Author Topic: PREVIEW? Some Screenshots Anyway  (Read 331 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: PREVIEW? Some Screenshots Anyway
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 01:42:02 PM »
@Adam
Those look really cool. I was picturing something similar in my mind's eye, but didn't know how to describe it accurately, and you did a much better job with a graphic representation than I could have done.

@Uatu:
If you wanted to do something like this, you could draw backdrops without skies are any area that is not part of the ground to be shown, and then Dinonykos or I could show you how to turn them into floor-walls. In fact, something like this might be a good impetus to get either him or I to do a tutorial on converting backdrops into florr-walls/ceiling-walls.
As for the mist, not sure how it would look, but you could do an overlay wall that uses the checkerboard pattern with one color the mist color and the other color the transparent color.

Just throing out ideas. 8) You guys have inspired me to mess around with something like this.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 04:26:02 PM »
They look great. My first critical thought was that perhaps the elements seem a bit too separate, rather than being an organic whole. That can often be an issue when elements are combined in DC, with its relatively high resolution. The misting and crags would address that issue.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 04:34:14 AM »
Yes, I think Adam's "enhancements" are improving the already nice art. It can definitely be done, as Manikus wrote. My main problem concerning tutorials is that it is really hard to find the right words to explain things (even Manikus as a native speaker admits that above :) ). The "floor wall" thing is not that complicated, but I'd say it is also not explained in a few sentences... :(
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 06:52:51 AM »
I will probably try to do a craggy version next...  (Just to see how it goes...)
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 12:20:25 PM »
I culdn't find the right words to describe the cragginess, but I know I can for a tutorial on how to turn a backdrop into a floor-wall. ;) Shall we collaborate, Dinonykos? How about you donate a backdrop, and I write up the tutorial and have you look it over before posting it?

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 01:08:15 AM »
Would it not make sense to use Uatu's brown backdrop (and the modifications made by Adam)? Uatu could then directly use it... :D If you like, I could give it a try and document what I do with screencaps and preliminary text, and you could go over my English afterwards... :)
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2017, 12:26:38 PM »
Is the brown the backdrop or is the white? I guess it means he did a good job, since I can't tell. ;)
We should totally use a backdrop that when made into a floor-wall will be immediately usable.

However you want to do this is good with me. :D