Author Topic: Hack request  (Read 1215 times)

Avin

Hack request
« on: July 30, 2009, 01:00:23 PM »
Greetings everyone.
After I stumbled across my old disks for FRAU I decided to start messing around with it again.
I was trying to build a higher level campaign and ran into the trouble with the level cap for non-humans.
I'd like to either remove the level restrictions or at lest double them but using UAShell with out much documentation isn't working well for me.

Would anyone be willing to hack v1.2 FRUA to remove or double the non-human level restrictions for me? Or if some one has all ready done this could you point me to them please?

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
Re: Hack request
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 04:27:53 PM »
Either MBLEVLIM or HACKCKIT will do it. Once installed, either can be accessed through the Editors/CKIT.exe menu, or by pressing (f2).

Using MBLEVLIM:
  First, download mblevlim.zip
http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/hacks/mblevlim.zip

Extract mblevlim.zip into your UA DOWNLOADS directory, and run UAShell. (You should get a message that the Editors have installed successfully.)

Press f2, and click on CKITLIMX.MNY to run the level editor in extract mode. This will write a file named MBLIMITS.TXT into your working .dsn directory. The contents should look something like:

0 0 7 0 0 11 40
5 0 8 0 8 8 40
0 0 9 0 0 0 40
0 0 6 0 0 0 40
0 0 6 0 0 0 40
40 0 40 40 40 40 40

The first entry (40) is the maximum level allowed.
  The order of columns, left to right, are Cleric, Knight, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Magic-User, Thief.
  The order of rows, top to bottom, are Elf, half-Elf, Dwarf, Gnome, Halfling, Human.
  Edit the entries to your desired values, and save the file.

In UAShell, press f2, and click on CKITLIMI.MNY to run the level editor in import mode. A DOS window will open, display the values being imported, and ask if you are sure you want to import these limits. Press (capital) Y, [enter], and [enter] to finish.

Back in UAShell, press [esc], [y] (or click Yes), and follow the prompts. UAShell should have written the files DIFF.TBL and UASOUND.DAT into your .dsn directory.

DIFF.TBL is where your changes are stored. UASOUND.DAT is something UAShell writes which can be safely deleted.

Using HACKCKIT
  HACKCKIT does more, but the installation is more complicated. Download these files:
http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/hacks/hackckit.exe
http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/hacks/HackCKITrel4.zip

Extract hackckit.exe into a temporary directory (Somewhere other than your UA directory.)

In the temporary directory you extracted hackckit.exe to, run setup.exe. This will install HACKCKIT under windows.

Extract and overwrite HackCKITrel4.zip into your windows HACKCKIT directory. (Default is c:\Program Files\Hack CKIT.)

Delete the file HACK CKIT.exe (The one with the space, 265 KB, not the HACKCKIT.exe without the space, 528 KB.)

Open your windows shortcut to HACK CKIT, Browse, and direct it to HACKCKIT.exe.

Copy all the files from your windows HACKCKIT folder to your UA/PROGRAMS folder. (I'm not sure which ones are essential, but this way works.)

Run UAShell, press f2, and double-click CKITHACK.MNY. This should bring up HACKCKIT. If it has a 'Treasure' menu, you have the updated version. You can change the level limits via the level limits menu. See the program notes for other capabilities.

Note: In order to compile and write a DIFF.TBL to the active design, all editors must be run via UAShell. Running HackCKIT from windows can directly edit CKIT.exe, but the changes will be undone the next time UAShell is run.

Tom
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Avin

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 05:14:09 PM »
Thanks for the walkthrough. Once I've got some time I'll let you know how it worked.

As I was reading it one other thing occurred to me. If I change a level value from 0 to any non-0 would that class then show up as a playable class for that race or would there be more editing needed for that? (If more editing is needed I'm really not worried about it enough to do it)

<Edit>
One other question. Will this effect only the module that I'm working with or with this also effect future modules that I make?
</Edit>
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 05:19:29 PM by Avin »

Offline nologgie

• Non-resident Non-expert
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 06:39:18 PM »
If I change a level value from 0 to any non-0 would that class then show up as a playable class for that race or would there be more editing needed for that?

Allowing a level allows the class. Multi-class combinations are limited to those in the character generation menu unless you do more serious hacking.

Changes you make under UAShell are written to a DIFF.TBL in the active design folder, and only apply to the design using that DIFF.TBL. However, if you want to use it in another design, just copy the DIFF.TBL to the new design folder.
Some days it just doesn't pay to gnaw through the straps.

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 07:47:45 PM »
One other question. Will this effect only the module that I'm working with or with this also effect future modules that I make?

That depends on whether you use UAShell or not. If you use UAShell, it's like nologgie said.

If you don't use UAShell at all, the changes to your CKIT will be permanent and will apply for all other designs you play and create on your computer, so don't forget to make a backup copy of your CKIT.exe!

Be aware though that those changes will not be transferable to other people's copy of UA if you don't use UAShell. So if you share your design with other people the class restrictions will be the default ones for them again. 

Avin

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 01:28:56 AM »
I know its a little late, but Thanks for the help. I was able to make the changes I was looking for.