Author Topic: Do any of the FRUA programs affect the Registery?  (Read 917 times)

Offline PetrusOctavianus

Do any of the FRUA programs affect the Registery?
« on: January 02, 2013, 10:50:56 AM »
The CPU of  my old computer died, but I was able to transfer the files of the old hard disk to an external HD and from the external HD to my new computer.
Now I want to play FRUA again, and I remember it being quite a bit of research and work to get everything working purrfectly, with UAShell and various patches.
I hope I can just copy over my entire FRUA folder click on the relevant file without having to reinstall everything?
Also, since I didn't think of copying over the short cuts from the desktop, I've forgotten which file actually starts the (hacked) game. Is it CKIT.exe?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: Do any of the FRUA programs affect the Registery?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 11:04:57 AM »
You should be able to copy the entire folder over and it will continue to work as it always has.  It does not affect the Windows registry in any way; because, it is a DOS program from 1993.  Are you using DOSBox or an actual Windows machine in DOS mode?
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 11:22:44 AM »
I'm using DosBox D-Fend Reloaded. I had forgotten about that added complication.
I copied over the entire D-Fend Reloaded folders as well, so I guess it's just a matter of placing all the files in the right folders.

EDIT:
Yay, that worked flawlessly!   :)

And being used to Windows XP, I must say that the Windows 8 file transfer in Explorer is a huge improvement, both in speed and user friendlieness.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 10:26:16 PM by PetrusOctavianus »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 04:25:54 PM »
You did exactly what I do.  I keep all my DOS stuff together in one large directory (which I mount as a drive in DOSBox), and all the D-Fend stuff in another folder.  When I move them from computer to computer (which I frequently do when passing stuff to my laptop), I just move all the directories and make sure they are on a drive with the same letter (usually drive D).  When doing that, everything works right out of the box.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/