Author Topic: Stairway to Hell - Going Down  (Read 822 times)

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
Re: Stairway to Hell - Going Down
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2017, 02:39:45 PM »
In addition... there are so many other graphical compromises you have to make in DC/FRUA anyway...

To come back to Marainein's special case: I would expect a stairway to the underworld to look quite irregular, anyway, so making, for example, the steps of the stair look a little broken or variable in size could help mask the prespective issue. In addition, one could make several different versions of the stairs which alternate when walking downstairs (or upstairs).
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2017, 03:43:07 PM »
In addition... there are so many other graphical compromises you have to make in DC/FRUA anyway...

To come back to Marainein's special case: I would expect a stairway to the underworld to look quite irregular, anyway, so making, for example, the steps of the stair look a little broken or variable in size could help mask the prespective issue. In addition, one could make several different versions of the stairs which alternate when walking downstairs (or upstairs).

I am sure you are quite correct. But, that is way more work than I want to do on this. :)

Offline steve_mcdee

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2017, 04:44:03 PM »
Well, if you do it that way, the top step of the first floor blocks the bottome step of the secon floor. You are probably right that no one will notice. I actually thought while posting above that you and I are likely the only two to care about this, and then only in an aceademic sense as this is not our design. ;)
I care. I was generally aware of these sorts of problems, but (a) never got to the point where I could actually articulate the problem or illustrate it diagrammatically, and (b) was pretty sure I wasn't the person to work out the solution. That is why I always use spiral staircases in a stairwell, instead of grand open staircases.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2017, 05:25:52 PM »
Good to know. :D

At some point, I had done some fiddling with wall sizes to actually fit a one-point perspective in the "x" and some work to making it one-point outside of that. I think I will look into that idea again now that I n=know more about what is going on. If I come up with anything, I'll start a thread for it. :)

I think that I will end up using bothe the fist floor and the both floors options and one not shown for all 3 floors. I think it will be more congruous that way.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2017, 01:28:04 PM »
I care.
I was aware that there were others in addition to Manikus and me...  ;)

At some point, I had done some fiddling with wall sizes to actually fit a one-point perspective in the "x" and some work to making it one-point outside of that. I think I will look into that idea again now that I n=know more about what is going on. If I come up with anything, I'll start a thread for it. :)
As much as I like the idea to have a real one-point perspective in FRUA, I wonder who would invest time to do the additional walls needed. I am sure some of us could do it, but I personally would probably rather stick to the default mixture of isometric and one-point perspective and further enhance the variability of available wall themes.
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2017, 01:44:17 PM »
As much as I like the idea to have a real one-point perspective in FRUA, I wonder who would invest time to do the additional walls needed. I am sure some of us could do it, but I personally would probably rather stick to the default mixture of isometric and one-point perspective and further enhance the variability of available wall themes.

A very fair point. :) I expect no one to actually do it. I have interests in this because, while I can render walls/overlays/doors to fit with the current wall layout, they are greatly distorted. I would like to have some renders that weren't so distorted.
There is also the issue of rendered backdrops never working for indoor settings because you can't render in pspective and isometric. ;)

Offline marainein

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2017, 06:08:18 PM »
I do read this thread, interested in any progress that's been made, but I don't usually have any useful perspectives to offer on perspective problems :P

One thought I did have - if it's a problem of stitching together several stairs at near/medium/distant ranges, why not ignore the medium and distant ranges and have the view of looking down a long stairway entirely on the near wall image?

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2017, 11:44:43 PM »
Could a stairway going straight up or straight down be done with a backdrop better than a wall, as chutes & ladders are done?
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2017, 02:33:15 PM »
Progrress has beeen made - I haven't said anything because I have had to start over a couple of times. ;) I have all of the up close walls done, and for some of the views, there are only up close walls. I am not going to post any screenshots until I am done, but I am still working

Nol, anything you can do as a wall, you can do as a backdrop and vice versa.