0 (0%)
Min fighter, min thief, then bard
0 (0%)
Middle fighter, middle thief, then bard
1 (20%)
Some other combo
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Bards in Dungeon Craft  (Read 959 times)

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
Re: Bards in Dungeon Craft
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 11:53:08 PM »
Orisons first appeared in the 2e book: Player's Option - Spells & Magic.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline Milos Gulan

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2016, 05:58:04 AM »
Ok, I am still missguided with that revised 1e PHB by Chris Perkins, there are Orisons there beside cantrips, somehow I am not sure as I think I saw them before but I can't remember when. Nm I guess Nol is right :) I am just confused as I have seen few examples of 1e references with Orisons beside cantrips.

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2016, 02:42:43 PM »
I aggree w/ Nol. I think that the 1st edition enthusiasts "retroactively" added them in, because if I recall correctly orisons did not officially appear until 2nd edition

ST the retro

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 03:08:08 PM »
Thanks for the info, Nol. :) I ahve never used the Player Options in a P&P game and didn't think to look there.

I don't know who Chris Perksins is, but he/she didn't write any of the 1e rulebooks. When we do the Forgotten Realms 2e databases, somebody can feel free to add orisons if they would like. :D

Bards don't seem to be eliciting a lot of enthusiasm here...maybe I won't worry about them being in the default databases.
But, do not fear those who would like to use bards, as I will definitely be adding them. And Nol may be the most escited about this, but the whole reason I started on them was because they are needed for the Arthurian characters, because apparently King Arthur is a Paladin/Bard.

Offline Nol Drek

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Nol Drek's Web Site
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 07:42:16 PM »
apparently King Arthur is a Paladin/Bard.

Richard Burton isn't that great a singer... Robert Goulet, on the other hand...

I realize it will be a lot of work to add Bards. They are the inspiration (along with Monks) behind many of the so-called Prestige Classes. I would love to be able to choose "Bard" as my class at level 1, and then allow DC to inform me that I was a Bard (F1) or a Bard (F7/T1) or a Bard (F7/T5/B1) as game play progressed.

I wouldn't mind manually switching classes either, as in Knights of the Sword/Crown/Rose in DL, as long as I was informed of the option and not allowed to miss the opportunity to switch.
"Into the Drachensgrab Mountains!"

http://www.noldrek.com

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2016, 02:39:14 PM »
I plan on doing it the way you suggest, Nol. :D It makes it easier for both player and designer, if a bit more restrictive.

I would love to use a bard in a deign where the player could choose to switch classes, but that is a lot more work than I think people want to do "out of the box".

Off-topic, but related to the DragonLance reference, I have a folder in my databases folder for DragonLance...

Offline Uatu

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • World's Edge
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2016, 07:56:44 AM »
Some cantrips were capable of doing a total of 1 hp damage, I think!  Isn't that worth anything gamewise?  :D
More Dungeon Craft Art at my Web Page: http://dhost.info/uatu

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2016, 01:08:51 PM »
Some cantrips were capable of doing a total of 1 hp damage, I think!  Isn't that worth anything gamewise?  :D

Not in 1e. The insstructions are very specific that they cannot do damage.