Author Topic: Updates to be included in OAUA 1.3  (Read 2945 times)

Offline Darius

• Darius' Unlimited Adventures Domain
Updates to be included in OAUA 1.3
« on: February 15, 2009, 10:47:16 AM »

Hi,
I thought it might be helpful to have a list of the things we are updating in OAUA 1.3.  In the event you've encountered a bug, you can check this list to see if the fix is included in the next patch, or otherwise report it in detail so we can address it.

v1.3 -- release pending
    a. updated STRG.GLB to reflect correct entries for Bakemono Leader and Kuei
    b. added usage of Butterfly Sword and Fine Butterfly Sword for Monk class
    c. fixed Zone Step Event bug in Global Event editor
    d. fixed Potion of the Chameleon bug that was causing loss of hit points
    e. corrected issue with Do Good event that made Unconscious PCs unrecoverable
    f. fixed Metal to Rust spell effect to work as described
    g. corrected Overaweing special ability to affect only level 1 enemies
    h. added new Shukenja spell: Death's Door
    i. updated SCRIPT.GLB to include extended Monster Editor
    j. added new 3rd level Wu Jen spell: Identify
    k. added new 5th level Wu Jen spells: Blow Away, Kadeb's Bane
    l. added new 6th level Wu Jen spells: Putrid Breath, Sunburst
    m. added new 7th level Wu Jen spells: Cobra's Breath, Monkey's Grip
    n. added new 8th level Wu Jen spell: Spirit of Decay
    o. added new 9th level Wu Jen spells: Celestial Fury, Time Stop
    p. renamed a few Wu Jen and Shukenja spells
    q. added Iron Cobra and Yellow Musk Zombie small pics
    r. replaced Shadowdancer and Spirit Master sprites
    s. added Kappa-Ti, Rakshasa Ruhk and Emerald Master sprites
    t. corrected Wu-Jen automatic spell allotment list
    u. added 'carat' hack to enhance PC referencing capability
    v. enhanced combat event types to allow alternate placement for 'friendlies'
    w. tweaked item granted by Enchanted Blade to prevent exploit
    x. permitted learning of 2 Wu-Jen spells at level advancement vs only 1
    y. removed racially based level limits
    z. lessened restrictions on Kensai to allow usage of 'special items'

Thanks!

Offline hans

Re: Updates to be included in OAUA 1.3
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 06:40:18 PM »
Wow!  That's a lot of cool stuff!!!   

You've used up the whole alphabet!  :D

With all those changes, is it going to be backwards compatible?

Offline Darius

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 01:54:08 AM »

Hi hans,
Yeah, I don't know what else we can cram into this update without me venturing into numbers, double letters, or perhaps special characters!  I'm hoping I don't have to cross that bridge.   ;)

It certainly will be backwards compatible with the exception that if you want your wu-jen to be able to take advantage of the new spells and new spell allotment, you have to create a new PC with version 1.3 applied.  For this reason, if you played TTD: Part I and plan to continue the adventure with custom characters, you'd have to play through it again in 1.3 for those characters to take advantage of the spell changes.  Or you could create new versions of your existing characters to begin TTD: Part II, but they'd miss out on owning important items like Tsukiko's Moon Blade.  If you used my default characters, I've already taken care of all this so you can jump right into the story.  No, this wasn't a ploy to force everyone to play my design a second time...   ;D

The only other thing that could be an issue with previously released designs is a change that relates to the combat events.  The additional functionality we've added to the combat event allows placement of 'friendly' characters behind 'enemy lines', which is something that was never possible before.  This can be used to great effect to simulate your PCs coming upon a battle already in progress, or perhaps in a strategic battle you could have the friendlies mounting a counter assault from the rear flank, etc.  But in adding this functionality, we lost a little bit of space, so the 6th monster slot in the combat event regrettably no longer has a toggle button option to mark it 'friendly'.  (The toggle button is not the space issue, it was simply removed because there wasn't space in CKIT to make it function properly).  There is some limited ability to control whether this spot is friendly, but not much.  Recognizing this could cause some problems with existing designs, we set the defaults in such a way that if you had a monster in slot 6, there will be no impact to your combat event.  However, if you have any combats where there is a friendly character in slot 6, you might find that character not so friendly any more. 

Hans, since I believe you are the only other person to have released an OAUA design, I hope this doesn't cause you any re-work.  I couldn't think of any combats in your designs that had 3 friendly characters, but maybe I'm wrong.  On the contrary, one combat that came to mind was in OA-OA (I think) where the hero is defending a woman.  If you wanted to, you could actually use this new functionality to place the woman hopelessly in the middle of the street thugs, and then have the hero step in to save the day. 

Offline Merle

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 09:07:04 PM »
Yay! I'm definitely looking forward to the new spells and the enhanced carat features.

Offline Darius

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 12:03:37 AM »

I tell ya, the Identify spell is heaven sent.  And what's more, with that spell and the features we previously added to the Encamp menu that allow you to level up or store items, designers are no longer forced to include a 'Small Town' event or full scale city every now and then just to take care of those tasks.  An entire adventure could take place in the wilderness if you desired.   ;D

Offline Merle

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 08:03:58 AM »
You know, I've always wondered why some podunk little village out in the middle of nowhere just happens to have folks able to train wandering strangers in the art of combat, spell casting, theology, and thieving.  It's kind of the like the owner of the tavern that happens to have multiple levels of Fighter and a Great Sword +3 hiding behind the bar.  Why does the town need the help of a bunch of armed nobodies that just wander in from the wilderness when they have Bob the Barkeep? ;D

Offline Darius

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 10:30:04 PM »

Hi OA'ers! 
It's been a while and I thought I should give you another update on the status of OAUA 1.3.  Brian and I were working on the portion of the update listed as "z" in the listing at the start of this thread, which would free up Kensai to utilize magical items such as cloaks and masks; but in testing we found the new code prevented them from using mundane weapons, which was more of a negative than the other was positive.  Brian has had other responsibilities lately and has not had the time to devote to debugging this.  What he did do is to create a patcher for the version prior to the Kensai work, so I can release fairly quickly everything that we had finished.  The only thing different from the list I provided is "z" was not completed. 

Offline hans

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 10:44:58 AM »
Sounds terrific, Darius!   :D 

We sure owe you and Brian a debt of gratitude.  OAUA is already awesome, and these improvements sound amazing!

I've already got a lot done for that OA mini-mod I promised to celebrate 1.3 with, so once the patch is released, it shouldn't take too long for me to complete it. 

I'll be finishing my EGA mod first.  That one's almost completely done.  Work is on hold for this week, since I have my nephews over for a visit, but once they're gone, it should only be a matter days...

Online Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 10:58:14 AM »
Between DC improvements, OAUA 1.3 and the anticipation of your designs, hans, as well as those of Keith and Ben J (yeah, I know it will still take a lot of time for them to come out), I swear one of these days I'm going to die of over-excitement...  :D

BTW, Darius, does the upcoming 1.3 patch mean we'll also see the release of OA-TD2 this year?  ;D

Offline Darius

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 05:48:33 AM »
I've already got a lot done for that OA mini-mod I promised to celebrate 1.3 with, so once the patch is released, it shouldn't take too long for me to complete it. 

That sounds great, hans!  I'm looking forward to see what you've cooked up for us this time...   ;D

Offline Darius

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 05:56:36 AM »
BTW, Darius, does the upcoming 1.3 patch mean we'll also see the release of OA-TD2 this year?  ;D

Hi Olivier,
Yes indeed!  I've been working away on it, but kind of stalled near the end because I wanted to get the 1.3 patch ready.  I also have an updated version of OA-TD1 ready that takes advantage of some of the new features in OAUA 1.3, so what I'll likely do is release that with the new patch and then OA-TD2 shortly thereafter.   :D

Online Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 07:37:29 AM »
I'm definitely going to play both then, as soon as they're released.  :)

Offline Darius

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 07:12:42 AM »
I'm definitely going to play both then, as soon as they're released.  :)

Woohoo!  I'd better wrap things up then!   :)

anything