Author Topic: Any save game editors?  (Read 4220 times)

Offline PetrusOctavianus

Any save game editors?
« on: August 13, 2013, 11:50:43 PM »
Playing Night of the Basilisk my Cleric was hit by a Cause Disease spell, which not only lowered his STR permanently, but also Helpless.
What is the best way of removing the Helpless status and correct the STR?

BTW, is really Cause Disease supposed to lower STR permanently? The same thing happened in Gateway to the Savage Frontier, but I shrugged it off as a bug.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 03:58:57 AM by PetrusOctavianus »

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
Re: Any save game editors?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 11:54:29 AM »
Did you try casting "Cure Disease" and/or visiting a Temple?
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 12:48:23 PM »
Did you try casting "Cure Disease" and/or visiting a Temple?

Yes, both Paladin cure and Temple cure. It removes "Diseased" from the Magical Display, but STR is still 10*, originally 16, and the character starts Helpless in next combat.

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 02:17:18 PM »
The effect sounds like "Bestow Curse".  It could also be a change of the Mummy Disease permanent ability loss from charisma to strength.

A temple with free healing and level 7 spells might fix it.
Bart Jackson's CharEdit program should fix it.
CCHFORM.txt will show you to fix it with a hex editor.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline bravedogbfg

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 06:52:57 PM »
Can you just import you character from an earlier save?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 07:12:35 PM »
If this isn't normal behavior, then this sounds like a weird bug.  In all the years since I released the game, I haven't heard anyone say that this was a problem, and no one caught it during the play test either.  Additionally, I would imagine that it would have reared its head in other modules over these past 20 years.

Are you running any additional hacks while playing the module?  Did you implement anything (like the FRUA 1.3 hack)?
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 01:15:04 AM »
If this isn't normal behavior, then this sounds like a weird bug.  In all the years since I released the game, I haven't heard anyone say that this was a problem, and no one caught it during the play test either.  Additionally, I would imagine that it would have reared its head in other modules over these past 20 years.

Are you running any additional hacks while playing the module?  Did you implement anything (like the FRUA 1.3 hack)?

No 1.3 hack AFAIK. But I've made some changes to CKIT.exe, like fixing the Thieves' saving throws.

Nologgie, I'll try your suggestions later.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 01:26:23 PM »
The CharEdit program was an annoying 16 bit program that needs to be run from a Dos prompt. So no use in 64 bit Win 7 or DosBox. And my cordless keyboard doesn't work in Win XP using Virtual Box.

Editing in a free Temple cured the Disease, and unlike the Paladin's Cure it also restored the STR to 12 (not 16 as I mistakenly thought it was).

But the character was still helpless.

Can you just import you character from an earlier save?

In the end it turned out it was easiest to just mess around with save games.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 02:28:07 PM »
Turned out the Helpless status was permanent, even after being knocked down.
But I did manage to fix it using a Hex Editor and using the compare files function I narrowed it down to offsets 4-7.
  4-7   Special Ability:
                0/0/0/0 if no special abilities
                0/0/254/104 (or any other non-zero value) if one or more
                   special abilities

Turning them all into 0 finally removed the Helpless status.

All this trouble just because I didn't want to do that fight all over again... ::)

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 09:00:43 PM »
Specab.txt says that special ability 31 is Helpless...
Need to remember this for the next time someone is stuffed around by a bug.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 03:29:38 AM »
Night of the Basilisk turned up to be an uphill struggle for a non-cheating playthrough with non-maxed characters.
We are facing several groups of Cause Disease, Cause Blindness and Bestow Curse spamming enemy clerics, but no way to cure or pay for cure, due to severe lack of money to play for Temple services or Training Halls, or even more arrows.

Now my Paladin got Diseased, and again the character turns permanently Helpless once reduced to 1 HP (he takes 1 damage every 10 steps or so).

Oh well, maybe I should cheat, since the enemy Clerics are cheating. How can level 4 Clerics spam so many Cause Diesease, Bestow Curse and Dispel Magic spells?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 03:58:32 AM by PetrusOctavianus »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 07:06:31 AM »
I'm fairly certain that Paladins are immune to disease...and that they can also remove disease...

Additionally, I loaded the module after your review and played the beginning of it again with an unmodified party.  When hit by "Cause Disease," my characters did not become helpless, they just took some extra damage from the disease on occasion.  So, I'm not sure what's going on there.  It's possible that your modified ckit.exe files is causing your some grief.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 07:51:27 AM by ProphetSword »

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 10:29:51 AM »
I'm fairly certain that Paladins are immune to disease...and that they can also remove disease...

Additionally, I loaded the module after your review and played the beginning of it again with an unmodified party.  When hit by "Cause Disease," my characters did not become helpless, they just took some extra damage from the disease on occasion.  So, I'm not sure what's going on there.

Did they get down to 1 HP? That's when my guys became Helpless, when I thought they would drop down to 0 HP.

It's possible that your modified ckit.exe files is causing your some grief.

Unfortunately I can't check my settings with HackCKIT.exe. First it complained about one missing file, which I installed. Then it complained about "comdlg32.ocx: 'A File is Missing or Invalid' error. After I fixed that I just get an "unexpected error". I knew it worked fine on my old Windows XP machine, but even using Virtual Box I get the same "comdlg32.ocx" error.
Using DosBox from the FRUA/Programs folder I get the message
"Unable to change to: PROGRAMS.
Error --  Hack CKIT program not found in PROGRAMS subdirectory"

I copied HackCKIT and renamed it "Hack CKIT", but got same error message.

I'm starting to hate Win 7...only good thing about it is the extra 14 GBs of RAM.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 12:12:34 PM »
Oh well, maybe I should cheat, since the enemy Clerics are cheating. How can level 4 Clerics spam so many Cause Diesease, Bestow Curse and Dispel Magic spells?

Bestow Curse, Cause Blindness, Cause Disease, and Dispel Magic are all 3rd level spells. To cast 4 of them, a Cleric with a 17+ Wisdom would need to be 8th level.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 06:21:17 PM »
If there are any takers, I would love to have someone play test an updated version of the module (called "Night of the Basilisk - Remix").  I've made some changes, and will make some additional changes based on feedback that I receive.  Here are the changes I've made so far:

* Changed the frame.  What looked good in 1994 does not look good today.
* Changed the font.  Much easier to read now.
* Gave the party better equipment.
* Gave the party more starting XP to help augment some of the tough fights.
* Tweaked the spells of the clerics of Loviatar and reduced their overall level (what the hell was I thinking back then?)
* Removed the "Potion of Giant Strength" from the shop, which is known to be buggy (didn't know that when the game was made).
* Added some updated sound files.

Anyone interested?  I'd really like to balance the module the way that it should be balanced.

Things I'm considering:

* Adding FRUA 1.3
* Adding a few side-quests (if I have time)
* Updating some of the artwork

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 06:23:38 PM by ProphetSword »

anything