Author Topic: Importing FRUA designs into DC  (Read 210 times)

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Importing FRUA designs into DC
« on: July 13, 2017, 07:30:10 PM »
I am looking for a FRUA user who has a yen to see one or mroe of their designs in Dungeon Craft.
The goal is to take this design from FRUA to DC, working out various issues that arise in the process. I assume that there will be some serious and regular back-and-forth between this person and the development team.
The designs for consideration need to be non-hacked. Until we get that working right, it would be kind of silly to work on hacked FRUA designs.

If this is something that you might want to do, PM me.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Re: Importing FRUA designs into DC
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 10:03:43 AM »
If my time wasn't so compressed at the moment due to work, I would jump on this opportunity.  If no one volunteers, I may have time to help in the future.

Also, is there a reason that the module needs to be unhacked?  I thought all the issues with importing hacked designs had been overcome the last time this was attempted?  Am I mistaken?
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 12:17:36 PM »
I, not even knowing what 'hacked' means, am the
party guilty for saying that we should start with
'un-hacked' designs, thinking that should be easier.

You know more about this subject than I.  If you are
right then that is good news indeed.

I am curious, however, as to why a person would
want to convert an FRUA design to Dungeon Craft.
You, in particular, have always seemed to be of the
opinion that FRUA was superior.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 12:21:35 PM by Paul R. Stevens »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 12:37:33 PM »
FRUA is superior in aesthetics and the way that things are laid out.  DC is superior in functionality and ability.  That is my opinion.  Doesn't mean I expect others to share it.  Also doesn't mean that I don't want DC to improve; because it has long been my desire to see a successful successor to FRUA.

As to why someone would want to convert a module from FRUA to DC, there are many.  I've had designs that just ran out of space in FRUA, where I had to cut whole sections.  This is not an issue in DC.  Unlike others, I actually like the improved graphics that DC offers, even if I do find fighting the interface to be a nightmare at times.  In addition, there is a completely different audience available in DC.

The last time I helped you test, we did so with a hacked module. It imported fine, and we worked out a number of issues until we got to the point where all of the events seemed to be firing without issue.  Obviously, the hacks were likely ignored, but they also weren't necessary, since most of the hacks for FRUA did things like imported new wallsets, changed the frame and altered some of the items...all things you can do in DC without issue.

LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 02:30:33 AM »
If you are talking about converting Dark Alliances for DC, that would be really great. (Easy for me to say I know, since I won't be doing any of the work, and I realise it will be a lot of work.) if you can get that module imported smoothly and then "upgraded" that will be a good test of the importing feature, I think.

More generally, I think one potential way to attract more FRUA people to give DC a try would be to produce high quality versions of some of the most widely appreciated FRUA designs, such as Dark alliances and The Sect. Ideally, for Dark Alliances, there might be a way using the capacities of DC to make clerics a more useful/playable class while still keeping the limits on spell use.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 04:01:03 AM »
A DC version of "The Sect" would be cool. I would support that "graphically" and also help with testing (since I considered playing it again anyway). The question is if Ben J could find time to support such an effort...
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline Jaesun

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 12:29:43 PM »
The attached module is the module I was using to check FRUA to DC conversion. It is 100% not hacked.

It has every conceivable event, checks, a custom monster, a custom NPC etc...

I would be happy to help with this, as this mod will immediately tell you what is working, and what isn't. Last I remembered, custom NPC's and custom monsters were not working. ALL of the events, art and a number of other things were (at the time) working and imported correctly.

Offline Paul R. Stevens

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 11:40:50 AM »
What I really need is someone who wants to convert an
existing FRUA module.  My reasons are threefold:

1) Contrived test cases often fail to reveal subtle bugs.
2) The person who needs the conversion will be inspired to
help me get it done right.
3) A real problem (rather than a test case) will inspire me.

Having said that, if anyone can demonstrate a particular
problem (such as custom monsters), I'll respond.  I'm very
much un-inspired when it comes to constructing tests and
searching for deficiencies.  It is hard, unrewarding  work.

anything