosphere. :D I always imagined that if I used one as a DM, I would have a gnome pilot inside.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2016, 05:27:54 PM »
Dragon Magazine #131 has an article on the Ecology of the Aboleth. This article describes the Greater, Noble, Ruler, and Grand Aboleths. The Grand Aboleth is a unique creature that is 70' long. The Night Below boxed set introduced the spell-casting Savant Aboleth.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2016, 05:37:09 PM »
Thanks, Nol. :) I'll check it out. Who knows - maybe I'll do another, bigger icon for one of the other kind of Aboleths.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 12:43:37 PM by manikus »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2016, 12:46:05 PM »
I have now finished all of the special abilities except for the "aura" ones, of which there are nine - this means I am about 80% done with them.

In addition, I have another new icon which I will share - the manta ray.