Author Topic: Disintegration and unforseen effects  (Read 1572 times)

Offline PetrusOctavianus

Disintegration and unforseen effects
« on: June 14, 2013, 08:36:54 PM »
My Cleric got Disentegrated by a spell and all his items disappeared. But after resurrecting him the Magic Display says he retains all the effects from the items he had equipped: Boots of Speed, Rings of Elecrical Immunity and Fire Resistance and Cloak of Displacement.
Interestingly he does not get the AC bonus from the Boots of Speed and the Cloak, but he does get the double movement from the Boots.
I have a vague recollection of this bug being mentioned before, but is there any way to "reset" the character? It feels like cheating if he gets the movement bonus and resistances without having the items equipped.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: Disintegration and unforseen effects
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 09:41:46 PM »
Perhaps when he was disintegrated and turned to dust, some of his molecules mixed with the charred remains of the magical items.  Being raised from the dead imbued him with special abilities beyond mortal men. 

In all seriousness, I wonder if the effects would be removed if you equipped new stuff in the same slots (like a different set of magical boots).
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 11:01:20 PM »
The method Ben S. described is the easiest I know of.

In this case, add a shop with free items like the ones you lost.
When you ready, then unready the items the effects should be removed.
Drop the items, save, and delete the shop, and it should all be cleaned up.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 07:59:10 AM »
Perhaps when he was disintegrated and turned to dust, some of his molecules mixed with the charred remains of the magical items.  Being raised from the dead imbued him with special abilities beyond mortal men. 

Heh, I was thinking along the same lines myself. Like the "intrinsics" in NetHack, maybe.

In all seriousness, I wonder if the effects would be removed if you equipped new stuff in the same slots (like a different set of magical boots).

Doesn't work.  :(
Oh well, it's not important. I only have one suitable module to import my characters to, and that module looks rather silly.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 08:39:37 AM »
If you're playing fair, you could simply allow him to have the effects as if he was wearing those items and not equip new items in those slots.  Then it would just be like you never lost the items.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline hans

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 11:08:57 AM »
Couldn't you just recreate your character with the exact same stats & experience, and replace the wonky one? 

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 12:44:35 PM »
Couldn't you just recreate your character with the exact same stats & experience, and replace the wonky one?

That's the solution.
I can just change the starting XP for newly generated characters to excactly match that of my old character, and then modify the stats.
Thanks!

Offline Amarande

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 09:34:21 PM »
Hmmm ... On this topic, now I wonder if this is why Dark Queen had Disintegrate turn characters to Gone status instead of Dead?

(At least I seem to remember this is the case in DQ, as Vampire Mages would cast Disintegrate fairly often - which I probably shouldn't complain about since it has such a high fail rate, and it means they don't cast Instant Blast Tactical Nuke er I mean DBF like every other mage in that game did at the first opportunity ... still, it was a major thing especially given that the vampire mages were especially difficult to lock down en masse, thanks to being almost completely immune to AoE due to Fire Shield + natural immunities)

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 06:05:05 PM »
It's possible the Krynn setting uses slightly different rules than the FR setting. Or the different designers just interpreted things differently. There were always those annoying difference from game to game how certain items (Wand especially) and spells (Dispel Magic in particular) would work.

Offline Ishad Nha

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 03:40:06 AM »
Try Ice Storm on Vampire Mages, it will disrupt their spells even if the damage is not great.
In DQK, Elven PCs could never be resurrected, if they were killed they were always Gone.

Offline Null Null

• Maker of excessively difficult vanilla mods
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 07:06:56 PM »
Does this work in FRUA? It could be part of the ritual for attaining godhood.

anything