Author Topic: This was weird...  (Read 1442 times)

Offline PetrusOctavianus

This was weird...
« on: April 26, 2013, 09:48:36 PM »
My Paladin and Ranger can't equip Leather Armour ("Wrong class") and the Paladin doesn't get the option to Turn Undead in battle.
I'm playing an unhacked module, but before that I Applied the hacked module B4: The Lost City.
Any ideas?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 10:00:12 PM by PetrusOctavianus »

Offline Ray

Re: This was weird...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 10:20:17 PM »

In Lost City, both those folks should have been able to equip that armor.  I hacked default FRUA, which has some interesting class restrictions on gear, to allow that in all Realm games.  (Of course, that's assuming you were playing my Lost City.  I know Olivier made a GORGEOUS version of it, too, and there are bound to be other translations of that classic module out there that I'm forgetting).

I'm sure someone can provide greater detail, but FRUA comes pre-packaged with some interesting rules.  Some of them are idiosyncrasies in 1E and 2E rules.  Others, like the Ranger's armor options, are just coding errors. 

I thought that the patch that SSI released before they dropped support for FRUA corrected the Ranger armor issue, but it sounds like I'm mistaken.  It's been an awful long time since folks went through and found all that stuff.  It's all catalogued in the earliest FRUA Newsletters, I'm pretty sure.  It's interesting to see a lot of the questions from the late 90s returning again as new folks come across the game!

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 10:53:23 PM »
So Rangers not being able to wear Leather is a know bug?
This is the first time I can remember having a Ranger trying on Leather, but it was only because he had the best Dex and was in the back row using a bow, and my party only had a selection of Leather, Ring Mail and Scale Armour.

But I thought it was weird that both the problem with equipping Leather and my Paladin not being able to Turn Undead should happen at the same time, and I thought about what could have caused it. And I recalled rolling up a character for a Let's Play of your Lost City module: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/lets-play-forgotten-realms-unlimited-adventures-module-b4-the-lost-city.82545/

So I figured maybe UAShell messed up the "dehacking" when switching back to a non-hacked module.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 10:58:36 PM by PetrusOctavianus »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 06:41:58 AM »
You know, I started playing "The Sect" last night and had the exact same issue...neither my Paladin nor Ranger could equip Leather Armor.  Like you, I don't know if I had ever tried to equip Leather on them before...but my recollection of the AD&D rules is that they should be able to wear any armor.  So, I was a little annoyed by it.

LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Ray

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 09:12:06 AM »

I totally remember this in a document that I read when I was creating the Realm hack (back in 1997, so this is reaching waaaaay back in the Duder's brain here). 

Basically, they had intended Ranger's to be able to wear any armor, Chainmail or worse.  Instead, he was created able to wear any armor, Chainmail or BETTER.

And the rest is (frustrating) history! 

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 01:38:09 PM »
A document about Unlimited Adventures?

Offline Ray

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 11:33:36 PM »

One of the hack docs that came with the editors back then, or possibly a UANL article.  Maybe both?

Back then there were always so many conversations going on, and new designs and new editors coming out left and right.  You remember it, Ben.  It was like standing in a river and just letting it rush around you.  Those were the days...   :D

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 01:28:05 PM »
Luckily, there's still some of that going on.  Maybe the current isn't as fast as it used to be, but this river hasn't gone stagnant yet!  :D

Offline hans

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 03:14:05 PM »

One of the hack docs that came with the editors back then, or possibly a UANL article.  Maybe both?

Back then there were always so many conversations going on, and new designs and new editors coming out left and right.  You remember it, Ben.  It was like standing in a river and just letting it rush around you.  Those were the days...   :D

As I recall, the lion's share of new designs was coming from your direction, Ray.  You would've been a river all by yourself.  Any chance we might see some more designs from you, soon...?   ;)

Offline Ray

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 04:04:43 PM »
Luckily, there's still some of that going on.  Maybe the current isn't as fast as it used to be, but this river hasn't gone stagnant yet!  :D

Amen to that!

As I recall, the lion's share of new designs was coming from your direction, Ray.  You would've been a river all by yourself.  Any chance we might see some more designs from you, soon...?   ;)

Never say never, Hans.  I have a bunch of ideas of things that I could make some time, and I keep seeing new walls and other art that would be so much fun to use. 

My P&P campaign is coming to a close around September; I've been running it since 1999 and the characters are going to be nearing 30th level by the time we reach the final adventures.  (When we started it, I used to make fun of people who said things like, "I play a 30th-level wizard," but it turns out that playing the same characters for almost 15 years will do that to a PC...)  After that I'll be running a new low-level game, which is soooo soooo soooooooo much easier to plan for!  I'll have to divide my free time between Maureen, our little girl, and the new game, but after giving some extra time to each I'm hopeful that I might be able to look into some of those FRUA games I've been putting off for so long.

At the very least, I will be playing Nol's new designs!!!

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 04:56:08 AM »
:) Great

anything