Author Topic: Ghosts 'n Goblins Font for FRUA  (Read 3229 times)

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
Ghosts 'n Goblins Font for FRUA
« on: August 02, 2010, 05:11:21 PM »
I converted the font from the classic arcade game "Ghosts 'n Goblins" for FRUA.

Screenshot of the game below... you might remember it:

Preview pic and the font itself are attached to this post.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
Re: Ghosts 'n Goblins Font for FRUA
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
Cool! I used to be fairly good at that game.

One caveat - thin fonts in UA are often a bit difficult to read over a long time due to the inherent spacing issues.

Offline Ray

• Tour The Realm!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 07:16:04 PM »

This is so awesome!

This is my favorite Nintendo game of all time.  In fact, I had such fond memories of it that Maureen and I bought a Nintendo last year just to be able to play this game again.  That font looks awesome...Though anyone who has played my Ravenloft conversion will likely warn you against trusting my judgment on such matters...   ;) 

Totally downloading this...

Now, if only there were a few combat icons available of certain "unique" monsters from G&G, that would make an awesome conversion!!!   ;D

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 07:16:57 PM »
I've never seen the game, but the font looks nice.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 05:24:29 AM »
One caveat - thin fonts in UA are often a bit difficult to read over a long time due to the inherent spacing issues.

Yes, I noticed that, too. But only after the font was completed. :D

The font probably works best with games that don't have too much text.
Single lines of text are okay, but a stuffed text box could indeed become hard to read.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 10:07:38 AM »
Very cool! I tried it with long text and I don't mind it all that much. Looks still good and it's perfectly readable. Thumbs up! :)

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 11:42:24 AM »
Very cool! I tried it with long text and I don't mind it all that much. Looks still good and it's perfectly readable. Thumbs up! :)

Thanks! :)

Maybe I'm just too picky...
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 02:23:58 PM »
Don't get me wrong, the font is fantastic.

Offline Krys Tamar

• Prince of Vagabonds
    • Taer Campaign
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 08:21:30 AM »
A lot of those old video game fonts can be converted over to FRUA...most of them look like they're 7x7

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 02:33:43 PM »
A lot of those old video game fonts can be converted over to FRUA...most of them look like they're 7x7

I'm planning on converting some more old video game fonts for FRUA, since I'm still searching for the "ultimate font" to use in my island mod.

It's a pity that FRUA can only display upper case letters. Lower case could do wonders for readability.
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline DesertScrb

• Another day, another dungeon.
    • Super Galactic Dreadnought blog
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 08:38:28 PM »
Check the UA Newsletter--I think a font using upper- and lower-case characters is possible.  Or maybe I'm just remembering some discussion about it on the mailing list.

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 12:04:16 AM »
Got back from a loooong trip yesterday and still sorting through piles of forumstuffs... off the top of me head, tho:

Check the UA Newsletter--I think a font using upper- and lower-case characters is possible.  Or maybe I'm just remembering some discussion about it on the mailing list.

FRUA events featuring displayed text default to the upper-case version automatically, and to date there is no ascertained keyswitch via ckit.exe editing/hexing that circumscribes this.  It has been bandied/theorised that hexediting of the ckit.exe text used by the engine during play (which is all coded in mostly lower-case but does include some upper-case) to all lower-case and retrieval of the program elements which govern the automatic reversion of screen text to upper-case default could result in the availability of both upper- and lower-cases, but that would only apply to that text which manifests within ckit.exe itself, still leaving the problematic remaining -case.

It's a pity that FRUA can only display upper case letters. Lower case could do wonders for readability.

I have done some testing in a faked combination upper/lower-case set but... the results here are mixed in quality/readability/usefulness.

I converted the font from the classic arcade game "Ghosts 'n Goblins" for FRUA.

Just like pics or icons or pretty much anything else FRUA resource-related, we can never have too much of any new fonts.  Nice job on the conversion there Ben!  It looks especially grand when taking advantage of DosBox's customised shell scaler, which Nol Drek thoughfully turned many of us onto some time ago.

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 12:24:44 AM »

Most of the text is stored in compressed format (6 bits per character) which only allows one case.

I seem to recall someone saying they made a font with lower case, and it showed as lower case when they typed it in, but it shifted to upper case when saved.

The only way to change this would be to rewrite all the compression/decompression code in the program and convert all the compressed text in all the files. In addition to being an extremely difficult task, it would reduce the available text by 25%.

If you're up for a simpler challenge, make a font with some selected letters in uppercase (your choice), and the rest in lower case, then use it to write a mod. Using only correct capitalization, of course.  ;)

Thanks to Kaz-Keith's post that went up while I was writing this, you can follow his link to a longer hash-out of this issue.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 02:45:37 AM »
Thanks Kaz and nologgie for explaining this.

So we won't have a real upper case/lower case font that in the text boxes of the game, unless...

If you're up for a simpler challenge, make a font with some selected letters in uppercase (your choice), and the rest in lower case, then use it to write a mod. Using only correct capitalization, of course.  ;)

What could be done is replace all redundant or unused punctuation marks with upper case letters. Warning: This could potentially drive you nuts trying to write a longer mod...
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 03:44:05 AM »
Warning: This could potentially drive you nuts trying to write a longer mod...

If it's possible to write a novel without using the letter "e", why not a FRUA mod?   ;)
(Although the title of the English translation could also be considered as a warning to anyone who toys with such thoughts ...  :D )

anything