Author Topic: Why are allies Evil?  (Read 1116 times)

Offline PetrusOctavianus

Why are allies Evil?
« on: October 27, 2012, 10:19:16 PM »
I remember vewing the Solamnic Knight allies in Death Knights of Krynn and thinking how stupid it was that they were of Evil alignment. I thought it was just a mistake, though.
But now I've seen evil soldier type allies (who are supposed to be fighting the good fight) in several FRUA modules. Are all "monsters" set to be Evil be default, or am I missing something very subtle?

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Why are allies Evil?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 11:58:11 PM »
Most, but not all, character type 'monsters' are set to evil.
Most NPCs are neutral or good.

I suspect the basic 'monster' template was set to evil, at least in part because that is how I would do it.

I never noticed the Solamnic Knights in Death Knights were chaotic evil until you mentioned it.  (No longer any need to feel bad about fireballing them when they were in my way. ;D )

In my unfinished modules I never bothered changing the alignment of allies.  Now I'm wondering if any designers did.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Jadefang

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 05:39:26 AM »
Death Knights of Krynn also had a Chaotic Evil copper dragon ally...so I guess it was just an oversight.

Speaking of FRUA modules, a pet peeve of mine that developed from playing some designs was that some designers never bothered to alter the equipment of joinable NPCs they renamed, so you could often guess who a custom NPC replaced based on their items.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 05:44:47 AM by Jadefang »

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 01:19:31 PM »
In my unfinished modules I never bothered changing the alignment of allies.  Now I'm wondering if any designers did.

I certainly did.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 04:32:00 PM »

I certainly did.

:D :D :D  You, Olivier, and hans topped my suspect list of designers who would.  Checking would take a while.  I've played most of the designs in the archive, and never thought to look.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 02:19:02 PM »
:D :D :D  You, Olivier, and hans topped my suspect list of designers who would. 

:D

To tell the truth, I'm not sure if I did, but I wouldn't put it past me.  ;)