Author Topic: REVIEW: The Damned / The Damned 2.0 (by Jon Marshall)  (Read 887 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
REVIEW: The Damned / The Damned 2.0 (by Jon Marshall)
« on: January 22, 2009, 10:06:51 AM »
The Damned / The Damned v2.0
by Jon Marshall

Reviewed by Susan McKinney

This was an excellent adventure. I played both versions with a week in between to remove some of the temporary memory of the first game. I loved the storyline and the way it flowed. The NPCs are memorable especially Andrea. I have one point, after Maria leaves the group no further mention of her appears again, even at the end. It would be a nice wrapup advancing into "The Cursed" for there to be some mention of her.

As you can see from my ratings, the hacks in 2.0 are nice and are good changes but overall storyline is not changed nor my perception of it. I especially liked the way the author laid the town out and had events change depending on the time of day. Nice Touch!!

Rating: 8.5
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 06:30:10 PM by Olivier Leroux »
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
Re: REVIEW: The Damned / The Damned 2.0 (by Jon Marshall)
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 07:37:40 PM »
'The Damned' and 'The Cursed'
by Jon Marshall

Download damned20.zip
Download cursed.zip

Ratings: The Damned - 7.0
            The Cursed - 5.5

Reviewed by Chris Markwyn (markwync@xmission.com)

These two modules form a brief series. In the first, the characters are stranded on a small island city, and must defeat the evil machinations of a vampire. In the second, they escape the island and return to the mainland, where they are confronted with a new enemy.

Of the two, I enjoyed "The Damned" more. It has a tighter plotline and feels more fleshed out. There is more territory to cover in "The Cursed," but there is also less to do. While both games involve a lot of running back and forth from place to place to complete a series of actions, "The Damned," perhaps because of its constricted location, is less annoying in that way. "The Damned" takes place entirely on an island, in the town of Silverlake. There is a castle, a graveyard, and a town in three parts: the docks, the market, and the slums. As the game progresses, each of these locations changes, so there is always some new things to discover, and this gives the island a real feeling of being alive and responsive to the player's actions.

"The Cursed," on the other hand, takes place on the mainland. There are four towns, a few dungeons, and various other locations. However, even though the map is large and there are more places, there really seems to be less to do than in "The Damned." I also felt less involved in the action, that I was doing these things to advance the plot not because of any personal involvement but because I had to in order to finish the game. In "The Damned" I got a real sense that my characters were involved with these people, while in "The Cursed" I just felt corralled. While the plots of both games basically work through the device of "NPC says go do this, then NPC says go do that," I liked the NPCs in "The Damned" better.

I was also disappointed by the lack of connection between the two games. NPCs from the first game do reappear in the second, but I was hoping for a cameo by the villain from the first perhaps, or some more direct connection between the two, a la the Gold Box games. While the links are there, they are a bit tenuous.

Not that "The Cursed" doesn't have good things going for it. The villain has an interestingly Egyptian theme to his machinations, and there are some very nice pieces of imported art. There is a fair amount of combat, and while it is challenging, none of it is overwhelmingly so. There are lots of cool magic items to play with. But in general, "The Cursed" fails to rise above its problems to any degree. "The Damned," on the other hand, rises above its limitations and becomes quite an engaging adventure.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 07:59:55 AM »
The Damned
by Jon Marshall

Reviewed by James Rand

This little gem hasn't received much attention, so I'd like to
share my opinions, hoping that other players might find and
enjoy this module as well.

The story starts out when your party, tired of working at sea,
arrives at a little, very ordinary island and a town on it, looking
for new opportunities. After a lazy start, the party finds work,
and that is all I want to reveal of the story. But it really grabs
you and won't let go until you're (safely...?) back on board,
leaving the island. This is one of those modules, that you simply
-must- finish in one session, the story gets so intense at times.

On the technical side, I found no bugs and there were only a few
spelling errors. There were several chances of roleplaying (the
player had options to choose different methods of extracting
information from a thief, for example, and there were no 'wrong'
choices, that would've ended the game) and some nice touches in
gameplay itself (like the 'area view' becoming available after the party
had been wandering in the town for a while).

So it doesn't have any hacks or new art. To tell the truth, while
playing, it never even occurred to me to think, that 'these pics I've
seen a hundred times.'
 It does have a very humorous text file, but don't let that fool you,
this is no comedy. This is a very serious module, that occasionally
makes you think your actions. I recommend 'the Damned' fullheartedly.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 10:22:00 AM »
This module was not to my taste. Too much walking back and forth, trying to activate new events and find new treasures, some of which can only be found in a corner of a big room is you Search.

In the end I gave up when I couldn't find the key to the southern crypt. Apparantly it had been stolen from the Vault, but even looking in the editor I could not find it.

Combat was rather easy. New characters start with 2,500 XP, but I transfered in some with about 1,000 XP and no magical items, and they had no problems.

Economy was rather broken when you get free unlimited items from one of the temples. Fortunately there's no really powerful items to buy, so it's a minor point.

Apart from that it's a well written and bug free module, as far as I could determine, and enjoyed parts of it.
The beginning is rather boring before you get the first quest, but then it picks up when you finish the first act of the module. But then it became rather tedious with all the walking back and forth, and not finding that damned key.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 12:25:27 PM by PetrusOctavianus »