Author Topic: PREVIEW: Greymist Keep  (Read 3955 times)

Offline Darcnyss

Re: PREVIEW: Greymist Keep
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 10:32:35 AM »
Thank you.
The icons were resized to the standard 96x48 using Rotsprite. I've also found that the combat icons look much smaller at higher resolutions. I originally planned on making the game in 800x600 resolution for more detailed walls, but didn't really like the way combat looked, so I scaled it down to 640x480.

Thanks for showing the background! I think in case of your design, this is indeed the best option to do it. It becomes complicated if you want to have something big (like a big lake)...

I plan on using this method on several of my locations. I'm currently working on a pier and docks for my coastal town.

For now, however, a screenshot of my latest area, the Ghostwoods...

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2016, 11:45:57 AM »
Well, for docks, I think the "floorwall" approach is perhaps more effective, but may not look as convincing...
Compare:
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=2099.0
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=1561.150
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2016, 12:46:20 PM »
Nice looking screenshots. :)

For all of my water needs, I use the backdrop method as well. I think it is less work. :D

I guess that is one drawback to the higher resolutions - we don't resize combat (well, the area viewed at at ime is bigger, but that is it). One of the things I have thought about, was making bigger icons, i.e. a human might be in a 96x48 icon instead of a 48x48. The big drawback to this method is that we can't add another "story" to combat walls. One ig advantage though, there are lots of great sprites on the internet that fit easily into this larger size.

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2016, 01:21:43 PM »
Well, for docks, I think the "floorwall" approach is perhaps more effective, but may not look as convincing...
Compare:
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=2099.0
http://ua.reonis.com/index.php?topic=1561.150

That method could be very useful for some of what I have planned. Thanks for that, Dinonykos!

Nice looking screenshots. :)

For all of my water needs, I use the backdrop method as well. I think it is less work. :D

I guess that is one drawback to the higher resolutions - we don't resize combat (well, the area viewed at at ime is bigger, but that is it). One of the things I have thought about, was making bigger icons, i.e. a human might be in a 96x48 icon instead of a 48x48. The big drawback to this method is that we can't add another "story" to combat walls. One ig advantage though, there are lots of great sprites on the internet that fit easily into this larger size.

Thanks again, Manikus.
I have found the backdrop method to be pretty easy to pull off. I've set up some templates for it in Photoshop for all I might need.
The ideas you have for the higher resolution combats sound extremely interesting. I'd love to see how that would finally look if it can be implemented.

These following two screenshots are views of the pier, which was constructed using a combination of backdrops and walls. I rather like the way it came out.

Offline Dinonykos

• Dungeon Craft Tester
    • Dinonykos Dungeon Craft
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2016, 01:33:08 PM »
Really impressive!
Find four contributions to the Pre-Generated Character Mini-Module Design Contest on my homepage.
New: THE AMBASSADOR'S LETTER, my contribution to the 7-day-challenge.
DINONYKOS DUNGEON CRAFT DESIGN HOMEPAGE

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2016, 01:38:59 PM »
Very nice!

I have made docks that look very similar to those. :D :D :D

Layers are our friends. I have a water backdrop file with the 7 river masks (front far away/near by/up close, left near by/up close, right near by/up close). Pier masks require a few more options, but same principle.

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2016, 01:45:26 PM »
My thanks to both of you again. I have noticed,  however, that the posts on the right side of the  pier seem to be shifted a few pixels to the left...I need to fix that!

Manikus, that's the same layer mask approach that I use. Very useful!

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2016, 04:05:12 PM »
Maybe you tested DC with different resolution? The icons look indeed very small in DC when you use the 800x600 or 1024x768 resolution - here you have them in 640x480...

Nope.  Did all my work in 640x480.  Has there been some change in the graphic size?
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2016, 04:09:00 PM »
No change since I started here.

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2016, 04:29:29 PM »
I think it might have to do with the way FRUA sprites are drawn in the limited space you have for the icons. You have to use more of the canvas to make your character look good.
DC doubles the icon size, which gives you a chance to add more detail without using up all the space.
So, in effect, FRUA icons do in fact look larger,  because they have to use more image space.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 05:31:41 PM by Darcnyss »

Offline ProphetSword

• Mod Designer
  • Administrator
  • FRUA Lives!
    • Lands of Adventure
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2016, 09:28:44 PM »
That's probably what it is, then.  They stand out a bit better; because they fill out the space.  Mystery solved, then.
LANDS OF ADVENTURE: An Old-School Style CRPG

More Information Here: http://landsadventure.blogspot.com/

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2016, 10:57:24 PM »
They stand out a bit better; because they fill out the space.

Yup. That's about it. Hehehe. I got unnecessarily verbose on that one, when I could have just said that.

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2016, 09:24:15 AM »
Even though I really like my wood and vine frame, I think that something like this dark marble frame would fit the mood of the module better.

Offline manikus

• Skriptor
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2016, 01:13:52 PM »
Ilike the new frame - very reminiscent of FRUA.

Offline Darcnyss

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2016, 01:16:28 PM »
Thanks Manikus. FRUA was indeed the inspiration for the frame.

anything