Author Topic: PREVIEW: The Case of the Stolen Masterpiece  (Read 6701 times)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Re: PREVIEW: The Case of the Stolen Masterpiece
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 06:27:17 AM »
To get a little more characters out of Uatu's art, I have changed a few of his small pics and other art from his homepage (of course, after asking... :) ). The first of the example is one of Uatu's humans whom I tried to turn into an elf, the other is the same dwarf I already turned into an "NPC wall". I must admit that my approach of resizing the latter to be close enough for a portrait is not completely satisfying - a related discussion is in the thread on Milos' design in progress...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 01:07:05 PM »
I have now almost all of Uatu's characters modified the way they would be usable for this project, and I have also switched to DC 2.x - thus I can now start with level desiging... (I have some minor questions to DC 2.x which I will come to later in another thread...).

Below is one of Uatu's human fighters which I turned into a dark elf... :D
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 04:35:43 PM »
Looks great :) nicely done.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 01:14:09 AM »
The dark elf looks great!  :D  As for the first guy - a bit ironically, actually, that guy started out with no moustache (I am not sure where I put that image, but I probably have the moustache-less version somewhere) - but someone asked me to add a moustache to it!

Hmm - for the gold dwarf, what did you use to resize him?
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 06:20:09 AM »
Hi Uatu, I am happy again that you like the changes - I have now almost completed all 10 suspects (only hair and eye colours might still change). Since you had no obejections with my results so far, I am sure now that you will also be fine with some other changes I had to make (the male halfling became blond, for example). I also work on adding some wall art which fits withs yours, and I have added some perspectives for your wooden shelf so that is more three dimensional. I will show more examples tonight, I think.

By the way, I am even more impressed by your art now! Particularly how you do details like ears... when trying to change them, I realized how much effort is needed to make them look organic.

I used Paint Shop Pro 9 (option "Smart Size") for resizing the Gold Dwarf and made some changes manually. As discussed in Milos' thread, there may be similar or better solutions like the program you mentioned.
I guess your "Hmm" means that you are not so happy with that version, right? The Gold Dwarf portrait will probably not be used, anyway, I will only use him as NPC wall (as guard for the town's monarch, for whom I will use your new Dwarf King).

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 07:54:49 PM »
Looking forward to seeing your changes (perhaps in-game)!  Blond halflings are definitely okay (we can call him "Sam" ;D ).  As for my wooden shelf - I do remember that I kind of messed up its dimensions, but I was too tired to fix it after I noticed!  So if you did that for me, I am happy to hear that, to be honest!

Ears - actually, ears can be quite interesting, in that their anatomy is quite complex.  I have a book all about ears, with lots of ear photos :D  Anatomy is quite interesting, the deeper one gets into it - although it is a lot of rote memorization, too...

I think I used Paint Shop Pro a few times back in the '80s :D  My "hmm" was just wondering what you used - I like RotSprite best myself, followed by Scale2x (both free command-line programs) - they do a pretty good job of smooth resizing, although of course neither is perfect, either.

The dwarf king has a nifty magic sword ;D  Probably has holy powers, and kills giants and goblins on contact!

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 03:17:14 AM »
As for my wooden shelf - I do remember that I kind of messed up its dimensions, but I was too tired to fix it after I noticed!  So if you did that for me, I am happy to hear that, to be honest!
I only added the perspectives which show the shelf left or right of you, but in frontal view.

Looking forward to seeing your changes (perhaps in-game)!  Blond halflings are definitely okay (we can call him "Sam" ;D ). 
I guess I might not show you all changes in advance, but in those cases where I made changes that significantly change a character, I think I should show you that in advance. Probably the worst change I intend is making a fat human out of your "Nupperibo"... :D (It would be good to have one fat suspect.)

Of course, I will also send you versions of the game before publishing. My idea was that I finish the game for one suspect and then send this to you to see if you are fine with it. We should also do one or two nice intro screens then, like "Dinonykos Designs presents... in association with Uatu Arts... Sherlas of Hemlock in... The Case of the Stolen Masterpiece"  ;)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 05:36:31 AM »
Great news! I've been waiting for an original Uatu style module for years, and I can't imagine anyone more suited than Dinonykos to help make it come to life.  :)

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 08:08:48 AM »
I agree with that, lets hope things will go good and that we will have nice game to play.

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 09:45:40 AM »
Ha ha - I look forward to seeing the fat human who was once a nupperibo (that will probably be his "final" fate)!

Dinonykos is always great with his designs - I only hope that my art is prolific enough to work well with him!  (Ulp to my limited walls and such...)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2016, 01:39:10 PM »
Ha ha - I look forward to seeing the fat human who was once a nupperibo (that will probably be his "final" fate)!

Er... I thought it over - the nupperibo is a little too fat to be a believable thief, so I looked for an alternative... :D

Below is the screenshot you can see the updated shelf and my bench adapted to "Uatu style"...

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2016, 11:09:10 PM »
Looks great!  :D  I may have to use your "Uatu-style" bench myself... ;)

As for nupperibo-thief - what do you mean, "too fat?"  One can never be "too fat!"  :D

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2016, 05:12:49 AM »
Looks great!  :D  I may have to use your "Uatu-style" bench myself... ;)
I made/will make more like this. I have now found nice approaches how I can make my overlays fit with your walls (including colouring black lines, colour reducing, exchanging colours). I guess you will be happy with the outcome.

As for nupperibo-thief - what do you mean, "too fat?"  One can never be "too fat!"  :D

Hmm... I meant too fat to sneak into a smithy and run away with a precious masterpiece under the eyes of seven partly aggressive dwarvish smiths and artists... Well, Sammo Hung might have been able to do so... :D

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2016, 02:53:30 PM »
Great news! I've been waiting for an original Uatu style module for years...
Me too, me too!

I only hope that my art is prolific enough to work well with him!  (Ulp to my limited walls and such...)
I have added some more examples of our walls combined below, I think the combination works well.
EDIT: I will slightly change the oven, I think - the light grout is quite dominant in the some perspectives...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:46:12 AM by Dinonykos »

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2016, 11:26:45 PM »
Wow, really great!  My walls by themselves are a bit boring to be honest, with limited variety - the combination definitely helps with that.