Author Topic: REVIEW: 4 Marvel Comics Packs by Ernie  (Read 870 times)

Offline hans

REVIEW: 4 Marvel Comics Packs by Ernie
« on: October 02, 2010, 10:11:28 PM »
(Part 1)

Hi, everybody! 

Four long-thought-lost art packs by Ernie Engebretson have been rediscovered by Nol Drek.  These are Marvall1-3 (Marvel Comics character pics) and Marvbig2 (Marvel Big Pics & Title Pics).  There's a lot of art in these collections, combining both famous and obscure heroes and villains from the Marvel universe, all now available at the UA File Archive (http://frua.rosedragon.org/).

My favorites from Marvall1.zip include:

PMBISHP3.PCX:  The X-Men's Bishop, painted art by, I believe, one of the Hildebrandt brothers.  The Hildebrandts are masters at using light and colors to convey moods.  Here, the effect is of rage and power.
[edit: My mistake, looking again, it's clearly the work of the underrated Bob Larkin.] 

PMCAPUNI.PCX:  Captain Universe.  Every element here promotes a sleekness and fluidity to the character in motion.

PMDAZLR1.PCX:  Dazzler.  I've always hated this character, but this painted image has a wonderful soft flow, almost like an art deco sunset.

(click to enlarge)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 10:31:39 PM by hans »

Offline hans

Re: REVIEW: 4 Marvel Comics Packs by Ernie
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 10:12:28 PM »
(Part 2)

My favorites from Marvall2.zip include: 

PMHURICN.PCX:  Hurricane, the 1940s speedy hero.  Wonderfully old school.  The simple, angular lines lend strength to the character's demeanor of resolve. 

PMKNGPN3.PCX:  The Kingpin from a John Romita Sr. image.  Excellent conversion with good, smooth lines & color.  Nice, dramatic angle.

PMMRVBY1.PCX:  Marvel Boy.  Shapes, textures, and colors are all very nicely balanced in one of the currently vogue, superhero art styles. 

« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 10:17:29 PM by hans »

Offline hans

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 10:13:16 PM »
(Part 3)

My favorites from Marvall3.zip include:

PMSENTL1.PCX:  A Sentinel robot.  The gaping expression combined with the tilted angle of perspective suggests the robot has just discovered a wrench in its plans.

PMSMAN_O.PCX:  Peter Parker seemingly over-reacts to a little spider bite.  Wonderfully expressive John Romita Sr. art. 

PMULTRON.PCX:  Ultron's head, starkly black in contrast to internal, atomic green fires.  (Used by D.R.A.K.E., IIRC, as a substitute for Metallo in his mod "Superman Robot No.6.")  Very dramatic. 

« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 10:18:21 PM by hans »

Offline hans

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 10:14:22 PM »
(Part 4 --Finish)

Among my favorites from Marvbig2.zip are: 

BMGLACT2.PCX:  Big Pic of Galactus.  His head fills a third of the image, producing a cramped, intimidating feeling and adding weight to the character. 

TMCAPBK2.PCX:  Captain America and Bucky use machine guns to mow down what appear to be mini-me-sized Japanese sailors, from a WW2-era issue cover.  Politically incorrect for all sorts of just reasons, it still is an impressive composition of elements.  (Notice that Cap, himself, seems to be receiving a bullet to his heart!)  Wild! 

TMSMAN02.PCX:  Spider-man in his black, Venom costume, atmospherically painted by Charles Vess.  Very gothic.

It's great to see these gems rediscovered!  Thanks, Ernie!  And thanks, Nol! 

Until the future,

hans.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 10:19:24 PM by hans »

anything