Author Topic: RELEASED: The Realm - Thunder Rift  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Ray

RELEASED: The Realm - Thunder Rift
« on: March 13, 2017, 10:45:31 PM »
There was something in the air last month when our very own ProphetSword brought up the idea of a One-Week Challenge.  A lot of us started talking, and a lot of ideas started churning, and a bunch of us ran off to our desks to see what might come out of it.  For my part, I was dusting off my old FRUA Machine after more than a ten-year hiatus, and I wasn't entirely sure that I even remembered what I was doing anymore...

I suppose I should let you be the judge of whether I remembered or not.

Announcing here, ten new designs for The Realm, Games 41-50--conversions of adventures published for BECMI Dungeons & Dragons under the Thunder Rift line!

These short games were published in the mid-90s, and I should probably admit that I fear I may well be the only person who remembers seeing them on the shelves of my local B. Dalton and Waldenbooks stores.  At the time of the line's full run I was either a high-school senior or a college freshmen, and so just about the entire line slipped past me.  With the notable exception of Assault on Raven's Ruin, which became a seminal part of my home P&P campaign and Game 07 of the original Realm series for FRUA.  But I saw them on the shelf, and I thought, Some day, I'll track those down.

Thank eBay...they turned out to be fun, short little adventures! 

I've just finished uploading the following designs at Rosedragon:

Game 41: The Knight of Newts
Game 42: Quest for the Silver Sword
Game 43: Rage of the Rakasta
Game 44: Red Hand Trail (from the Goblin's Lair box set)
Game 45: Trouble Below (from the Goblin's Lair box set)
Game 46: Palace of Dread (from the Goblin's Lair box set)
Game 47: The Haunted Tower
Game 48: Wild Dragon's Den (from the Dragon's Den box set)
Game 49: Wyrmhaven (from the Dragon's Den box set)
Game 50: League of the Red Serpent (from the Dragon's Den box set)

Additionally, the Realm site (http://www.therealm.flopsyville.com/Menu.htm) has been updated with two new pages: A suggested order for playing Thunder Rift (including Assault on Raven's Ruin), and a Master List that sorts every Realm game I've created, alphabetically by party level.

As always, these games come with a HUGE thank you from me to everyone who has ever contributed a hack, a tune, a piece of art, or an article to the FRUA community.  I'm not an artist or a programmer, I'm just some dude who likes to make games, and none of these fifty designs would exist if it weren't for all the wonderful folks in this community.

My only hope is that, if anyone gets the time to take a look at what I've done, these "new" adventures bring a smile to someone's face. 

Happy Adventuring!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 10:49:35 PM by Ray »

Offline PetrusOctavianus

Re: RELEASED: The Realm - Thunder Rift
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 04:49:15 AM »
I'm looking forward to play those designs eventually.
Playing FRUA designs more or less chronologically I'm about to start the "main course" with the Realm campaigns in the not too distant future.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 02:37:01 AM »
This looks really good. Thanks for making it, Your works are my favorite. I wish I could do things like that, and I was thinking that I really should play trough all good games first before making something of my own, at least if I want to make it look better :)

Offline KTG

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 09:06:19 PM »
TEN new modules!  Nice!  It might be some time before I journey back to the Realm again, but this will definitely be good reason to.  Thanks Ray!

Offline Ray

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 10:22:51 PM »
I'm looking forward to play those designs eventually.
Playing FRUA designs more or less chronologically I'm about to start the "main course" with the Realm campaigns in the not too distant future.

When you do get to the Realm games, I hope they bring you some pleasure.  They've got their fans, but they've also been (justly) derided for a number of things, from repeating room descriptions to mismatched art, but I hope you'll find some charm in them, as well. 

I'm envious of your experience with so many designs through our hobby's history.  Your perspective must be so interesting, having seen games develop over the years.  I would love to find out what you've seen in your chronological tour--have games improved across the board?  Was there a period where "standards" seemed to appear because the internet communities began to consolidate?  There must be so many interesting insights that have come to your mind beyond the games themselves...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 10:31:09 PM by Ray »

Offline Ray

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 10:28:04 PM »
This looks really good. Thanks for making it, Your works are my favorite. I wish I could do things like that, and I was thinking that I really should play trough all good games first before making something of my own, at least if I want to make it look better :)

I'm sure other folks have given this advice before, but a lot of creating a module is just getting started and then putting one foot in front of the other till you've gone the distance and your module is done.  It's obviously more difficult than that, but once you get your idea down and you've begun work, it does start to feel that way.  The mystique starts to fall away, and you start to think about the nuts and bolts of what needs to be done to get to the next part of your game. 

It's like that moment when you realize that your significant other is just as human as you are, and you love them that much more for it.  You don't get wrapped up anymore in being perfect all the time, you can relax and be yourself and have more fun in the process! 

Keep putting one foot in front of the other, Milos--you've been in this hobby a while now; I'm anxious to see what you make when you're ready to share it with us!  :D

Offline Ray

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 10:29:39 PM »
TEN new modules!  Nice!  It might be some time before I journey back to the Realm again, but this will definitely be good reason to.  Thanks Ray!

They're short ones, to be fair, but I hope you'll find some of the old magic in them, still!   :D

Also looking forward to the design you mentioned making, too!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 10:33:40 PM by Ray »

Offline marainein

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 03:15:43 AM »
Just when we thought we were going finally conquer The Realm, Ray reveals that he's one step- well, ten steps ahead actually, of us. Congratulations Ray!

BTW - is there a record somewhere for largest rpg produced by one guy? Surely we have a contender here.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 05:01:20 PM »
Amazing. I have just checked the site with Thunder Rift list. I will need to prepare for adventure ;D. This is really something great, thank You so much. I think I will have to play trough all those modules eventualy from The Realms series.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 11:26:05 AM »
When you do get to the Realm games, I hope they bring you some pleasure.  They've got their fans, but they've also been (justly) derided for a number of things, from repeating room descriptions to mismatched art, but I hope you'll find some charm in them, as well. 

Well, the only negative I've heard about them so far is the questionable choice of colours and fonts in some of your designs.

I'm envious of your experience with so many designs through our hobby's history.  Your perspective must be so interesting, having seen games develop over the years.  I would love to find out what you've seen in your chronological tour--have games improved across the board?  Was there a period where "standards" seemed to appear because the internet communities began to consolidate?  There must be so many interesting insights that have come to your mind beyond the games themselves...

I haven't played them strickly chronologically since I want to take the same parties through several designs. I also play the newer designs (at least the shorter ones) to give feedback to designers.

But the first years (say 1993 to 1996) were dominated by Gold Box type designs, where you play a party of adventurers that saved the day, and could travel to a new design.

Gradually more story driven designs, with pregens (often just one character) became more dominant.
New artwork and hacks also became more and more important.
In the past couple of years the old style designs seem to have become more popular again, though.

The came the Realms era of 1998-2000.

Then the number of new designs dropped markedly as Neverwinter Nights was released.

That's my impressions so far.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 12:56:32 PM by PetrusOctavianus »

Offline Ray

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 12:50:29 PM »

Thanks for sharing all of that!

It's funny you mention the rise of single-player or pre-gen games.  One of the few designs I made that never made it to Rosedragon (too bogged down in my home campaign of the day), was a design where you make a single paladin and play through the game meeting NPCs who join you along the way.  I remember it fondly, but I have to admit that I haven't played it in close to twenty years...

Offline hans

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 09:17:49 PM »
Ray, I believe there is a broken (miscalibrated) Transfer Event in Dungeon 11 of Game 45: Trouble Below, located at Col 17, Row 13...   :-[

Offline Ray

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 10:19:39 PM »
You're right, Hans!

Bummed I didn't catch that...I spent a lot of time just walking around the halls, trying to test every transfer from every angle...

That one should go to Dungeon 10 (you probably figured that out)...I'm uploading a corrected version right now.

Thanks for the heads up!!!

Offline hans

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 08:05:21 PM »
Ray, I believe I have hit an endless Transfer loop in Game48: Wild Dragon's Den, located in dungeon 9 at Col 18, Row 5...  :-[

Offline Ray

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 09:40:26 PM »
Oh, no!

I swear I tested all of those Transfers!  I remember walking through that one, in that direction!

I'm sorry, Hans--Maybe I spoke too soon when I said that I hadn't lost it...  :-[

Here's an updated version (or you could just change it to go to Dungeon 10, which I have a feeling you already figured out...), just in case.

Thank you for the heads up and you (limitless) patience!!!

anything