Author Topic: Attention: One-Week Challenge  (Read 4062 times)

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
Re: Attention: One-Week Challenge
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2017, 10:28:23 PM »
If you're curious what you could be doing while waiting for the challenge to start, here is a list of things that you can do to make your life easier in preparation for the challenge:

- Sketch out your story.
- Draw your map ideas on paper.
- Assemble or create the artwork you will need.
- Gather the hacks (if any) that you want to use.
- Write out your intro or some of your dialogue in a word processor.
- Think about the combat encounters you might have.
- Write out your main quest line, and some side quests.
- Consider new ways to use FRUA or DC.
- Decide if your adventure will be multi-character or single-character
- Play the Gold-Box games or other FRUA/DC games for inspiration!
- Do nothing at all.  (It's an option for those that want it).

Can't wait to start!

So I would not be breaking the rules if I gathered my art and hacks together ahead of time? For some reason, I was under the impression that those would have to be done inside the one week window and I've just been planning them out in Notepad.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline hans

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2017, 10:58:28 PM »
I've begun looking thru art & hacks, already.  Some my own, some from others.  Juanita's site (http://frua.corhub.com/) was an early stop that I've revisited a few times, already.  I've just begun today to look thru some of the more artful & hacked mods I remember, from folks like Ray & Darius & yourself, Nol, among others.  Anything I think I might want, I've been throwing into a folder created for that purpose.  I'm sure I won't be using all of the nice stuff I've been finding, but the process has been giving me a bit of inspiration, as well.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2017, 03:50:21 PM »
So I would not be breaking the rules if I gathered my art and hacks together ahead of time? For some reason, I was under the impression that those would have to be done inside the one week window and I've just been planning them out in Notepad.

I don't think so.  To be fair, though, the rules are whatever you want them to be, as it's an individual challenge.

When I did the four-day challenge, I started with one of my previous modules as a base that already had hacks and artwork added to it.  I think gathering or preparing art in advance is fine.  The challenge (at least to me) is really about putting it all together and getting it all into a working module in seven days once it begins.

If you think it's not in the spirit of the challenge, you can certainly wait.  As I said above, it's an individual challenge and I believe everyone's journey will be different.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2017, 04:03:19 PM »
Personally, I am taking this opportunity of the challenge to forestall perfectionism and produce something playable in the time frame allotted.  For myself: will be using an existing worldhack but will be crafting own art for it outside of the building period.  The building period (the time frame allotted) will be where I do any work at all in the toolset.  So far, I have outlined my building phase according to daily tasks and it is looking like the best design to time ratio I have ever personally attempted.

I see this challenge more as a contest with ourselves between our own expectations, our abilities, and our creativity.  The only winners here, of course, being the community at large  :D

*oops: edit: will include all resources such as music and sfx under the heading of 'art'.

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2017, 05:16:15 PM »
I see this challenge more as a contest with ourselves between our own expectations, our abilities, and our creativity.  The only winners here, of course, being the community at large  :D

This guy gets it.   :)

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2017, 02:15:53 PM »
Would it be in the spirit of this challenge if I make a design based on one of the new areas I've been working on in the IceBlink toolset? It would be a self-contained adventure, so FRUA would be getting an early preview of content that will eventually be part of the Hearkenwold campaign. Knowing the limitations I have, it would take me about a week to create this one area in FRUA, between writing out conversations and constructing encounter events.
"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2017, 07:19:37 PM »
I believe IMHO that this would be in the spirit of the 1 week challenge. You would have an already defined area in the Iceblink toolset that you are recreating in FRUA, which is similar to the idea of creating maps and writing out your storyline on paper beforehand.

ST
PS, I am of the mindset that more the merrier with this. We can always use more mods -- regardless of if they are done in a 1 week time period or not. The general idea behind the 1 week challenge is a challenge for ones self to not get stuck into perfectionism and thus the idea stagnates and dies
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 07:23:02 PM by SilentThief »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2017, 07:34:38 PM »
Would it be in the spirit of this challenge if I make a design based on one of the new areas I've been working on in the IceBlink toolset? It would be a self-contained adventure, so FRUA would be getting an early preview of content that will eventually be part of the Hearkenwold campaign. Knowing the limitations I have, it would take me about a week to create this one area in FRUA, between writing out conversations and constructing encounter events.

It's a personal challenge.  You set your own rules.  If you think it's in the spirit of the challenge, then go for it.  I can't express enough that the only prize you get from this is a finished module and whatever you learn from making it.

Offline Dorateen

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2017, 07:50:22 PM »
All right, consider me participating then. As I was developing this idea, I thought that it could translate well enough to be adapted into a mini-adventure and fun to put out there.

"The curse is time, and the tragedy that we have not enough of it."
~Charlotte, the Village Elder
Hearkenwold

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2017, 12:38:05 PM »
I don't know if we've ever clarified the start date for the challenge.  Here are the days that you will leap into action and work within FRUA:

Start Date:  March 6th, 2017
Finish Date:  March 13th, 2017

Important things to remember:
- Resist going over the deadline.  Try to get your submission uploaded by March 13th.
- Prepare in advance so that you can set aside time during that week to get the project done.
- Keep the scope of your project small enough that you can complete it.
- Don't forget to utilize the time before March 6th to do your preparation.

Offline hans

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2017, 01:55:56 PM »
...Start Date:  March 6th, 2017

Important things to remember:
- Resist going over the deadline.  Try to get your submission uploaded by March 13th...

Yipes.  I've been planning for one week to build my mod (having now outlined a basic plot and dividing an estimated number of dungeons into 7 days), but I didn't figure to have to get all my playtesting done within that same week, too...   :icon_pale: 

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2017, 03:29:12 PM »
Yipes.  I've been planning for one week to build my mod (having now outlined a basic plot and dividing an estimated number of dungeons into 7 days), but I didn't figure to have to get all my playtesting done within that same week, too...   :icon_pale:

If major bugs are discovered after the fact, I'm sure it will be fine to fix those bugs and upload a fixed version.  This challenge is just about you getting done and getting a release in a week.

Also, try not to make mistakes!   ;)

Offline Kaz-Keith

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2017, 04:05:17 PM »

If major bugs are discovered after the fact, I'm sure it will be fine to fix those bugs and upload a fixed version.  This challenge is just about you getting done and getting a release in a week.

Also, try not to make mistakes!   ;)

This is why I am challenging myself with this 1-week build:  I want to get past my perfectionistic tendency and this is a great opportunity to do this.  I've been building artwork and bulking design .tlb animations just because it is something I have wanted to expand in my abilities with FRUA.  The other main issue I have is a solid storyline.  it was the very first thing I worked on, outlined and glossed (went over and edited after periods of time had passed).  In this regard, rereading the UANL articles on building have been very helpful.

I've got a plethora of completed artwork and detail for my (ongoing) FRUA megadungeon build that I have not even been a little tempted at touching for this challenge.  In fact, I've gone ahead and embraced an art style completely out of my comfort zone... this has been an interesting experience already and I've just been relaxing and enjoying the deal.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2017, 07:05:16 PM »
Start Date:  March 6th, 2017

I'm going to start on March 5 and finish on March 11. I am not likely to get much done on a Monday (or any other week day, for that matter). I also prefer weeks which consist of 7 days over 8 day weeks. :-P
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2017, 08:18:51 PM »
I'm going to start on March 5 and finish on March 11. I am not likely to get much done on a Monday (or any other week day, for that matter). I also prefer weeks which consist of 7 days over 8 day weeks. :-P

Also fine.  As long as you're living up to the spirit of the challenge, you're good.

Truth is, I'm half tempted to start mine this week and have it done by next week, but that would feel like breaking a promise or something.