Author Topic: Game 39 - Pool of Radiance  (Read 589 times)

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
Game 39 - Pool of Radiance
« on: October 02, 2016, 11:38:55 AM »
Someone on RPG Codex asked this question:

Hello guys.

I'm trying to play Pool of Radiance in FRUA, and it's been great so far, except one huge (imo) problem: The random encounters never seem to stop... I'm in the slums, and must have done about 50 of them, and it's really annoying seeing how i can't get anywhere easily since every other step is a random encounter. Does anyone know anything about this? I know that in the original PoR the random encounters in the Slums stopped after you beat 15 of them, and that was ok, because it allowed you to easily move between the town and the different areas.

So is this normal? do the random encounters ever stop in this remake? Is it by design, or is there a bug on my side that prevents that script from stoppin, or what?
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Ray

Re: Game 39 - Pool of Radiance
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 08:52:01 PM »

That's a problem that has surfaced at least one other time, and I haven't been able to figure out why. 

The wandering encounters in the Slums are supposed to stop after (I think) 15.  But when this happens, the quest variables never tally to the right number (or, more likely, they somehow skip the series of events that are keyed to complete the quest after 15), and that causes the wretched things to go on forever.

I can't recall which quest governs those random encounters after all these years, but this is solved by entering the editor and completing that specific quest.

Offline SilentThief

• Dungeon Craft Tester
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 02:46:42 PM »
I thought that the random encounters stop when you fight the battle near the northwest corner -- I think it was like "you interrupt some orc commanders..." or something like that.

I may be wrong on this, its been forever since I pool-ed around.

ST, who now wants to play PoR

Offline Ray

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 10:20:11 PM »
To be honest, I didn't even realize they stopped until I started working on the FRUA conversion.  It was in the clue book that they end after 15 encounters.  I was like..."What???"

So, I played through and counted, and...I'll be damned, but there it was.  Fifteen of them and then no more!

anything