Author Topic: Backstabbing in Plate? Turn around when being shot?  (Read 1221 times)

Offline PetrusOctavianus

Backstabbing in Plate? Turn around when being shot?
« on: November 19, 2012, 05:10:37 PM »
I'm noticed this is the Gold Box games too, but only now when fighting lots and lots of pirates (Fighter/Thieves) has it become a problem. Pirate Leaders with 18 DEX shoot at my guys with bows, my guys turn their asses backs to the enemy, and the less dextrous melee pirates (armed in Plate no less) move in and -BACKSTAB- them.

So why do my guys turn around? The enemies don't turn around when I shoot them.
Is it a bug, or an undocumented design feature?

And why can backstabbing be done by characters wearing Plate Armour in FRUA?
<Sigh> I'm so sick and tired of the differences in rules between the indidvidual Gold Box games and FRUA. Was is really so bloody hard to make the rules and stick with them?   >:(

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:12:10 PM by PetrusOctavianus »

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Backstabbing in Plate? Turn around when being shot?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 05:30:02 PM »
Was is really so bloody hard to make the rules and stick with them?   >:(

Apparently it was.  FRUA is just the last in the line of game-to-game changes.

I like to think thievery in heavy armor was allowed due to limits on the the size of the code.  I don't know that this was the case, but you can't cover everything in less than 640k.

I've seen characters 'reverse' while being shot at, but I never noticed one being backstabbed afterward.  What design are you playing?
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 05:34:12 PM »

I've seen characters 'reverse' while being shot at, but I never noticed one being backstabbed afterward.  What design are you playing?

Marauders of Triangle Bay.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 08:42:30 AM »
Marauders of Triangle Bay.

Seems as though my devious scheme is working.  If only I could remember what it was...
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline KTG

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 09:25:28 PM »
I've had many a PC Fighter/Thief in Plate backstabbing enemies.  Once in a while I've also used a ranged PC to shoot an enemy to turn him around and set up a backstab.  So, it works both ways - it can be done by you and to you.  I can't recall if backstabbing in Plate contradicts the 1E official rules or not.  It probably does.
If you're trying to set up a backstab by turning an enemy around with a ranged attacker, try to shoot directly opposite, or very close to directly opposite, where the thief will attack.  The same would go for setting up a backstab with a melee attacker, but that case is usually more obvious than ranged.

anything