Author Topic: REVIEW: Darkness of Sterich (by Shannon Hardt)  (Read 733 times)

Offline Olivier Leroux

• Administrator
  • Yip, yip, yip!
REVIEW: Darkness of Sterich (by Shannon Hardt)
« on: February 02, 2009, 09:32:25 PM »
Darkness over Sterich (queen2.zip)
by Shannon Hardt

Reviewed by johnnyburnaway

I guess it just proves how immature I am, but I like this mod despite all the things I bet other people would hate about it.

#1) One small overland map with VERY little places to go!  I mean, maybe only about 50 squares are open on the map!  In a way, it's really good, because you can always find where you're supposed to go, even if you've had a few days between games and forgotten what you're doing.

#2) Kill, kill, kill!  It's the "Giants" module series (dunno if anything else is in it, I've not finished the mod yet) with a lot of combat and very little else.  Mayhem and bloodshed!

The text is actually very good.  Dunno if it's copied from the GDQ series or if it's very original, cos I never played the GDQ modules on paper.

There's things I'd change, like maybe having at least ONE step-event or rest-event combat encounter in the whole mod.  Then again, I guess I could go in and put the step-events and rest-events in myself, right?  But yeah, if you ever wanted to spend a night or two going through an old-style, first-edition-type, simplistic hack-n-slash mod, this one really does its job.

Offline PetrusOctavianus

Re: REVIEW: Darkness of Sterich (by Shannon Hardt)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 03:33:56 AM »
This was a fun hack and slash adventure based on the classic pen&paper modules collectively known as Against the Giants.

New characters start with 750,000 XP, but I transfered in my victorious party from Scourge of the Slave Lords - http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=2652.0 -, with 50,000 to 70,000 XP and +2-3 equipment, and they did fine. In fact, the most difficult encounter was when my party was surprised by Giant Centipedes and half my party was down after the first round. Otherwise Ice Wolves and the occasional trap did more damage than the giants managed to do.
There's also lots of high level loot to be found in shops (including Rings of Blinking) and dungeons, so this module is a good example of how much an AD&D character is a product of their equipment.

Some way through this module I realized that Ray Dyer had also made a version for his Realms campaign. His version is probably superior, so when I was halfway through the Fire Giant dungeon, and met some Trolls that spawned in an enclosed area and I could not use the wait 25 rounds to win tactic due to Trolls regenerating, I decided it was a good place to quit.

There were some other minor bugs with some stairs and exits missing, but overall it was a good hack and slash adventure.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 03:37:03 AM by PetrusOctavianus »