Author Topic: Completed: Helmetlands: The Ambassador's Letter  (Read 301 times)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Completed: Helmetlands: The Ambassador's Letter
« on: April 23, 2017, 11:15:16 AM »
I had already finished "The Ambassador's Letter" some weeks ago, but there was a bug in DC that caused some graphic errors (compare: http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=3466.15). Paul has solved the problem, so I think the design is now well-playable. You can find it here:
http://dhost.info/dinonykos/pageambl.html
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
Re: Completed: Helmetlands: The Ambassador's Letter
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 05:10:04 PM »
Great news! I'm glad we finally got that bug taken care of for you.

Now we can all enjoy your latest design. :D :D :D

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 06:44:37 AM »
Now we can all enjoy your latest design. :D :D :D

Well... "all"? I admit I would already be happy if only a dozen people would play it.  ;)
It would be nice to have some feedback for the insult-based combat, because I think about using this again in future designs...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 06:49:35 AM by Dinonykos »
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 01:15:16 PM »
I think a dozen might be all of us...

I really do have plans to actually play some designs, and your are at the top of my list. :D It is my DC-related New Year's resolution to write reviews for each design that I play, I just need to sit down and play some...

I know the order that you have released your designs, but what is the order that the designs set in the Helmetlands universe take place in? I think I would like to play them from the very first through the latest as they take place in the game world. :))

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 02:03:56 PM »
I will also review more DC designs (I will definetely re-visit the academy sooner or later, too :D ), I have just finished several important projects at work so that I can now relax a little and find time to play.

I already started playing some of those designs for which there are no reviews yet, but to be honest some of them had some flaws which demotivated me a little. Nol Drek's designs and some others of the newer designs, on the other hand, were quite inspiring!

I know the order that you have released your designs, but what is the order that the designs set in the Helmetlands universe take place in? I think I would like to play them from the very first through the latest as they take place in the game world. :))
Not so easy to answer... This is the timeline as far as I have planned it, and green are the completed projects, yellow those in progress, and red those which are only in planning phase.
TimeMarten PlanetHelmettiger/Swork Planet
1999_0?Hyleuzun (Comic)Ambassador's Letter
1999_0?Penthesilea 2 (Comic)
2000_07Rise of the Insectoids
2000_07The Outback Ruins
2000_0?Friedrich's Quest
2001_01Friedrich's Revenge
2001_02Friedrich's Fastnacht
2001_07Snow Tigress
2001_07PraeludiumHide & Seek
2001_08Helmet Menace, Cold Trail
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 05:46:50 AM by Dinonykos »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 02:34:24 PM »
Thank you. Not only do I now know the order which I want to play your designs, I know that we can expect a lot more awesome games to play.

I will play Ambassado's Letter first because I really am interested in yiuor new combat system. :D

edited to add:
The first time your message loaded, the formatting didn't work on my computer and I missed some of them...including Ambassado's Letter which should be played first. :D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 04:00:09 PM by manikus »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 04:22:57 PM »
Where do the other Friedrich stories fir? I suppose in relation to the one that you hav elisted. :)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 11:56:31 PM »
Where do the other Friedrich stories fir? I suppose in relation to the one that you hav elisted. :)
Oh, I forgot Friedrich's Quest, that is only a few weeks before Friedrich's Revenge (now added). I had thought about another Friedrich's Adventure (Friedrich's Fault), but Friedrich's Fastnacht will probably be the third and last. I don't want to overdo the virtual reality thing.

The first time your message loaded, the formatting didn't work on my computer and I missed some of them...including Ambassado's Letter which should be played first. :D

You computer is innocent, I forgot to add the rows to the html code the first time I posted the message...
I think playing Ambassador's Letter first is a good idea, it also contains a short skipable introduction which Snow Tigress lacks.

Thank you. Not only do I now know the order which I want to play your designs, I know that we can expect a lot more awesome games to play.
There are a few more in planning phase but those above already have some substance (meaning graphics and so on plus notes and concepts). Generally, I have decided to make more shorter adventures instead of doing the one epic design I planned to do several years ago. One other design I added is "The Outback Ruins" because I am sure I will do it in the framework of the next one-week challenge.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 05:47:56 AM by Dinonykos »

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 01:01:27 PM »
Cool. :D

All good things to know. I will add Friedrich's Quest into the gueue at it's proper spot.
I think it is very wise to break up the big epic projects into smaller, more manageable designs. Have you thought about building them in such a way as to combine them at a latter point? You would need "master" databases, by which I mean ones that included all the need things (spells, items, etc) for all of the designs. And I think you could assign a block of levels to each, 1-20 for the first, 21-40 for the second, etc. Not that you should do this, just something to consider. ;)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 02:25:06 AM »
All good things to know. I will add Friedrich's Quest into the gueue at it's proper spot.
I think it is very wise to break up the big epic projects into smaller, more manageable designs. Have you thought about building them in such a way as to combine them at a latter point? You would need "master" databases, by which I mean ones that included all the need things (spells, items, etc) for all of the designs. And I think you could assign a block of levels to each, 1-20 for the first, 21-40 for the second, etc. Not that you should do this, just something to consider. ;)

This is a very good concept. I think, though, that in case of my designs it is not neccessary. For example, I plan to exchange the main pre-generated characters from adventure to adventure, and character development in sense of leveling up or getting equipment will not be of much importance.

However, I wondered if the approach you suggest would be something for Milos' Tower project...

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 01:22:52 PM »
It was just a thought - something I will probably try, but you know, not until I have actually made some designs set in the same universe. :D :D :D
Actually, this approach will still work with different pre-generated main characters. You would just need to use a Logic Block event to swap one out (or how many ever) and another one (or several) in to the party.

As for whether or not this would work for Milos project, I have not been following close enough. But, in theory, this will work for anyone.