Author Topic: How to trigger an event by looking?  (Read 692 times)

Offline Adam

How to trigger an event by looking?
« on: October 24, 2015, 05:57:11 PM »
A beginners question again: how do I let an event trigger when the player is "looking"? I thought simply selecting "Party is searching" for event trigger will do the trick, but that does not do the trick.

I have a slight suspicion that my FRUA version is flawed - I cannot run HACKCKIT due to an unrecognizable CKIT file size.

As a sidenote: the mentioned event (with "Party is searching" as trigger) does not trigger if the party starts to search in the cell of the event. Just by stepping into the cell with searching on. Is this the normal behaviour?

Offline Dorateen

Re: How to trigger an event by looking?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 06:32:36 PM »
I believe "While Party is Searching" is what you want. Search and Look perform similar functions, but search is continuous. In the case where the party starts on a cell, they would need to "Look" in order to trigger the event.

Look has the side effect/benefit of firing any active event from the square the player is standing on. Good for thorough players who like to examine every corner twice.
"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 06:43:35 PM »
Events set to "Party Searching" trigger in two circumstances:
1. When "Search" mode is on and the party enters the cell; and
2. When "Look" is pressed while the party is in the cell.

So, if the party has already entered the cell, selecting "Search" will turn on "search" mode, but does not cause the party to actually conduct a  search of the cell they are in - it only takes effect when the party takes a step.

Offline Adam

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 04:44:32 PM »
So this means my copy is probably bugged. I have to get a new one from gog it seams...

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 05:47:18 PM »
From what you've said, I don't think your copy has a bug. What you've described sounds like the standard behaviour. If you select "LOOK" while inside a square, rather than "SEARCH", your event should trigger. If you select "SEARCH" when you are already in the square with the event, it will only trigger if you leave the square and come back to it. Or are you saying that the event will not trigger for you when you select "LOOK"?

Offline Adam

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 07:09:47 PM »
Yes, "look" never triggers events with "While Party is Searching".

Edit: After a FRUA reinstall everything works fine!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 04:20:20 PM by Adam »

anything