Author Topic: Possible bug in the Playmovie / AVI event.  (Read 135 times)

Online Mechanaut

Possible bug in the Playmovie / AVI event.
« on: July 21, 2017, 05:01:38 AM »
When I try to play an avi clip, it crashes the game if that clip doesn't have an audio stream; (at least on my own system —Win7~64bit).

Here is a (version 302) mini-mod that demonstrates this. It's two rooms, each with a PlayMovie event that loads the same video; one with sound, and one without.
The one without audio is the trouble maker.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 05:04:17 AM by Mechanaut »

Online manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: Possible bug in the Playmovie / AVI event.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 01:19:59 PM »
Thank you for the mini-mod. i will take a look at this tonight.

Online Mechanaut

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 11:13:53 AM »
The big question for me, is does it crash for everyone else?  (It definitely crashes for me.)

Online manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 12:26:19 PM »
I can't duplicate. In fact, I can't get the aVI to play.

You didn't provide a playfile log, but I assume you just walked forward into each room...

Online Mechanaut

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 01:09:55 PM »
Shocked... I tried it (extracted from the zip), and it didn't work for me either.

The problem comes of using the "extract archive to folder" option to extract. It is that Dungeoncraft seems not to be using a relative file path for the AVIs.  When I extracted the 7zip file, it placed the game folder into a folder of the same name as the one in the archive.
IE. "\Desktop\Bug~videoplayback\Bug~videoplayback", and when run... the game couldn't find the videos; (because of the difference in the complete path)... That's likely a bug too.

I extracted the game a second time, but instead, I pulled the archived Bug~videoplayback folder straight on to the desktop.  Then the mod worked as expected.

Just step into the rooms. The first one plays just fine; the second one crashes the game.  They are the same AVI (settings), except that the second one was saved without audio.

Video recording of it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/izcv0r8mlnei900/DCclip.avi?dl=0
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 01:37:37 PM by Mechanaut »

Online manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 01:26:36 PM »
Two bugs here. Paul and I have to fix the first one before I can even test the second one, unless I want to recreate your folder structure (and I don't).

I will proceed with Paul.

Online Mechanaut

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 02:18:58 PM »
Just extracting the "Bug~videoplayback" folder in the archive to the desktop (or anywhere), will (should) allow the game to find the avi files. The problem (for me) was with 7zip extracting the "Bug~videoplayback" folder itself...into a folder named "Bug~videoplayback".

This resulted in the path:
"c:\users\%username%\Desktop\Bug~videoplayback\Bug~videoplayback\resources"

Instead of:
"c:\users\%username%\Desktop\Bug~videoplayback\resources"  —which works fine.

**But you're right... I wonder if DC uses even the username and/or drive letter of the author's environment to locate the avi? (Obviously the other graphics display just fine—don't they?)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 02:27:57 PM by Mechanaut »

anything