Author Topic: Invisibility  (Read 904 times)

Offline PetrusOctavianus

Invisibility
« on: September 17, 2015, 12:21:15 PM »
So why can enemies (regular humanoids) target my character (before they even act in a round) with Rings of Invisibilty, when I can't target a Master Thief with the same Ring?
Known bug, or "undocumented design feature"?

Offline hans

Re: Invisibility
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 03:15:45 PM »
So why can enemies (regular humanoids) target my character (before they even act in a round) with Rings of Invisibilty, when I can't target a Master Thief with the same Ring?

Did you just put the ring on, or have you worn it through a previous fight?  I think you have to recharge the Invisibility spell by taking the ring off and putting it back on, because it wears off like the normal Mage spell.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 05:08:50 AM »

Did you just put the ring on, or have you worn it through a previous fight?  I think you have to recharge the Invisibility spell by taking the ring off and putting it back on, because it wears off like the normal Mage spell.

Hmm...that's weird, 'cause the other effect of invisibility - being able to move away from melee without provoking opportunity attacks - always work (unless enemies can See Invisible). And

If I have to re-quip the rings after each combat, it will be like the Buck Rogers games where you had to reload the heavy weapons (grenade launcher and plasma throwers) after each battle manually, which was rather tedious.

Anyway, I just tested, and the enemies can still target my characters with spells, even if my character has unequipped and ree-quipped the ring, and not acted yet in a round.
So it looks like Invisibility is bugged.

I haven't tried the Invisibility spell or potion, though. Maybe that will work differently.

EDIT: looks like you can move next to an enemy on Guard, and not trigger it if wearing a Ring of Invisibility.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 08:12:20 AM by PetrusOctavianus »

Offline hans

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 10:31:07 AM »
Perhaps the problem is in the enemy, then.  Could it be that they have the See Invisible SpecAb, --even if it is not listed as one they possess? 

Have you tried some different Monsters to see if they all react to your Invisibles the same way?

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 11:06:10 AM »
I don't think we all understand how invisibility works. We know the spell is dispelled if you attack or cast a spell, but the ring...?

As far as I can tell, effects of invisbility are: does not provoke attacks of opportunity, cannot be targeted specifically by a spell (but  can be hit by area of effect spell).

The ring of invisibility supposedly recasts it every round, so you can be attacked after you attack, but not before you attack. Can anyone verify this?

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 05:45:26 AM »
In my exerience the Ring of invisibility works as it should, except that the wearer (if a player character) can be targeted by normal enemies by spells and missiles, before the wearer has even acted in the round.
I know they are normal enemies without See Invisible, 'cause moving in and out of meele without provoking Opportunity Attacks work (it doesn't work against Hell Hounds, for instance).
I got RoIs for all my characters from Master Thieves, who couldn't be targeted the few times my characters acted first in the round.

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 04:53:43 PM »
That's interesting. I sent Sir Testgal (without maximum strength) up against a beholder wearing rings of blinking and invisibility. Most of the time she was unattackable, but once every so often it would gaze and kill her. My guess was that if at actually uses a ten segment system, if they acted in the same segment it might not trigger either protective condition and the beholder might be able to attack. Can you think of any way to verify?

anything