Poll

How many default wall slots should be used?

1 (11.1%)
1 (11.1%)
any number
0 (0%)
any number as long as consistent across all three resolutions
7 (77.8%)
doesn't matter / don't care
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Default walls number for the default art that comes with DC  (Read 1280 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Default walls number for the default art that comes with DC
« on: April 12, 2014, 10:20:24 AM »
Let me explain the first two responses for those unfamiliar with how the DC wall editor looks. The DC wall editor presents tabs of 16 walls at a time, with the thie first slot of the first tab being blank.

This poll is only in regards to the default art for DC.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: Default walls number for the default art that comes with DC
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 12:33:44 PM »
I'm afraid I still don't understand what you're asking.  Can you explain it a little more clearly for those of us who are a little slow?   ;D
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 01:21:02 PM »
I am trying to figure out how many wall slots should come preloaded. :) DC displays 16 at a time and we need to leave the first one blank, hence 15 and 31 as options. I hope that is clearer.

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 08:22:27 PM »
I voted any number consistant, but I figure 15 is comparable to FRUA

ST

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 09:27:46 PM »
My thinking was that 15 is a good number to  get started with, and then we can point out the Wallgen tool, and of course Dinonykos website if a person needs to add more and is not doing their own art. 15 os a;sp a reaspmanle number to do across 3 resolutions. Dinonykos has done a lot for the higher resolution with these new walls and doors. I am working on a wall now that goes with his grey stone, because I can't let him have all of the fun. :D

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 02:48:25 PM »
I voted "any number as long as their consistent across resolutions." 

The reason for this is simple.  Having a "Vanilla" version of DC to build with would be a really great thing to get people building right out of the gate without having to fumble around looking for art assets.  Some users might prefer to have all that sort of stuff already in the toolset, working as it should, without any additional work on their part.  And a lot of RPG toolsets are like that anyway.

Some people might find it daunting to have to seek out and figure out how to get the walls they want versus having a whole lot of them already available and ready to go.  Not everyone is like the people on this forum.

I think the same could be said for backdrops and other art assets as well.  Give a base version with a lot of art that people can work with if they want to.  Those who are more experienced will find it trivial to change everything to suit their needs. 

By the way, if you're looking for a pool of small pics, feel free to use any of the ones I've posted here to include in DC (some are 90% your work anyway, so you can make the calls on that).  ;D

LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 03:30:53 PM »
I hear you, understand and agree. The other consideratin that I am placing on the default art, well two considerations, are that it is thematicall similar as as possible and that the art meets GPL / OS standards (in other words all teh art is free to use).

I plan on using at least 7 backdrop slots, but maybe more. I have some experimenting to do and perhaps I can duplicate the Dinonykos/Uatu style enough for backdrops and walls to add some of my own. We have a lot of small pics thanks to Uatu. He has more available, some of which may get included, though I think I pretty much hae what I want from him - unless he does some more portraits of humans and demi=humans, and then I will definitely add those. :) Small pics are also the easist to add, as it's pretty much "take an image and make it's dimension x by z and load into event."

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 06:27:55 PM »
Okay, there werew only two specific votes for number of walls, and I voted the lower value. ;) I think we will use 31, because I am already past 15 slots being used. I know that some of what I am using will be replaced, because I just made a placeholder version, but not counting those, still over 15. :D

Thanks for the feeedback, and thank you Dinonykos and Uatu for the walls. :D