Author Topic: The text limit  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Ben J

• Keeper of the 44 quest variables
  • Dungeon Craft Tester
  • "See how I reward those who fail me!"
The text limit
« on: April 21, 2009, 11:47:54 AM »
Hi!

The one thing that annoyed me most about FRUA was the text limit. After all, back in '93 when I bought it, the box said that the only limit would be the size of my hard drive. It turns out that you could really only use 100 events per dungeon and that there was a strict limit on the amount of text that could be used.

Has there ever been a hack to circumvent the limit on text and events per dungeon?

Thanks

Ben J
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline Vix

• Mmmm ... Spider Slushies!
  • Administrator
Re: The text limit
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 01:20:28 PM »
Not that I recall, but there was a way to "grow" up to 256 dungeons. Unfortunately al lthe grown dungeons had the same "do only once" bug that plagued Dungeon 36.  =/

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 04:11:14 PM »

256? That's a lot. But if it's like the infamous dungeon 36 with the "do only once" bug, then the new dungeons are almost useless.

I remember that I could use dungeon 36 in my old design only for the "ending scene" because of the damn bug.

Thanks

Ben J

Released designs:

The Sect

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 12:32:21 AM »
Actually, it's a lot more useful than you might think.

You can teleport to one of the additional dungeons to run "Cutscenes" or to run a lot of descriptive text or a long conversation, and then teleport back.  This will save you a *lot* of text space in your main dungeons.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 03:40:18 AM »
If I remember correctly, Thrull managed to include a fix for the "Dungeon 36" bug in the 1.3 patch he's working on. Perhaps it would be possible to fix it in the additional 256 dungeons too then?

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 09:33:22 AM »
That's true.  I wonder how that project is coming along?

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 01:58:03 AM »
Actually, it's a lot more useful than you might think. You can teleport to one of the additional dungeons to run "Cutscenes" or to run a lot of descriptive text or a long conversation, and then teleport back.  This will save you a *lot* of text space in your main dungeons.
Yes, you're right. Actually, I already did the teleporting in some of the maps in my old module, because there was no way to fit all of what I intended to do in one map of a certain city. Having more dungeons would have helped me to add a lot more fun stuff to the game.

Version 1.3 sounds promising.
Released designs:

The Sect

jvarnes

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 03:55:08 PM »
That's true.  I wonder how that project is coming along?

I'm embarrassed to say it's temporarily stalled.  :-[

I recently built myself an "uber computer" with  a quad core processor, 8 gigs RAM, 9800 GT video card, blah-blah-blah...

I was mad that I had not been able to play any of the new games in the last 2 years so I went a bit overboard. Of course now the problem is I have too much to play with (Bioshock, Dead Space, Assassin's Creed, etc.). I haven't even opened all of the roleplayers I have collected last year such as NWN 2 and Oblivion.

So sadly I have neglected my poor copy of FRUA for newer flashier games. I'm sure once I get sufficiently fed up with pretty, but shallow games I will return to working on FRUA projects once again.

In the mean time if anyone wants to take up the gauntlet and build upon the beta I released please do!  I had not yet delved into items or spells so those areas needed the most attention. And of course there's a never ending supply (one might even say unlimited ;)) of core gameplay bugs yet to be squashed!  :o

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 08:13:46 PM »
You could release what you have for now so that we can test it.  And then, you can go back to it later.

jvarnes

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 12:49:16 AM »
You could release what you have for now so that we can test it.  And then, you can go back to it later.

Right here:
http://frua.isgreat.org/index.php?topic=492.30
Scroll down a bit and you will see my post with the attachment.

I would strongly recommend the updated MONST.GLB by Darius as well since it fixes just about everything that can be fixed with the default monsters.

Offline Ben J

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 08:02:47 AM »
Without the text limit in place, I would probably have made the "talkiest" module ever... I intially planned to have an ultima-style conversation menu pop up for every character in my game, but the plan was thwarted by said text- and event-limits. I was only able to implement the conversation-menu for some characters, the others would just say what they had to say at the drop of a hat.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 08:04:50 AM by Ben J »
Released designs:

The Sect

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 03:33:13 PM »

Right here:
http://frua.isgreat.org/index.php?topic=492.30
Scroll down a bit and you will see my post with the attachment.

I would strongly recommend the updated MONST.GLB by Darius as well since it fixes just about everything that can be fixed with the default monsters.

Forgot about this.  Thanks for pointing it out.