Author Topic: Oriental Adventures Worldhack v1.3 Release  (Read 8225 times)

Offline Darius

• Darius' Unlimited Adventures Domain
Oriental Adventures Worldhack v1.3 Release
« on: July 26, 2009, 10:58:32 PM »
Ni hao, my friends!   :D
Version 1.3 of the OA Worldhack has been uploaded at last to the UA File Archive and is now available for download.  The update is available as a patch from v1.2 (oa-bfix2.zip) for existing OA'ers or a full install (oa-setup.zip) for those who have yet to venture to the Far East.

The OAUA team has been hard at work, fixing reported bugs and adding lots of new, exciting enhancements.  Below is a complete list of the changes:

Bug Fixes:
  • Added usage of Butterfly Sword and Fine Butterfly Sword for Monk class
  • Fixed Zone Step Event bug in Global Event editor
  • Corrected Overaweing special ability to affect only level 1 enemies
  • Updated STRG.GLB to reflect correct entries for Bakemono Leader and Kuei
  • Fixed Potion of the Chameleon bug that was causing loss of hit points
  • Corrected issue with Do Good event that made Unconscious PCs unrecoverable
  • Fixed Metal to Rust spell effect to work as described
  • Corrected Wu-Jen automatic spell allotment list
  • Tweaked item granted by Enchanted Blade to prevent exploit

Spells:
  • Added 10 new Wu Jen spells including: Monkey's Grip, Identify, Blow Away, Time Stop, Sunburst, Cobra's Breath, and Celestial Fury
  • Added 1 new Shukenja spell: Death's Door
  • Renamed a few Wu Jen and Shukenja spells
  • Wu-Jen now may learn 2 new spells at each level advance instead of only 1

Designer Tools:
  • Added 'carat' hack to enhance PC referencing capability in Text boxes
  • Enhanced combat events to allow for alternate placement of 'friendlies'
  • Added Iron Cobra and Yellow Musk Zombie small pics
  • Replaced Shadowdancer and Spirit Master sprites
  • Added Kappa-Ti, Rakshasa Ruhk and Emerald Master sprites
  • Removed racially based level limits
  • Updated SCRIPT.GLB to include extended Monster Editor

I've also released a new version of the Tale of Twin Dragons: Part I (oa-td1.zip) to take advantage of some of the new functionality and PC fixes, and of course updated documentation to detail the new changes. 

Enjoy!
Darius and the OAUA Team

« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 11:03:08 PM by Darius »

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Oriental Adventures Worldhack v1.3 Release
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 09:10:09 AM »
 ;D AWESOME!!!  ;D
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 10:09:46 AM »
Hey Darius and OAUA Team,

I'm having some trouble installing OAUA1.3, can you help me?

Since running oapat13.exe with WinVista did not work, I tried running it with DOSBox. I got the message "LOAD ERROR: no DPMI, get csdpmi*b.zip". So I searched the web and downloaded csdpmi3b.zip, copied the content of the BIN folder into the game folder, like I read somewhere, and tried again. This time I got the message "This patch updates original ckit_" but nothing else; when I pressed a key, there was the command prompt again. Not sure whether anything had been updated, I loaded OAUA and tested both the 'carat' hack and the 'Do Good' event fix. Strangely, the 'carat' hack worked, while the 'Do Good' event was still bugged, so I still don't know if OAUA1.3 was patched or not ...

Offline Darius

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 10:44:34 PM »

Hi Olivier,
This release came in two different versions -- one is a patch from v 1.2 to v 1.3, and one is a full install.  If you have the file oapat13.exe, then you must have downloaded the full install -- but haven't you been working with OA already, in which case you only needed the patch?  The reason I ask is because the executable files which install the CKIT hacks are two very different files, and they check to make sure you've read the instructions and are applying the correct one...   ;)

So you have two options -- you can either set up a brand new, untouched, un-UAShelled copy of FRUA and then install all of the contents of oasetup.zip on top of that and run oapat13.exe, or you can install the patch files from oa-bfix2.zip on top of what you already had (which should be version 1.2) and run the executable patchup.exe that comes with that package.  Applying the correct file will get you a near instant, quiet install of the CKIT hacks with no error messages.

Funny though, that it seemed to have installed the carat hack despite the error message?  What bug did you see unfixed with the Do Good event?   :P

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 07:06:32 AM »
So you have two options -- you can either set up a brand new, untouched, un-UAShelled copy of FRUA and then install all of the contents of oasetup.zip on top of that and run oapat13.exe

That's what I did. You're right about previous installs on my harddisk but I wanted a fresh clean start, so I did everything by the books, new UA1.2, no UAShell, oasetup and oapat13.exe. I even refrained from removing Ckit's password request because the instructions said not to use a hacked version. The only thing I didn't do - not sure if that was my fault - was to create a folder for oa-td1.dsn and install that too before applying oapat13.exe.

But okay, last time I complained to you about OA1.2 not working correctly, re-installing it solved the problem, so you've got a right to be suspicious. I'm not above committing errors, even when I read instructions.  ;)

I'll just try again.

Funny though, that it seemed to have installed the carat hack despite the error message?

There was no error message, it went like this:

C:/OAUA/>_
C:/OAUA/>oapat13
This patch updates original ckit_
(because DOSBox waited for a prompt I pressed ENTER or SPACE)
C:/OAUA/>_ (back to command prompt)

Should oapat13.exe give out any other messages while patching? Any visuable signs that it worked?

What bug did you see unfixed with the Do Good event?  :P

Well, what bug DID you fix?   :P

An unconscious NPC in the party regained hit points through the Do Good event but the color of his name in the character menu remained the same as for dead or unconscious PCs/NPCs. His status was OKAY but in the next combat he showed up as a corpse and didn't take part in the battle.

Should the problem remain after my second try in installation, I'll check how an unconscious PC reacts to the Do Good event. For now, I'm off following instructions.  ;)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 07:59:34 AM »
Ok, I re-installed OAUA, downloaded and used csdpmi5b instead of csdpmi3b and curiously this time there was no message at all. I checked a few other things beside the 'carat' hack though to make sure 1.3 had been installed (combat event was enhanced, new sprites were there).

The problem with the Do Good event remained for me, even if the unconscious character was a PC. So it seems my troubles were not related to the installation but to the Do Good event itself.

Another two things I noticed while playing around with this:
- Using "Fix" in a temple event always makes my game crash.
- The names of OA-TD1's dungeons show up in the dungeon selection even in a new design, although - according to Global Info - the dungeons in question are not named yet (I had this issue with earlier versions, too, but I've never mentioned it before, I think).

Darius, is there a way to remove the password request in OAUA? I thought you said it was already removed but maybe my mind is playing tricks on me 'cause it's still there.

I'd hate to cry wolf because of this, I'd just like other OAUAites to check if those things are working for you or not.
Anyway, thanks a lot to the OAUA team for all your efforts. Once this is all sorted out I'll think about doing that class tutorial mod I talked about before the release of OA1.3. :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 08:04:36 AM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline hans

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 06:37:46 PM »
I believe that I've fully upgraded my main OAUA copy to v1.3, now.  I used OA-bfix2, but there seemed to be a couple of problems.   :-\

My copy had been using UAShell.  UAShell creates a Default.DSN folder in which it stashes copies of all of UA's files (in this case OAUA v1.2's files since UAShell was added after that version's OASetup was applied).  These Default files include a Panic.XXX which holds all of the Ckit's info.  These Default files are what UAShell refers to in order to restore what it thinks is normal UA when hacked files are not found in an applied *.DSN.  Therefore, once I used UAShell with my upgraded version, it automatically downgraded back to v1.2.   :P

What I did was remove the Panic.XXX file and re-open patchup.exe.  (When I next used UAShell, it created a new Panic.XXX file using the OAv1.3 Ckit as its model.)  I also manually DLed all the other v1.3 files into my Default.DSN folder, overwriting thier counterparts, except for the Docs, which I put in their proper place.  When next I ran UAShell, I could spot many of the v1.3 changes right where they should be.  So, I think I'm good, now.   :D

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 06:59:26 PM »
So, I think I'm good, now.   :D

Hey hans, if you've got 1.3 set up now, I'd be interested in knowing whether you also experience any of the problems I mentioned in my post or not.  :-\

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 08:00:38 PM »
 On my machine, Tale of Twin Dragons locks up on the first step (not pause or turn) of the guided tour event when run in xp with the sound on. (Incompatible sound effects file.) Works fine under DosBox, or without sound effects.
Tom
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline hans

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 11:22:23 PM »
Hey hans, if you've got 1.3 set up now, I'd be interested in knowing whether you also experience any of the problems I mentioned in my post or not.  :-\

Yes, unfortunately, I also have trouble with the "Do Good" & "Fix" bugs you mentioned.

Offline Darius

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 10:37:55 PM »
Ok, I re-installed OAUA, downloaded and used csdpmi5b instead of csdpmi3b and curiously this time there was no message at all. I checked a few other things beside the 'carat' hack though to make sure 1.3 had been installed (combat event was enhanced, new sprites were there).

- Using "Fix" in a temple event always makes my game crash.
- The names of OA-TD1's dungeons show up in the dungeon selection even in a new design, although - according to Global Info - the dungeons in question are not named yet (I had this issue with earlier versions, too, but I've never mentioned it before, I think).

Darius, is there a way to remove the password request in OAUA? I thought you said it was already removed but maybe my mind is playing tricks on me 'cause it's still there.

Hi Olivier,
Sorry I didn't get a chance to respond earlier -- yes, the patchup and oapat13.exe files are both "quick and quiet" and don't give any grand messages about having completed the installation.  It sounds like you are fully installed now.   Thanks hans, for the helpful instructions on how to install 1.3 while bypassing UAShell's annoying tendency to undo everything you are trying to do!  :)

"Do Good" -- I don't think we ever tested this on NPCs, but you reported the same issue with PCs.  The bug that was present before was Unconscious PCs would gain hitpoints above 0, but CKIT had its own routine related to removal of the "Unconscious" flag, and the two routines together would prevent that PC from regaining consciousness in any way.  A very nasty bug.  The fix to the Do Good event was to add a check to see the status of the PC and only grant hitpoints to the Conscious PCs.   

As a side note, it would be a good idea to use a bigpic "flash" following your Do Good events to act as a screen refresher.  This will show the updates to your PCs hitpoints.

"Fix" -- I probably never tested this because I haven't utilized a Temple event thus far, but I bet it has something to do with the hacked spells we've used.  Temple is probably trying to apply some spells it shouldn't be applying to the PCs.  I've never had any problems with the Fix command in the Encamp menu.  If you have time, could you try narrowing the selection of available Temple spells until Fix does work properly and let us know?  I'm thinking if we find the right spell level then this crash can be avoided.

"TD1 dungeons" -- darn it.  I thought I'd fixed that as well.   :-[
I've attached what I think is a clean STRG.GLB file for your DISK3 folder.  Can you check to make sure it looks good?

"Password" -- This one I don't understand because my version 1.3 never asks me for the password.  It may be that I updated that myself at an earlier time, either manually or using ckit-crk.  That little utility just flips the one or two bytes that apply to the password, and they would be the same for OA.  If you want the password questions to go away, give ckit-crk a try.   8)

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 11:11:45 PM by Darius »

Offline Darius

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 10:44:28 PM »
On my machine, Tale of Twin Dragons locks up on the first step (not pause or turn) of the guided tour event when run in xp with the sound on. (Incompatible sound effects file.) Works fine under DosBox, or without sound effects.
Tom

Hi Tom,
Yep, this is a standard UA bug on many computers when running the game with sound outside of DosBOX.  If you were using my hacked SFXDQ file for standard UA so you could run it outside of DosBOX, you could certainly run the same SFXDQ file with OA for the same purpose.   ;D

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 01:29:07 AM »
Hi Darius!

"Password" -- This one I don't understand because my version 1.3 never asks me for the password.  It may be that I updated that myself at an earlier time, either manually or using ckit-crk.  That little utility just flips the one or two bytes that apply to the password, and they would be the same for OA.  If you want the password questions to go away, give ckit-crk a try.   8)

Ok, great, as long as it doesn't mess up OAUA's ckit. Wish I'd known that before.  ;D

I've attached what I think is a clean STRG.GLB file for your DISK3 folder.  Can you check to make sure it looks good?

This seems to work, thanks a lot!  :)

If you have time, could you try narrowing the selection of available Temple spells until Fix does work properly and let us know?  I'm thinking if we find the right spell level then this crash can be avoided.

I'll see what I can do, although I probably won't have the time to do it within the next 10 days or so, so if anyone else's wants to give it a try, go ahead.

The bug that was present before was Unconscious PCs would gain hitpoints above 0, but CKIT had its own routine related to removal of the "Unconscious" flag, and the two routines together would prevent that PC from regaining consciousness in any way.  A very nasty bug.  The fix to the Do Good event was to add a check to see the status of the PC and only grant hitpoints to the Conscious PCs.   

Ah, right. I remember this now. In this regard it is fixed, because the status is OKAY on the character sheet.

As a side note, it would be a good idea to use a bigpic "flash" following your Do Good events to act as a screen refresher.  This will show the updates to your PCs hitpoints.

This trick I remember from the macho event. It's not necessary for updating the hitpoints, that works without it. But since I didn't use any pictures, the issue with the color in the character menu might actually be related to that and reparable with a big picture (or even an empty sprite, the method I prefer).

Still, what remains is that the "healed" character will participate in combat only in the horizontal and very unhealthy looking position and the PC will not be selectable. So it seems that while the "UNCONSCIOUS" flag is removed on the character sheet, the same does not apply for combat mode... :(
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 01:32:27 AM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline hans

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 10:46:26 AM »
If you have time, could you try narrowing the selection of available Temple spells until Fix does work properly and let us know? 

I start freezing up right at level 7 (when the "Fix" option first appears at a Temple). 

If you can't debug it, maybe it would do just as nice to remove that option...?

Offline Darius

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 07:10:09 AM »

Well that's strange.  I just tried the Do Good event and I see what you're referring to now.  I know this was working properly before, but obviously now it is not.  I may have the proper fix for Do Good saved in another diff.tbl somewhere and will see what I can do.  Sorry about that...  :-[

I looked into the Fix bug a little more thoroughly because I suspected it was a certain spell that was causing the problem, but it's not.  If you change the cost to Div 100 (cheapest next to Free) then you can select every spell including Level 7 spells and none of them cause a problem.  In fact the Fix command seems to work just fine, but after the "Whole Party Is Healed" message is when it freezes up.  I would guess there is some kind of memory issue right after that message that causes it to go into an endless loop, and I'm not skilled enough to fix that.  I do like your suggestion though hans, of disabling the button until we can find a proper...uh...fix.  That much I can do.    :D

Anything else while we're at it?   ::)