Author Topic: JPG to FRUA  (Read 2322 times)

Offline merikallio

JPG to FRUA
« on: May 08, 2009, 01:41:34 PM »
Hey,

Well, my first desing is still in progress, and I hope it is in point from which there is no turning back:) Art is ready, NPCs and monsters also, some overland map too. I'am shivering when I think about dialogues and chain events. Eh.

But one question. Is there some easy way to convert JPG files into UA mode (ie. creating small and bigpics from JPG art)?

If so, can any of you describe the way step by step, please.

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
Re: JPG to FRUA
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 03:04:45 PM »
I'll see about creating a basic tutorial for that (with images) this weekend. I have bene having problems connecting to the forums. Though it seems less problematic via IE* over Firefox. Still issues, but at elsast I can occasionally get in. *sigh*

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 08:05:29 PM »
My suggestion:

• download IrfanView (Website) (it's free for non-commercial use)
  • open the jpg with it and decrease its color depth to 256 colors (8PP) (Menu: Image)
  • create a custom crop selection of e.g. 89x89 pixels for small pics, 305x121 for big pics (Menu: Edit)
  • save it as pcx (Menu: File, obviously)
  • use UA256 (Readme) to sort the colors for UA

Done!

(The actual pics will be 88x88 and 304x120, but since UA256 will ask for another crop selection, you have to make sure there's at least 1 pixel more in height and width.)

Hope that helps. Vix' tutorial will probably be a lot more precise and professional but if you're impatient you could check out my way while you're waiting for it.  :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 08:08:40 PM by Olivier Leroux »

Offline Vix

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 09:23:49 PM »
Actually, make the images 88x88 and 305x120, then add a 1 pixel border. (90x90 and 306x122)

Also, if you have the ability to reduce colors down to 224, rather than 256, you might save yourself from losing some color skewing from your image.

Offline hans

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 10:37:54 PM »
But one question. Is there some easy way to convert JPG files into UA mode (ie. creating small and bigpics from JPG art)?
If so, can any of you describe the way step by step, please.

This article may look intimidating, but it has lots of good tips about converting pics (you may want to skip the "scanning" part, since you've already got JPGs to work with). 

"Vix's Image Help" from the Unlimited Adventures Newsletter #21:
http://frua.rosedragon.org/pc/uanews/uanl21/artvix.htm

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 06:31:18 AM »
Actually, make the images 88x88 and 305x120, then add a 1 pixel border. (90x90 and 306x122)

Also, if you have the ability to reduce colors down to 224, rather than 256, you might save yourself from losing some color skewing from your image.

Whoops. Of course. Maths, heh.  :-[

Offline merikallio

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 01:55:26 PM »
thanks everyone.

Well, I've tried to use Olivier's solution, but I am stack in last point. When I write the path to the picture in UA256, the system just exit the program. Well, I'll try a little

bit more.

Offline Vix

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 02:59:46 PM »
Your best bet is to have the files you are working with in the same directory as UA256. Make sure the images are in PCX format of 256 colors (224 is optimal, but not required). type the filename you are converting (you do nto need to type the extension .pcx). Make sure to rename the output image to something different. Both files must be named in 8.3 DOS format.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 02:29:28 PM »
Even though this is a really, really old post, I'm hoping someone can help me.  Whenever I use UA256, sometimes the images will skew and look weirdly distorted, even though the original image is fine.  Why does UA256 do that?
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 03:23:30 PM »
I figured it out.  Apparently, I have to make the small-pics exactly 88x88, otherwise UA256 seems to have a fit.  This causes another problem, though, as a black line appears around the art on the right and bottom when it appears in FRUA.  Does anyone know how to work around this limitation?
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline hans

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 03:49:46 PM »
I've never used UA256. 

I reduce my colors in my art program, PaintShopPro ("Xcolors" command, "nearest color" down to 222 colors) and then use Dan Autery's Toolbox proggie to move the colors to the correct slots.

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 04:01:27 PM »
I use UA256. I believe the image distortion occurs if the dimensions are not an even number of pixels. I make my images 90x90, with a one-pixel border around the image I want to use. Then you can select the image okay. If you need at least one pixel at the top and left of the image because the selection box itself is one pixel thick.

Offline Adam

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 04:52:47 PM »
I've never used UA256. 

I reduce my colors in my art program, PaintShopPro ("Xcolors" command, "nearest color" down to 222 colors) and then use Dan Autery's Toolbox proggie to move the colors to the correct slots.

I don't want to hijack the thread, so just a short input there. You know that in Paint Shop Pro (well in version 6 - what I'm using - at least) there is an option to import a palette. It makes doing palette tricks much more easy too with the "maintain indexes" option.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 08:05:51 PM »
I use UA256 on images where the dimensions any even numbers such as 90x108 or 104x94. Then you can use the arrow keys to move the selection square around and crop the image down to 88x88. I reduce the color depth to 224 colors before I use UA256. (256-32=224 and smallpics don't use transparency).

Sometimes, such as for the EGA Demo project, it is easiest to import the palette. This gives you the most control when you don't want colors getting moved around.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com