Author Topic: RELEASED: VANILLA DUNGEON  (Read 4648 times)

Offline hans

Re: RELEASED: VANILLA DUNGEON
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 01:25:58 PM »
Is the pre-made party optional or required?

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 01:48:42 PM »
LOL. Required, sadly, or most of the dialogue won't make sense. You can make your own group of 4, of course, and you'll probably have an easier time with the game. ;)

I think I should have sent this to more people before indulging my penchant for absurdism. I assure you my next work will be a lot less frustrating...

Feel free to cut this down to 3 of each monster type in the first fight....this has been suggested to me and will be in the final version.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 01:53:42 PM by Null Null »

Offline hans

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 01:59:10 PM »
As a rule, hacked mods get into the line to be played ahead of non-hacked, for me, and vanillas usually go straight to the end of that line.  But the humor and chance for some challenging combats intrigues me. 

I will have to spice it up, however, with Vix's Artswaps.   ;)   

One last question:  Your docs say that there are no Ckit hacks, yet I notice a Diff.tbl file (albeit only 1kb).  Was there a minor change made?

Offline Null Null

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 02:43:48 PM »
I think I suppressed copy protection to make editing go faster (what's the sixth word after 'welcome' again? my manual's in my folks' house 800 miles away). Feel free to remove.

Offline uydevotee

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 08:46:52 PM »
I'm on the 6th-7th dungeons levels
is there a place to train clerics? my guys are at 110k xp and it would save on resets if they could get to lvl 7 and cure poisons

Offline Null Null

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 09:23:29 PM »
You couldn't train with the temple in the town?

Offline uydevotee

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 12:39:31 AM »
I suppose not

its not so bad, I have this helpful paladin who joined; who probably was supposed to be there for just one dungeon level but I left one of the rooms intact and she hasn't left yet. She may have said something about leaving at some point but remained all the same.

Offline Null Null

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 06:45:41 AM »
Did you bring back Kallithrea, alive? She was supposed to upgrade your healing in the temple and give you the chance to train...something to make the town change a little and give a sense of realism.

If you got her killed, I'd call it a design error, stick a training hall in there, and the revised version will nag you to bring her back ALIVE. (I did this in Library of Segrob...one playtester used some scrolls with a custom spell on them instead of scribing them for future use, so I had the bookish main character exclaim that she had a new spell to learn. ;) )

Offline uydevotee

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 09:43:43 AM »
Did you bring back Kallithrea, alive? She was supposed to upgrade your healing in the temple and give you the chance to train...something to make the town change a little and give a sense of realism.

I'll try that, I rushed through the early levels

Offline hans

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 11:36:48 PM »
I've triumphed, at last! --but I will post my comments on this thread, rather than the REVIEW section, Null Null, as if I were only playtesting your mod. 

You see, I'm afraid that few FRUAites will finish it in its current condition, due to the extreme difficulty of some of the combats.  Particularly, from level 8 and down, there are a number of fights that are close to unwinnable: 

20 Vampires, coming in from three directions, and getting surprised by a group that includes 2 Wizards with DB Fireballs being among the top. 

There are also tough fights that can be avoided (such as against 30 Iron Golems), but which a player has no means of so knowing, unless they go a different path, first.  If you would have one of the ready-made PCs drop a clue before hand, that one path is wiser than another, you might save potential players much frustration. 

You might also add a comment at the beginning of the mod, to clue your players that they might want to make sure that Lara, the cleric, has some spells memorized before they take even one step forward...

I enjoy a good challenge, so the harder combats were pleasing to me (despite many reloads when my luck was not just right), but I fear that they will prove too frustrating for most players. 

It would be a shame to lose them on that account, as otherwise there is much to recommend the mod.  The overall layouts and individual dungeons are imaginative and well-thought-out.  The backstory/relationship of the main baddies has a nice twist.  And the use of a large variety helped keep meeting up (yet again) with UA's standard monsters from becoming boring.

The occassional commentary/dialog from the pre-made party members was also quite nice, tho rather sparse for my tastes.  More interaction between the characters, and maybe with the NPCs, could increase the entertainment value.  Plus, as I mentioned, more clues and tips could be dropped for the players. 

Like uydevotee, I also stumbled upon the "lich defeated" bug, where he appears and threatens us as we entered his castle, but has already been "defeated" by the immediately following text declaration.

I do want to thank you for the fun time, Null Null, as I did enjoy myself playing this mod.   ;D

Offline hans

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2014, 10:19:29 AM »
This is additional to the above.  There may be another bug, but I would seek confirmation to make sure it isn't just a corruption of the copy on my HD... 

On level 2, when I fight the other adventurers (nice touch, btw), two Arderiels appear and fight on our side, but not as NPC Arderiels, as their combat icons are those of the Acolyte.  IIRC, that happens twice on the level, but after the fight everything was back to normal.  Strange thing.

Offline Null Null

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2014, 04:28:50 PM »
So...um...this is a little weird.

First of all, thanks for your advice! It's hard to get honest criticism sometimes.

I fixed the rest of the bugs you mention (though I'm still trying to figure out what to do about the vampires), but I can't delete the 'lich defeated' event. Really. I delete it, you open up the zone event and it says it's not there, but it still offers you the opportunity to leave!

The event, logically speaking, shouldn't even fire--it's set to only do so if you have Quest 40. I tried writing the file somewhere else, but it still has the invisible event giving you the chance to leave! Does anyone have any ideas?

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2014, 08:21:21 PM »
So...um...this is a little weird.

I fixed the rest of the bugs you mention (though I'm still trying to figure out what to do about the vampires), but I can't delete the 'lich defeated' event. Really. I delete it, you open up the zone event and it says it's not there, but it still offers you the opportunity to leave!

The event, logically speaking, shouldn't even fire--it's set to only do so if you have Quest 40. I tried writing the file somewhere else, but it still has the invisible event giving you the chance to leave! Does anyone have any ideas?

Did you delete the lich's phylactery, too?  ;p

Offline Null Null

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2014, 08:30:40 PM »
Ha-ha. I thought you'd at least give me credit for having a female archvillain. ;)

Edit: OK, I remember now.

The pool WAS the phylactery, and you ruin it by stepping in it (which of course kills your character). This has now been explained.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:10:38 PM by Null Null »

Offline OutoftheBlue

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2015, 10:54:08 PM »
how did you make the custom spell list for the mage pc?